With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JTContinental United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by JTContinental »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm Apparently these two have "issues"?

Ruud also has an antagonistic personality, so it's not too surprising that they would clash.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm Telling us not to click on it is just click bait that's going to make us do it you realize :)
^ Perhaps... but by advising you not to, it absolves me of all responsibility for any enduring consequences you or others may suffer by so doing.
:D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Awww, well played. I shall cancel my lawsuit :D
:steven:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Caro with family in Monaco few days ago.

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Might be with mother and brother

Zverev and Lisicki

Simona Halep

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Danka Kovinic

No label needed :)

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

AS long as she's wearing that in every picture we should be able to recognize her.
:steven:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Roger out of Cincy and Toronto, knee problems continue. I'll be pretty surprised if he plays USO with no warmup and a suspect knee. I've predicted retirement twice and been happily wrong both times but.... is he motivated to rehab back to good enough shape for one more year? There's no more Olympics, he must know he can't contend for majors, and there's a real risk of diminishing the legacy by phoning in a farewell tour if he can't perform.

I dunno, I kinda want the last memory to be 2019, losing to Rafa at RG, followed by beating Rafa at Wimbledon. It's poetic.

(feel free to move this if wrong topic... I didn't want to re-create the washed up threads though :) )
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree. No need to keep going with the rewards being so few. And the knee thing keep coming back all the time, so might as well admit it is time.
It has been almost 20 glorious years.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

If Federer genuinely still loves to play the game and to compete, I'd be fine if he drops to #645 before retiring.
It's not up to any of us to decide when a player 'should' retire. Even if it may seem silly to us for a player to keep going well past his/her prime, we should have all the respect in the world for their decision to do so, if it is based on a genuine passion for and love of the game.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

His greatness? Undisputed. His passion? Undisputed. His desire to compete? Undisputed. His right to call it a day? Undisputed. But in this instance the body has other ideas. He can't play. Literally. And that is why it is time to call time on the glorious masterclass of Roger Federer.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Again - it's not up to any of us to say when it is time for any player to retire. It is entirely up to the player. And whatever they decide - whether it's to retire at their peak like Borg, or to play Challengers until they're 73 years old like Robredo - I feel their decision should be respected.
They know themselves far better than any of us know them.
R.I.P. Amal...

Woody

Post by Woody »

Of course it's "up to the player" when they retire. But also we can each give our opinion about it and say whatever we want. What a weird take. Hey, I might also have an opinion when I think a young player is playing too many tournaments or whatever. Hopefully you don't mind if I voice that too...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Woody wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 am Of course it's "up to the player" when they retire. But also we can each give our opinion about it and say whatever we want. What a weird take. Hey, I might also have an opinion when I think a young player is playing too many tournaments or whatever. Hopefully you don't mind if I voice that too...
I don't know how long you've been following tennis... but I've been following (and playing) it for about 40 years. In that time, I've seen a thing or two happen, and more than a few different situations and scenarios.

Are you deliberately misinterpreting what I'm saying?
I'll try again - more slowly...

Obviously everyone is free to hold an opinion (although, while you claim the same, you are, interestingly, telling me that my opinion is somehow not valid... hmmm...).
I, though, find it rather disrespectful to the player's own judgment when people call for him/her to retire because he/she is not playing as well as previously, or because of injury, etc.

Opinions are fine - including my opinion that it's disrespectful for people to say that a player "should" retire. Again - if the player likes continuing to play, even with diminished abilities and/or capacities, then who are fans to say that he/she "should" retire? They must honestly believe that they know the player and know what he/she should do more than the player him/her self knows. And I find that rather disrespectful. And kind of arrogant.

Ending one's career is an intensely personal thing. And so to call for a player to do that is quite different than spitballing a benign perspective that player 'X' should play fewer or more tournaments. The contexts are completely different.
Some (most?) fans erroneously seem to believe that the primary reason that players play the sport is to please them (the fans). And therefore, the fans should be able to determine when the player "should" retire - i.e. when the fan no longer enjoys watching said player.
I simply say No - the player plays for him/her self, not to please the fans. Pleasing the fans is a mere by-product. The only obligation a player has is to do what pleases him/her, and not what the fans think he/she "should" do. And it would be nice if fans would recognize and respect this, rather than believing that they know better than the player about when he/she should stop playing.

I hope you understand better now.
R.I.P. Amal...