'22 Wimbledon Day 5 OoP and Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 5 OoP and Discussion

Post by Suliso »

I hope it's Alcaraz vs Sinner in the next round. Could be fun.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Really great high quality grass court match between Zhang and Garcia. Caroline's serve and her volleying really came thru for her when she needed it the most and it put her over the edge, but a really great overall match from both.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Not many surprises today maybe except for Mertens which I think she played back to the way she is capable of playing and just took the match from Kerber. Some really good tennis though today.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:35 pm Not many surprises today maybe except for Mertens which I think she played back to the way she is capable of playing and just took the match from Kerber. Some really good tennis though today.
Wozniacki called the match and said that Mertens has improved her serve. Was up to 114. Kerber didn't have her A game enough today.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:17 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:35 pm Not many surprises today maybe except for Mertens which I think she played back to the way she is capable of playing and just took the match from Kerber. Some really good tennis though today.
Wozniacki called the match and said that Mertens has improved her serve. Was up to 114. Kerber didn't have her A game enough today.
Mertens is playing well but it looks like her path is through Jabeur and she seems like she is playing fantastic and I think that is where it ends for Mertens.

On another note, I am watching Venus Williams right now in Mixed doubles and she still hits the heck out of the ball.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:27 pm
Mertens is playing well but it looks like her path is through Jabeur and she seems like she is playing fantastic and I think that is where it ends for Mertens.

On another note, I am watching Venus Williams right now in Mixed doubles and she still hits the heck out of the ball.
Yes, Jabeur-Mertens will be a totally different match. Wozniacki also mentioned that Kerber's lefty serve goes right into Mertens's backhand, which she loves.

Venus is 41 years old with an autoimmune disease! Isn't it crazy? She is amazing and truly loves to compete.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:29 pm

Yes, Jabeur-Mertens will be a totally different match. Wozniacki also mentioned that Kerber's lefty serve goes right into Mertens's backhand, which she loves.
Mertens will really have to step it up even more. I wouldn't be surprised if Jabeur makes it to the Finals. Hopefully against Gauff.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:32 pm

Mertens will really have to step it up even more. I wouldn't be surprised if Jabeur makes it to the Finals. Hopefully against Gauff.
Jabeur is my pick for the title, but I'm kind of covering my eyes with that one. I do think she can get to the final if she can handle the nerves. She's playing brilliantly and seems to believe.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

But could she deal with Ostapenko if the latter shows up with her A game?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:34 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:32 pm

Jabeur is my pick for the title, but I'm kind of covering my eyes with that one. I do think she can get to the final if she can handle the nerves. She's playing brilliantly and seems to believe.
I originally picked Ostapenko coming out of that side and I am gonna stick with that but I am afraid Jabeur might take her down. I of course have Gauff winning the Title and in the SF beating Pegula.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:36 pm But could she deal with Ostapenko if the latter shows up with her A game?
Hard to say. Ostapenko can blast anyone off the court with her A game, but bringing it for 6 matches in a row is a big if. She hasn't done it that consistently more than a couple times.
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:32 pm Mertens will really have to step it up even more. I wouldn't be surprised if Jabeur makes it to the Finals. Hopefully against Gauff.
It will be very impressive if Pegula goes deep, what with her mom's recent cancer diagnosis.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Gauff maybe, in Pegula's chances I really don't believe at all.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

In Pegula her mom's health has to be on her mind all the time and that has to be really hard on her. I don't know if tennis is something that helps her block that out for at least the little bit of time she is on the court.

With Pegula's chances I am banking on Iga losing to Cornet in the next match. That will be a huge help for her if that happens. Rybakina could also be another player that knocks her out before the SF hopefully against Gauff, but the way I figured it is a few things had to work out in her favor to make things a bit easier for her to reach the SF's.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There are stronger players in that quarter even without Iga. In particular Krejcikova and Zheng.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I think Rybakina poses a threat to Krejcikova and even though I do think Zheng would give Pegula a tough match I don't think she gets past her. I also think the way things have gone in the women's draw you can never count out the upsets so I think there will be more along the way.