'22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
mmmm8

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 pm
^ Yes, Isner's post match interview was quite classy.
While Isner's politics, etc. have been criticized (by people who like to call themselves 'non-judgemental'!), he has always been one of the most well liked and respected players on the tour by his peers. That should tell you something.
James Blake is also one of Isner's best friends, by the way.
Oh good, he has a black friend. He's also friends with Justin Gimelstob, so he probably loves assaulting people.

I'd like to pause here to clarify I'm very judgmental, in case there's doubt.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I have a question with the talk of screaming after points and disruptions. I am wondering what everyone thinks of grunting during play?

I am one that does it during play and really have never had an opponent complain about it. Do you see it as a disruption or is it ok and something that helps the player stay pumped during the rallies?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:15 pm
JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm I'll be anxiously awaiting all the posts from you guys about your favorite players needing to be warned and penalized for their various breaking of the rules when it occurs in the name of fairness now.
Oh, HELL, I ain't gonna be a hypocrite here. If this scenario were to happen here at Wimbledon to Petra, or in the future (LOL, I know, RIGHT, in the future!!) to Venus or Roger- I'd go ballistic, and delete every piece of evidence of my opinions expressed here today or anywhere else.

So, basically, it is impossible to be objective if you are a fan?
I was a huge fan of Justine, Yet, I am not going to be so blind as to say the RG "Lifting her hand" vs Serena was not total crap, nor am I going to be here pontificating that Carlos and her did not carry a full fledge conversation throughout her entire career. On court.
Love Rafa, but there is no way I am going to come here and say he has never incurred into a time violation.
Or Novak's 73 bounces before he serves.
Loved Connnors but, you know, should he had been defaulted at least 5 times in his career? Start the petition, I'll sign it.
Some people can be objective. And, for what is worth: I like Foki A LOT. He seems to be a hell of a guy and it is too bad he does not last longer at tournaments because he seems cool. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, as much as Kyrgios' behavior on court is something I do not approve, I am not going to be a hypocrite and deny him THIS GESTURE, and THIS ONE, and THIS ONE. He is truly Jeckyll-and-Hyde'an in his life but, when he is Dr. Jekyll, kudos to him.

Sure, let's keep track of our inconsistencies. I feel good about my chances.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm I have a question with the talk of screaming after points and disruptions. I am wondering what everyone thinks of grunting during play?

I am one that does it during play and really have never had an opponent complain about it. Do you see it as a disruption or is it ok and something that helps the player stay pumped during the rallies?
Very grey area. I play in total silence, to the point that I can go an entire match without even calling score (not what you are talking about).
You grunt when you have already hit 15 strokes in the rally and are running full stretch for #16? That sounds reasonable. You are still grunting when the ball is about to reach your opponent? Now it gets iffy.
In martial arts, grunting is used as a mean to generate more power, so there is something to it.
To me, the line was crossed by Seles. That was too much for me (and I loved her). Today, Munar was obviously doing strategic grunting, starting to do it late in the sets, and in the 30-30 points and after.
So: if you consistently come up with a "Uhg" after every stroke, from the beginning, I say fine. If you go full Michelle Larcher de Brito and go a full "WEEEEIIIIOOOOUUUUUU-OOOOAAAAAAEEEEIIIE LEROLEROLERO!!!!!!!" after every stroke, man, would I call you for a hindrance.
(I would last ONE match at either tour, as a chair umpire).
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pmSo, basically, it is impossible to be objective if you are a fan?
I was a huge fan of Justine, Yet, I am not going to be so blind as to say the RG "Lifting her hand" vs Serena was not total crap, nor am I going to be here pontificating that Carlos and her did not carry a full fledge conversation throughout her entire career. On court.
Love Rafa, but there is no way I am going to come here and say he has never incurred into a time violation.
Or Novak's 73 bounces before he serves.
Loved Connnors but, you know, should he had been defaulted at least 5 times in his career? Start the petition, I'll sign it.
Some people can be objective. And, for what is worth: I like Foki A LOT. He seems to be a hell of a guy and it is too bad he does not last longer at tournaments because he seems cool. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, as much as Kyrgios' behavior on court is something I do not approve, I am not going to be a hypocrite and deny him THIS GESTURE, and THIS ONE, and THIS ONE. He is truly Jeckyll-and-Hyde'an in his life but, when he is Dr. Jekyll, kudos to him.

