'22 Wimbledon Day 5 OoP and Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 5 OoP and Discussion

Post by Suliso »

By the way Swiatek has reached the 2nd week in seven straight Slams. Let's see if Cornet can really end that mini streak.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Aren't we forgetting that Iga is a very motivated player? I know, she is 21, and I did say that if Cornet beats her I will not be surprised, but Iga is not just a backhand. She has the drive.
If Iga wins, it can be in two. But if Cornet wins, it will be in three, and Iga in a third set is a tough out.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Of course we're not forgetting that. Upset is not impossible, but Iga remains a strong pre match favorite.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Cornet has only made the 4th round here once, so I think it will be a tough task for her.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

When I looked at the draw when it came out and everyone was saying how Iga was going to cruise through to the Finals and win the title the Alize Cornet match was the first match that popped out to me on her road to the final that could be a stumbling block for her. The more I thought about it the more I just thought the veteran player who is pretty decent on grass could give Iga fits. I just don't know why and I am probably wrong with the prediction but I think there just might be an upset tomorrow.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I say, if she passes Alize, she gets, probably, Barbora. And Kerjcikova is an adept net player (very good in doubles), with a slam under her belt, and in need of a good result to start her way back into the top 10, if she can make it.
That seems to me a tougher test. Anyway, tomorrow I will be glued watching that match (because I have always liked Alize).

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Looks like the Iga and Alize match is scheduled for 10 a.m. my time so I don't know if I will be able to see the entire match with heading out to my own practice at 11 a.m.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Rybakina has the game, but nowhere near the belief, to win a slam. I did not even have her making the third round, but she can beat anyone in the draw on a given day if she is plays at the top of her game. Her first serve may be the best on tour when she is confident.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 pm When I looked at the draw when it came out and everyone was saying how Iga was going to cruise through to the Finals and win the title the Alize Cornet match was the first match that popped out to me on her road to the final that could be a stumbling block for her. The more I thought about it the more I just thought the veteran player who is pretty decent on grass could give Iga fits. I just don't know why and I am probably wrong with the prediction but I think there just might be an upset tomorrow.
I love the conviction. And you could be right. It will be a good test to see where Iga is. Cornet can drive people crazy. But Iga seems to be ultra prepared and in total control these days.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 pm When I looked at the draw when it came out and everyone was saying how Iga was going to cruise through to the Finals and win the title the Alize Cornet match was the first match that popped out to me on her road to the final that could be a stumbling block for her. The more I thought about it the more I just thought the veteran player who is pretty decent on grass could give Iga fits. I just don't know why and I am probably wrong with the prediction but I think there just might be an upset tomorrow.
I love the conviction. And you could be right. It will be a good test to see where Iga is. Cornet can drive people crazy. But Iga seems to be ultra prepared and in total control these days.
I am excited to see some of the match and even when I am out of the court I will be asking my coach for updates which he probably won't give me but I can still bug him and ask. :lol:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was really surprised to se Sakkari lose this round. I've Tatiana Maria play before and I wonder what she did to take Sakkari out of her game?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 Wimbledon Day 5 OoP and Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:I was really surprised to se Sakkari lose this round. I've Tatiana Maria play before and I wonder what she did to take Sakkari out of her game?
Someone mentioned that she was very aggressive on second serve returns. And chipped and charged. Wicked-dirty slice forehand.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 pm Aren't we forgetting that Iga is a very motivated player? I know, she is 21, and I did say that if Cornet beats her I will not be surprised, but Iga is not just a backhand. She has the drive.
If Iga wins, it can be in two. But if Cornet wins, it will be in three, and Iga in a third set is a tough out.
I did predict the upset, but I never said it was going to be a cake walk for Alize. I think the 1st set is a crucial one for Alize where she has to set the tone of the match and get under the skin on Iga. The 1st set may come down to a tie breaker or a 7-5 which is what I think is the really crucial part especially for Alize. If she wins either a tie breaker or 7-5 in the 1st set then the pressure really mounts on Iga. All that Alize has to do in the 2nd set is to continue to play her game and let Iga press and possibly end up making more mistakes. All it will take is 1 break of serve for Alize and she could be on her way to winning the match. I know that is a lot of "Ifs" and it is gonna be a very tough match, but I think it can be done.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 pm I was really surprised to se Sakkari lose this round. I've Tatiana Maria play before and I wonder what she did to take Sakkari out of her game?
An excellent, tactical match. She gave Sakkari no pace, and as I said above, her slice/slap FH worked wonders. She was literally hitting forehands with a continental grip, exaggerating the spin. Then, again and again, she mixed her net approaches: coming behind chips, staying back and coming in as the ball was floating in. She served with a lot of angles, not going for speed but giving her some time to rush in (when serving and volleying).
On MP, she saw Sakkari standing a bit behind the baseline, and hit her 1000th slap FH, which landed inside the service box, forcing Sakkari to move in and try to hit an approach from a very low ball. Sakkari netted it.
It was ugly, strokes-wise, but brilliant tactically.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thank you all for describing what happened to Sakkari.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein