'22 Wimbledon Juniors Draws & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Juniors Draws & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:34 pm ...

Sometimes when these big events come along and I get to watch these Juniors play the thought comes into my head "What If". What if, I took that path to attend an academy and become a Junior player. Would I be one of these girls in London right now playing at Wimbledon? It crosses my mind. I practice a lot and feel I give a lot to my training as these girls probably do every single day. I just ask myself sometimes what is it extra that they do to be able to get where they are? Does it take hiring one of these super high profile tennis coaches or going to an academy? Does it take being home schooled or doing online school or even school at an academy? How do some of these young girls get endorsements? i know how I get my equipment and that is from my grandpa, but how do they get all this stuff? How do they get the money to travel to all these places? I wonder about all of this stuff. Maybe this is something I should ask my coach. My coach is a pretty successful local coach, but not like a high profile coach. He is successfully leading me on the path to a bright future in college, but as a kid these thoughts do enter my head.
At the same club where I played (above story) there was this other kid. Super talented. By 13, basically unbeatable.
Then his DAD (not him) decided he was going to be a pro. He dropped from school, and was at the club training, day in, day out. Not two hours, the full day. He seemed to be very much into it, and he was, I repeat, very talented. He had a name that was very similar to one of the top players in the world at the time (former #1), so it was easy to follow any sort of success.
He never made it past the challenger level. And I wonder what else he did, because his education was basically non-existent, in a continent in which having a College Degree guarantees nothing, but NOT having a college degree guarantees you will never make it anywhere (maybe you can become a businessman).
It is easy to see, for example, the Williams Sisters and get all caught up in that story. But people fail to see the other side, because that story does not get turned into a movie, is of no interest. There must be many, many young players that looked like future stars, and then, they met the other future stars, and so on. Remember: a pro will play for roughly a decade. But, at best, there will be 10 WImbledon winners in a decade (by definition). The number of players that will make it is minute. For every Serena (i.e. only one) there are thousands that somebody thought "she will make it" and then didn't.
Your plan is solid. IF you have the talent for the pros, you will be spotted once you get to your college. Remember that the US system produces good players. Collins, Brady, many others. If you will be bound for Wimbledon in 2026, your college coach will see that. If not, you will come out of college with a degree, hopefully in a field you will enjoy, and will have a lovely, professional life.
On top of being one very, very, very good tennis player.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:34 pm ...

Sometimes when these big events come along and I get to watch these Juniors play the thought comes into my head "What If". What if, I took that path to attend an academy and become a Junior player. Would I be one of these girls in London right now playing at Wimbledon? It crosses my mind. I practice a lot and feel I give a lot to my training as these girls probably do every single day. I just ask myself sometimes what is it extra that they do to be able to get where they are? Does it take hiring one of these super high profile tennis coaches or going to an academy? Does it take being home schooled or doing online school or even school at an academy? How do some of these young girls get endorsements? i know how I get my equipment and that is from my grandpa, but how do they get all this stuff? How do they get the money to travel to all these places? I wonder about all of this stuff. Maybe this is something I should ask my coach. My coach is a pretty successful local coach, but not like a high profile coach. He is successfully leading me on the path to a bright future in college, but as a kid these thoughts do enter my head.
At the same club where I played (above story) there was this other kid. Super talented. By 13, basically unbeatable.
Then his DAD (not him) decided he was going to be a pro. He dropped from school, and was at the club training, day in, day out. Not two hours, the full day. He seemed to be very much into it, and he was, I repeat, very talented. He had a name that was very similar to one of the top players in the world at the time (former #1), so it was easy to follow any sort of success.
He never made it past the challenger level. And I wonder what else he did, because his education was basically non-existent, in a continent in which having a College Degree guarantees nothing, but NOT having a college degree guarantees you will never make it anywhere (maybe you can become a businessman).
It is easy to see, for example, the Williams Sisters and get all caught up in that story. But people fail to see the other side, because that story does not get turned into a movie, is of no interest. There must be many, many young players that looked like future stars, and then, they met the other future stars, and so on. Remember: a pro will play for roughly a decade. But, at best, there will be 10 WImbledon winners in a decade (by definition). The number of players that will make it is minute. For every Serena (i.e. only one) there are thousands that somebody thought "she will make it" and then didn't.
Your plan is solid. IF you have the talent for the pros, you will be spotted once you get to your college. Remember that the US system produces good players. Collins, Brady, many others. If you will be bound for Wimbledon in 2026, your college coach will see that. If not, you will come out of college with a degree, hopefully in a field you will enjoy, and will have a lovely, professional life.
Thank you and I think deep down I really know that but a lot of times I just need to hear it from time to time. I get that dream mentality in my head going and then all of the sudden I an watching these girls my age playing at Wimbledon or the US Open and I picture myself on the court and I am like wow that would be so cool. It is also gonna be so cool to attend college and learn and meet new people and play tennis at that level too. I know that.
You are so right though. I got these feelings and thoughts in my head when I watched the movie King Richard and you are so right that with every Serena and Venus there are 100's of future stars that never make it. You told me to stick to my goals and my coach wants me to do the same thing. I think being a kid sometimes it is easy to want to drift away from those goals and go right to the end, but listening to people who have been there and done that like my mom, grandparents, coach, and even now the adults on here is where I need to be. So if I ever seem to be going off that path and acting crazy just smack me back into shape and I will be all fine again. :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Billy Joel: "dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true"
(Vienna)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:42 pm Billy Joel: "dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true"
(Vienna)
I do know who Billy Joel is and even though I never heard that quote it is so true.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Haven't been following..but girls champions seem to go on to do well at the senior level..see Coco, Swiatek, Tauson, Osorio Serrano etc .not sure it happens with the boys ..just an impression, haven't done the research.. true or not? If true, why?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:42 pm Billy Joel: "dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true"
(Vienna)
"Dream on... dream on... Dream until your dreams come true." - Aerosmith.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:49 am Haven't been following..but girls champions seem to go on to do well at the senior level..see Coco, Swiatek, Tauson, Osorio Serrano etc .not sure it happens with the boys ..just an impression, haven't done the research.. true or not? If true, why?
Definitely true. Girls mature faster and at 16 or 17, the age of most top juniors, it's already partially clear who has a serious pro potential and who does not. Not so for boys. Federer was Wimbledon junior champion, but that's more of an exception not a rule.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm At the same club where I played (above story) there was this other kid. Super talented. By 13, basically unbeatable.
It is easy to see, for example, the Williams Sisters and get all caught up in that story. But people fail to see the other side, because that story does not get turned into a movie, is of no interest. There must be many, many young players that looked like future stars, and then, they met the other future stars, and so on. Remember: a pro will play for roughly a decade. But, at best, there will be 10 Wimbledon winners in a decade (by definition). The number of players that will make it is minute. For every Serena (i.e. only one) there are thousands that somebody thought "she will make it" and then didn't.
Absolutely the smartest way to go about it for vast majority of talented juniors. Particularly in a country like US where college education is otherwise expensive and coaching in college is good.