Sure, let's keep track of our inconsistencies. I feel good about my chances.
Ponchi. Come on. Please tell me that you get that there was a lot of joshing involved with my post?!?!

I'm the one who has more historical knowledge of the game than most, and I do respect the rules of the game. Not at all sure why you quoted me here- especially out of context when reading through my entire post.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 pm I'd scream too. That was some hitting by both women.
It was even more insane live.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

@ Nelslus (previous post). Because you claimed you were not going to be a hypocrite and said that if that would have happened to Roger or Venus you would be complaining.
And I sort of not believe you, because I am not sure if you would not side with the rules, and, as you say, I know there was a lot of joshing in your post. As in 99% of your posts.
I'll even use your favorite emoji here in mine... :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

Especially as I've aged, I tend to grunt a bit when truly extra effort is needed. I otherwise keep as silent as I can. I don't ever remember being bothered by an opponent's grunts or whatever. I do try to get as Zen whenever I've played (I may be retired from playing now- still debating this.) I'm sure it would bother me if the grunting and noise happened while I'm trying to hit the ball. But, I doubt that I'd bring it up- I possibly just wouldn't play with that person again, if anything did bother me. (I have stopped playing with folks who clearly cheat.)

As a fan, it can make me crazy with the truly extremely loud grunters and screamers. I don't go out of my way to, say, watch Azarenka, and only watched Maria when it looked like she was going to lose.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:02 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm I have a question with the talk of screaming after points and disruptions. I am wondering what everyone thinks of grunting during play?

Very grey area. I play in total silence, to the point that I can go an entire match without even calling score (not what you are talking about).
You grunt when you have already hit 15 strokes in the rally and are running full stretch for #16? That sounds reasonable. You are still grunting when the ball is about to reach your opponent? Now it gets iffy.
In martial arts, grunting is used as a mean to generate more power, so there is something to it.
To me, the line was crossed by Seles. That was too much for me (and I loved her). Today, Munar was obviously doing strategic grunting, starting to do it late in the sets, and in the 30-30 points and after.
So: if you consistently come up with a "Uhg" after every stroke, from the beginning, I say fine. If you go full Michelle Larcher de Brito and go a full "WEEEEIIIIOOOOUUUUUU-OOOOAAAAAAEEEEIIIE LEROLEROLERO!!!!!!!" after every stroke, man, would I call you for a hindrance.
(I would last ONE match at either tour, as a chair umpire).
Nah, I just grunt while I am at the hitting point of my shot. I don't carry the grunt over to where it is echoing still when my opponent is striking the ball on the other side of the net. That would be craziness. I think I do it because I feel it generates more power. I really don't know if it actually does but in my head it says it does. The ball probably does not move any faster if I'd try it without the grunt. I am so used to doing it now since I have been doing it for years and yes my grunt has going from a 10 year old high pitched squeal of a little thing to a more solid teen girly grunt now. :lol:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 pm As for Social Media even being a teenager I have never really liked it. Even being 16 years old so I am not a young teen my mom still filters how I use and what I use on Social Media and I really don't mind that at all. I also had a friend bullied on Social Media really badly and that was not cool at all so my view on Social Media and people being jerks on it is pretty strong...
Once she is finished raising you, your mom should rent herself out as a 'social media monitor' for other kids.

About 20 years ago, upon seeing kids from about 8 to 14 years old at the public library doing things on the internet that they shouldn't be doing, I said to the librarian "It has now reached the point where kids are coming to the library to do things on the internet that they're very likely not allowed to do at home. It's ridiculous."
The librarian responded "Well, what do you want me to do - look over their shoulder to see what they're doing?"
I said "YES! That's exactly what needs to be done. These are kids. Impressionable, easily influenced children. With the internet, they are being targeted and influenced more than ever before."

