'22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:12 pm Hey Tommy Paul won!!!!!! :yahoo: :freaking: :bananas:

On a sad note though Emma lost. :(
:) See, we know what we're doing!

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm So Ramos enforced a rule on match point? And he is the bad guy? :roll:
Yeah that rule is probably black and white. The umpire owes it to the opponent to enforce it. He has to. Not his fault ADF broke a rule.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tan deprived Korpatsch of what for her was probably a big pay day. If Tan was going to withdraw she could've done it so Korpatsch had time to find a new partner. Withdrawing via text one hour before the match was set to start was tacky. I'd be pissed off too.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:12 pm Hey Tommy Paul won!!!!!! :yahoo: :freaking: :bananas:

:lol: I think you were right when you said the men's side is a bit easier than the ladies side. I lost with Serena yesterday but if I would have won I would have picked Mertens today and she is struggling badly. It also looks like a ton of members picked Mertens.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It seems like that right now, but I bet <10 players will last to QF's in either draw.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm

:lol: I think you were right when you said the men's side is a bit easier than the ladies side. I lost with Serena yesterday but if I would have won I would have picked Mertens today and she is struggling badly. It also looks like a ton of members picked Mertens.
That's what we call a "bandwagon" in an SP. I wanted to avoid the Mertens bandwagon. I almost picked her, too. I like to take some calculated risks in SPs, kind of like how I play tennis. :) some of them are just bad decisions, like today picking Kalinina when I knew nothing about her, just that she was seeded and her opponent (who I know is a veteran) isn't.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:54 pm

That's what we call a "bandwagon" in an SP. I wanted to avoid the Mertens bandwagon. I almost picked her, too. I like to take some calculated risks in SPs, kind of like how I play tennis. :) some of them are just bad decisions, like today picking Kalinina when I knew nothing about her, just that she was seeded and her opponent (who I know is a veteran) isn't.
I think my pick for Day 4 on the men's side is going to be one that will not be bandwagoned. A player I know pretty much nothing about in Van De Zandsculp.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Mertens is another player who seems to have suddenly lost her mojo.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm So Ramos enforced a rule on match point? And he is the bad guy? :roll:
Yes. There is such a thing as discretion, which every chair employs on various occasions in the course of the match. Calling a penalty on match point should be reserved for the most egregious of egregious acts and this was nowhere close to that, it was something that would've been ignored had it not been called. It was truly nothing.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:01 pm
Yes. There is such a thing as discretion, which every chair employs on various occasions in the course of the match. Calling a penalty on match point should be reserved for the most egregious of egregious acts and this was nowhere close to that, it was something that would've been ignored had it not been called. It was truly nothing.
It's Carlos Ramos. It's how he rolls.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No. The rule does not say "it is up to the discretion of the Chair Umpire to decide when to enforce this or any other rule".
Because if that is the case, then all rules are discretionary. And therefore, they are not rules.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

'22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
I think my pick for Day 4 on the men's side is going to be one that will not be bandwagoned. A player I know pretty much nothing about in Van De Zandsculp.
Well, you are talking to a big Botic fan. :) not bad because he is in Nadal’s section so you want to use him before R4. But I’m concerned about his opponent, a very big server. I’d like Botic’s chance in the next round better, against McDonald or Gasquet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

Well, you are talking to a big Botic fan. :) not bad because he is in Nadal’s section so you want to use him before R4. But I’m concerned about his opponent, a very big server. I’d like Botox’s chance in the next round better, against McDonald or Gasquet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always go with my first gut feeling.

Mertens has evened up the match at 1 set a piece and play is suspended until tomorrow.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:42 pm Tan deprived Korpatsch of what for her was probably a big pay day. If Tan was going to withdraw she could've done it so Korpatsch had time to find a new partner. Withdrawing via text one hour before the match was set to start was tacky. I'd be pissed off too.
She can be pissed off. I'd be pissed off. But going public with it and trying to get the internet to go after a player is another thing entirely and she's not young enough to claim she didn't know what she was doing. It worked, people have turned on Tan, but it also backfired on her spectacularly.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:08 pm No. The rule does not say "it is up to the discretion of the Chair Umpire to decide when to enforce this or any other rule".
Because if that is the case, then all rules are discretionary. And therefore, they are not rules.
Oh please. What match have you watched where discretion hasn't been employed by the chair? It's 30 seconds for a serve and they get to set when the clock starts, sometimes it's quick, sometimes much longer. Clock goes over, no warning issued. I hear F-bombs all the time in matches, including every day this week. Was a warning or penalty issued? Not one.