With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by Fastbackss »

Oh dear
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/roge ... colleagues

Interesting post, Nadal has quickly backed off, but I do feel he has a point...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Iga with some friends

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Alicia Parks

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:54 am https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/roge ... colleagues

Interesting post, Nadal has quickly backed off, but I do feel he has a point...
But why bring this up now? This was almost a decade ago.
And the lighter schedule thing will never be resolved. The top players want to play less, but the lower ranked players need to play more, or they do not make ends meet. And the tour needs more exposure, so there is no way this will become F1 and run only 20 some races (which, BTW, has been a huge increase for the racers. F1 used to run only 12 GP's a year. You know, something to do about making MORE money...)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm AND I think this is why her people hurried up and deleted the pic...

Russian celebs at 'almost naked' party stung by backlash
27th December 2023, 01:39 EST
By Steve Rosenberg
Russian Editor

Nastya Ivleeva and Philipp Kirkorov were pictured during the party
This is Partygate: Russia-style.

What happened at a Moscow nightclub was bizarre. What happened next says so much about the current atmosphere in Russia.

On 20 December, blogger and TV presenter Nastya Ivleeva threw an "Almost Naked Party" at Moscow's Mutabor nightclub.

Dress code? More like an undress code.

Scantily clad pop stars and celebrities attended the soiree. Including Russian rapper Vacio [real name Nikolai Vasiliev]. He turned up wearing only training shoes and one strategically placed sock.

It was a private party. But it became very public when videos and photos appeared on social media. Overnight, Vacio's became the most famous sock in Russia. And not in a good way.

There was uproar. Pro-Kremlin bloggers, MPs and activists, who support the war in Ukraine, were furious: how could celebrities be out partying like this while Russian soldiers were putting their lives on the line in the "special military operation"?

For the revellers, the party was well and truly over. Rapper Vacio was arrested and jailed for 15 days for "disorderly conduct". He was also fined 200,000 roubles (£1,700; $2,200) for "promoting non-traditional sexual relations".

The organiser of the "Almost Naked Party", Nastya Ivleeva, is facing legal action. More than 20 people have signed a class-action lawsuit. They're demanding she pay a billion roubles (£8.5m) to the Defender of the Fatherland Foundation, an organisation that donates money to participants of the Kremlin's "special operation".

Other partygoers are facing the music, too.

There's talk of concert dates being cancelled and advertising contracts terminated. Reports, too, that some of the stars are being edited out of pre-recorded New Year's Eve entertainment shows on Russian TV.

Big names - suddenly cancelled.

Cue the video messages.

One by one, the prominent party guests have been taking to social media - some to apologise for their attendance, others to insist they've done nothing wrong.

"I recognise I made a mistake," declared the now fully dressed megastar Philipp Kirkorov. "The last thing I want is for such an event, my mistake, to result in restrictions on my career in Russia, the only country I exist in as an artist and as a citizen."

"I wore a polo-neck, a big trench coat, trousers and shoes," said pop star Dima Bilan. "I couldn't know in advance what the other guests would be wearing."

"Тhey say that Russia knows how to forgive. If so, I would like to ask you, the people, for a second chance," said Nastya Ivleeva in her video message.

"If the answer is no, then I'm ready for my public execution. I won't shy away. I'm ready for any outcome."

Events of the last few days will have come as a shock to these celebrities.

Following the Kremlin's full-scale invasion of Ukraine, they had taken the conscious decision to remain in Russia and continue their careers, and often lavish lifestyles, here. Public criticism was reserved for those anti-war celebs who had left Russia.

Not any more. But why?

It seems to me that Russia's political system, increasingly, relies on scapegoats. It needs groups or individuals it can point to and blame for problems at home and abroad.

Up till now, those scapegoats have included Ukraine, the US, the UK, the EU and Nato.

Now, it seems, some Russian celebrities are on the list.

In a social media post, this is how exiled Russian opposition activist Maxim Katz summed up events: "In the past, there was a simple social contract with people who went to parties like this: do whatever you want as long as you stay loyal.

"But life is no party now. These ostentatious displays contrast with reality outside. You can't flippantly party in a country waging war.

"For the first time in a long time, the system has pushed back against those who supported all its rules, as long as they weren't applied to them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67827443

She was seated at a table with a bunch of people...
Almost naked party? Almost? There's something idiotic about getting in trouble for this, I just can't quite finger it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:33 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm AND I think this is why her people hurried up and deleted the pic...

By Steve Rosenberg
Russian Editor

What happened at a Moscow nightclub was bizarre. What happened next says so much about the current atmosphere in Russia.

On 20 December, blogger and TV presenter Nastya Ivleeva threw an "Almost Naked Party" at Moscow's Mutabor nightclub.

Scantily clad pop stars and celebrities attended the soiree. Including Russian rapper Vacio [real name Nikolai Vasiliev]. He turned up wearing only training shoes and one strategically placed sock.

It was a private party. But it became very public when videos and photos appeared on social media. Overnight, Vacio's became the most famous sock in Russia. And not in a good way.