Anyway...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:12 pm @ Nelslus (previous post). Because you claimed you were not going to be a hypocrite and said that if that would have happened to Roger or Venus you would be complaining.
And I sort of not believe you, because I am not sure if you would not side with the rules, and, as you say, I know there was a lot of joshing in your post. As in 99% of your posts.
I'll even use your favorite emoji here in mine... :gorgeous:
THERE you go. Of course, after perhaps a moment or two of my own personal fan insanity- I'd always back up with rules being followed by all players, including my favorites, and calling out players who messed up. Albeit, perhaps I wouldn't be quite as quick to do so concerning my favorites. :shock:

See, I'm also cool with Jazz's post, in the sense that many of us don't want to see the worst in our favorites, or have them receive any punishments. I remain truly bummed about Tiger for example- and not because he turned out to be a trollop- that was for his wife to deal with- which, she most definitely did. (AND, I hated when V posted to Novak, before he was kicked out, being all positive and wishing him well to win.) SO- I'll always work on negating my potential to want to be a hypocrite with my favorites, and call all us out (including most definitely myself) as needed.

BTW, I also have no gripes at all with Davidovich Fokina, and I was rooting for him today- EVEN though he got me out of the men's Pool with his first match. I haven't followed his game all that much. But, when I've seen him play, I've enjoyed what he brings to the court. I also respect the way he handled things after the match (barring, LOL, if he said something hideous to the umpire that we couldn't hear, etc.

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pmNah, I just grunt while I am at the hitting point of my shot. I don't carry the grunt over to where it is echoing still when my opponent is striking the ball on the other side of the net. That would be craziness. I think I do it because I feel it generates more power. I really don't know if it actually does but in my head it says it does. The ball probably does not move any faster if I'd try it without the grunt. I am so used to doing it now since I have been doing it for years and yes my grunt has going from a 10 year old high pitched squeal of a little thing to a more solid teen girly grunt now. :lol:
Spoiler alert: I don't think you'll ever need to worry about any of this. Plus, now you have a room full of geezers, ready to pounce on anyone who ever gives you any grief. ;)

PS: If you need to shriek like a banshee to beat Coco Gauff when we pick you at the 2025 Wimbledon Pool, please do so. (AND, don't worry- 2025 Wimbledon will not become an ongoing theme here.)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pmNah, I just grunt while I am at the hitting point of my shot. I don't carry the grunt over to where it is echoing still when my opponent is striking the ball on the other side of the net. That would be craziness. I think I do it because I feel it generates more power. I really don't know if it actually does but in my head it says it does. The ball probably does not move any faster if I'd try it without the grunt. I am so used to doing it now since I have been doing it for years and yes my grunt has going from a 10 year old high pitched squeal of a little thing to a more solid teen girly grunt now. :lol:
Spoiler alert: I don't think you'll ever need to worry about any of this. Plus, now you have a room full of geezers, ready to pounce on anyone who ever gives you any grief. ;)

PS: If you need to shriek like a banshee to beat Coco Gauff when we pick you at the 2025 Wimbledon Pool, please do so. (AND, don't worry- 2025 Wimbledon will not become an ongoing theme here.)
I think I would do more than shriek. If that were to happen I think I would somehow find a way to get to the Royal Box and kiss Prince Harry's. Since we are dreaming I might as well dream big. :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:50 pm [...
I think I would do more than shriek. If that were to happen I think I would somehow find a way to get to the Royal Box and kiss Prince Harry's. Since we are dreaming I might as well dream big. :lol:
"How to ruin a sterling reputation with just four words" by Cuckoo4Coco. Available at Amazon and other fine stores. ;)
(Just that every time I hear about prince Harry I can only think of is the opening scene of MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE, which you would know nothing about, and, well, :vomit: )

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:03 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:50 pm [...
"How to ruin a sterling reputation with just four words" by Cuckoo4Coco. Available at Amazon and other fine stores. ;)
(Just that every time I hear about prince Harry I can only think of is the opening scene of MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE, which you would know nothing about, and, well, :vomit: )
Nope, don't know what Monty Pythons The Meaning Of Life is. I have heard of Eric Idle because was a part of a Disney ride at Epcot and I know he was part of all of that way back when he was younger.

I think out of all the Royals Prince Harry is the coolest and the cutest. :P The Queen is also super awesome just because she has been around for like forever. ;)