'22 Wimbledon Juniors Draws & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '22 Wimbledon Juniors Draws & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:13 pm Hovde defeats Mboko in straight sets to reach the Final.
I was surprised it was in straight sets.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:05 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:13 pm Hovde defeats Mboko in straight sets to reach the Final.
Tomorrow I am gonna see how good Liv really is. She is the same age as me, but actually like a half year older than me. I think both her and Luca Udvardy are going to be turning 17 later this year while I won't be turning 17 until May of next year.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:05 pm
Mboko was down 1-5 in the 1st set, and almost drew even.
In the 2nd set, she was behind all the way, I think.
Hovde beat her at Roland Garros this year, as well.

Mboko is in the doubles final with fellow Canadian Kayla Cross. The two of them were also in the junior girls doubles final of the Aussie Open this year (which they lost).

She's been writing a little 'blog' thing on the ITF website - though not very frequently - only 2 instalments thus far...

Vicky Mboko Blog...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Vicky Mboko from the little bit I have seen her play is a very awesome player as well.

I am up early this morning and my coach is here and we are ready to watch the Liv Hovde and Luca Udvardy match.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

One major thing I have noticed right off the bat that differs from the more mature ladies in the main draw is when these girls get down in points on their serve like 0-30 or 0-40 they don't come back to deuce like the main draw players seem to do a lot of the time. I understand that the nerves of these players early in this match must be tremendous so that is part of it. They are also playing in front of about 10,000 people.

Another thing is both of these girls have great ground strokes and use the court well. Liv Hovde hits a very deep ball which so far is putting a ton of pressure on Luca Udvardy.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

A very important thing that the commentators just said that my coach pointed out to me is they said they have to remind themselves that they are watching 16 & 17 year old kids and they are using every moment to learn. That they even though at a Wimbledon Juniors Final are still in the process of learning a lot of things.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Liv Hovde is the Wimbledon Juniors Girl Champion defeating Luca Udvardy 6-3, 6-4. She only dropped 1 set the entire tournament and is now 12-0 on grass in 2022.

Luca Udvardy also had an awesome tournament.

Both of these girls have a very bright future.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Remember we were talking about how many juniors make it to the pros. And, as expected, a final cut is then made.
And in the women's game, you have so many former champions that skipped the juniors completely because they were very good so early on. Although, that pattern has changed. Swiatek, Anisimova, Gauff had very good Jrs careers.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

The on court interview is great. This definitely would be me doing an on court interview after a match. A lot of um's and really quiet even right up against the microphone. Liv was awesome giving her answers because you could see she was so nervous. I think she was more nervous doing that than playing the match.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Mboko and Cross lost another Major Final today in a tight match.
Still - reaching two Major doubles Finals as a team this year (thus far), and Mboko reaching the Semis of Junior Wimbledon bodes well for the future.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:05 pm Mboko and Cross lost another Major Final today in a tight match.
Still - reaching two Major doubles Finals as a team this year (thus far), and Mboko reaching the Semis of Junior Wimbledon bodes well for the future.
Kayla Cross was also the only girl to take Liv Hovde to 3 sets in this tournament.