There was uproar. Pro-Kremlin bloggers, MPs and activists, who support the war in Ukraine, were furious: how could celebrities be out partying like this while Russian soldiers were putting their lives on the line in the "special military operation"?

For the revellers, the party was well and truly over. Rapper Vacio was arrested and jailed for 15 days for "disorderly conduct". He was also fined 200,000 roubles (£1,700; $2,200) for "promoting non-traditional sexual relations".

The organiser of the "Almost Naked Party", Nastya Ivleeva, is facing legal action. More than 20 people have signed a class-action lawsuit. They're demanding she pay a billion roubles (£8.5m) to the Defender of the Fatherland Foundation, an organisation that donates money to participants of the Kremlin's "special operation".

There's talk of concert dates being cancelled and advertising contracts terminated. Reports, too, that some of the stars are being edited out of pre-recorded New Year's Eve entertainment shows on Russian TV.

Cue the video messages.

One by one, the prominent party guests have been taking to social media - some to apologise for their attendance, others to insist they've done nothing wrong.

"I recognise I made a mistake," declared the now fully dressed megastar Philipp Kirkorov. "The last thing I want is for such an event, my mistake, to result in restrictions on my career in Russia, the only country I exist in as an artist and as a citizen."

"I wore a polo-neck, a big trench coat, trousers and shoes," said pop star Dima Bilan. "I couldn't know in advance what the other guests would be wearing."

"Тhey say that Russia knows how to forgive. If so, I would like to ask you, the people, for a second chance," said Nastya Ivleeva in her video message.

"If the answer is no, then I'm ready for my public execution. I won't shy away. I'm ready for any outcome."

Following the Kremlin's full-scale invasion of Ukraine, they had taken the conscious decision to remain in Russia and continue their careers, and often lavish lifestyles, here. Public criticism was reserved for those anti-war celebs who had left Russia.

Not any more. But why?

It seems to me that Russia's political system, increasingly, relies on scapegoats. It needs groups or individuals it can point to and blame for problems at home and abroad.

Up till now, those scapegoats have included Ukraine, the US, the UK, the EU and Nato.

In a social media post, this is how exiled Russian opposition activist Maxim Katz summed up events: "In the past, there was a simple social contract with people who went to parties like this: do whatever you want as long as you stay loyal.

"But life is no party now. These ostentatious displays contrast with reality outside. You can't flippantly party in a country waging war.

"For the first time in a long time, the system has pushed back against those who supported all its rules, as long as they weren't applied to them."

Almost naked party? Almost? There's something idiotic about getting in trouble for this, I just can't quite finger it.
Stop being a brat. I'm hung up on how the guy wearing a sock travelled to the event...

Seriously the optics of this are bad though. I haven't been keeping up with how people are being "recruited" for service in their war of aggression against Ukraine but imagine your son (I don't know if women serve in the military there) was chosen to fight in what is by all accounts a brutal war and you find out the usual suspects are partying like it's 1999.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it. Jabeur on Wimbledon 2023:

“It was the tournament where I said…I’m going to win it and then maybe take a break and have a baby,” reveals the 29-year-old, who has been married to Tunisian fencer Karim Kamoun since 2015.

“So not only not winning Wimbledon, but the idea of having a baby vanished with the trophy.”

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/on ... ocumentary
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:12 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:33 pm

By Steve Rosenberg
Russian Editor

Cue the video messages.

Not any more. But why?

Stop being a brat. I'm hung up on how the guy wearing a sock travelled to the event...

Seriously the optics of this are bad though. I haven't been keeping up with how people are being "recruited" for service in their war of aggression against Ukraine but imagine your son (I don't know if women serve in the military there) was chosen to fight in what is by all accounts a brutal war and you find out the usual suspects are partying like it's 1999.
I'm hung up on the "almost naked" bit. Pretty much any gay bar I've been too is "almost naked" after 1 am. Fire Island is "almost naked" 100% of the time. (I get the optics there, one of those celebs is gonna have to be sacrificed for the war)

Post by Fastbackss »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 am Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it. Jabeur on Wimbledon 2023:

“It was the tournament where I said…I’m going to win it and then maybe take a break and have a baby,” reveals the 29-year-old, who has been married to Tunisian fencer Karim Kamoun since 2015.

“So not only not winning Wimbledon, but the idea of having a baby vanished with the trophy.”

That's heavy.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fastbackss wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 am Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it. Jabeur on Wimbledon 2023:

That's heavy.
Sigh.

ETA: Does she think that because she's 29 having a baby would be the end of her career when so many women have given birth and come back to the tour? Kerber is the latest to do that.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:46 pm

That's heavy.
Sigh.

ETA: Does she think that because she's 29 having a baby would be the end of her career when so many women have given birth and come back to the tour? Kerber is the latest to do that.
i assume she meant the idea disappeared for the short term.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:46 pm

That's heavy.
Sigh.

a bit too much self-pity methinks..

Post by Fastbackss »

Truly competitive people go to dark places when they lose.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Response to the above:

Bastien Fachan
@BastienFachan
Uncle Toni rn

(Referencing how Tio Toni made Rafa play leftie)