Of course some exceptions are there. Had Federer or Nadal gone to college instead they probably would not have won any Slams. I wonder could one have readily seen a difference between that 13 year old in your story and 13 year old Roger?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 am ...

Definitely true. Girls mature faster and at 16 or 17, the age of most top juniors, it's already partially clear who has a serious pro potential and who does not. Not so for boys. Federer was Wimbledon junior champion, but that's more of an exception not a rule.
If I remember correctly, there have been only three junior champs that also became Gentlemen's champs: Edberg, Cash and Federer. Look at Fucsovics: a Jr champ, and mired in the 40's in the ATP ranks. Mind you, a fine player, but has not been able to take that next step.
From Venezuela: our Nicolas Pereira won RG, W and the USO as a junior. Everybody felt he was going all the way. Best career ranking: 77. Total ATP titles: 1 (Newport).
The men's pros is a different kind of game.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:27 am
(Vienna)
"Dream on... dream on... Dream until your dreams come true." - Aerosmith.
I do actually know of Aerosmith and actually also that song. :D

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:49 am Haven't been following..but girls champions seem to go on to do well at the senior level..see Coco, Swiatek, Tauson, Osorio Serrano etc .not sure it happens with the boys ..just an impression, haven't done the research.. true or not? If true, why?
I agree with this. I can hit with most of the boys that are my age. They might be a little stronger than I am, but the technique and definitely the maturity level on the court is nowhere near the same as me or the other girls my age. The thing is though it only takes a few years beyond that like girls in college and they are on a different level than I am with their strength and maturity level.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Hovde defeats Mboko in straight sets to reach the Final.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

#1 seed Liv Hovde takes on #7 seed Luca Udvardy in the Junior Girls Final tomorrow. Both these girls are 16 and Liv is a perfect 10-0 on grass in 2022.

The good thing is my coach told me after today's practice that tomorrow will be watching that match together. It is supposed to pour down rain in my area all day tomorrow anyway and we usually take things indoors, but my coach had other ideas for tomorrow.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good idea. Analyzing a match helps a lot.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:42 pm Good idea. Analyzing a match helps a lot.
I think it will be. I have seen Luca play a match this tournament and she is a solid player. Liv Hovde is the #1 seeded player and I really want to see how she plays. She must be really good on the grass courts and a solid ground strokes hitter. She is undefeated on the grass courts this year. I am looking forward to it and looking forward to hearing things that my coach points out to me that these players do well.