With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Hadn't even thought of that. Indeed, a touchy aspect, as the players simply will not be allowed to defend or gain more points.
Most everybody is coming against this. Novak and Martina N. have already spoken and are not in favor. The Ukrainian players, though, want the other tournaments to follow W.
Wonder if it will get messier than already is.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:50 pm
I didn't know where to put it. Maybe I should have started a new thread. :(

Kevin
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 pm
Because even in TAT1.0 we were sort of schizoid about the TENNIS RANDOM RANDOM and the TENNIS PLAYERS RANDOM RANDOM threads/topics. ;)
One of our peculiar quirks, I guess :)

Tennis Random Random is where actual on-court tennis stuff, actually relating to the game, was meant to be discussed. Tennis Players (this thread) was meant to be off-the court stuff, mostly social media stuff that players post or news about their lives that is more fluff more often than not, but could be significant, but rarely related to something truly relating to what they are doing tennis wise. For whatever reason, things that belong in the other thread have been posted in this thread much more often in the last year, considerably more than happened before.

But clearly I'm the only one who is annoyed by it, even though it was someone else who initially requested the split and others pointed out never checking the original combined thread because they were uninterested in social media, but given the absolute nonsense we post in here (which I love, but realize it's not exactly the most important), I always thought it was a good change. Talking about someone's unfortunate choice of dress, their desperate need for a hair stylist, or someone's boyfriend announcement doesn't seem to belong next to the conversation about Peng Shuai's whereabouts, but that indeed happened when someone posted it in this thread.

And at least to me, more often than not the fluffy stuff comes to a screeching halt because of the seriousness of the other topic that has been posted many times. I have absolutely refrained from posting stupid stuff for days if it's something more serious that seems wrong to follow up with a photo of how hideous Johanna Konta's jeans fit.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I agree with you. But I never felt that the proper curating of some posts is that pressing an issue.
And about refraining yourself from posting stupid things... I wish I had your will power. And judgement :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:40 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 pm You can feel patriotic and proud of your country without feeling solidarity with your leader. I don't think any American players were counselled to apply for citizienship elsewhere when Trump was president :) (Or for the Isner types now with Biden president.)
Had Trump invaded Canada claiming a Nazi problem there, I’d get behind American athletes to be banned as well.
^ Why?
And on what grounds?

I often agree with your thoughts and perspectives, Owen - but I definitely cannot agree with you on this.
This approach completely reeks of guilt simply by association; of blatantly unfair and unjust discrimination.
And what good could it possibly do? Will it stop the Russian invasion of Ukraine? Of course not. It serves absolutely no practical purpose.

If my brother robs a bank, should I be punished for it? If Karolina Pliskova gets suspended for doing something against the tennis rules, should her sister Kristyna also be punished? The analogies are endless - and all are ridiculous and demonstrate unjust treatment.

There is no possible justification for this. None. From any angle. Except pure and outright unjust discrimination.

I have the feeling that much discussion and arguments are to be had before the Wimbledon draw is made. And I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance that they will reconsider. I certainly hope they will.
But even if they do reconsider and decide to behave like at least some degree of HUMANE beings, their reputation is very damaged for a long time because of this. The AELTC and LTA already had a reputation of being quite exclusive and haughty and snobbish, and this exclusion will only harm that reputation all the more.
It's inexcusable.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 am Tennis Random Random is where actual on-court tennis stuff, actually relating to the game, was meant to be discussed. Tennis Players (this thread) was meant to be off-the court stuff, mostly social media stuff that players post or news about their lives that is more fluff more often than not, but could be significant, but rarely related to something truly relating to what they are doing tennis wise.
This is how I also interpret it. There is on-going confusion, though, as evidenced by when I posted that Ash Barty had retired in Tennis Random, Random, someone asked why the conversation was not in Tennis Players Random Random.

Maybe the forums should be re-worded to say something like:
Tennis Random Random (On-Court)
Tennis Players (Off-Court Shenanigans)

I'm personally not very interested in seeing modeling pictures and players' social media (I believe that was the original intent of the separation), so I might not follow the Tennis Players thread if it weren't for how randomly content gets posted into both threads.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:40 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 pm You can feel patriotic and proud of your country without feeling solidarity with your leader. I don't think any American players were counselled to apply for citizienship elsewhere when Trump was president :) (Or for the Isner types now with Biden president.)
Had Trump invaded Canada claiming a Nazi problem there, I’d get behind American athletes to be banned as well.
But would you have then renounced your American citizenship? Because that was what you were saying these players should do :)
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

MJ2004 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:52 am
JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 am Tennis Random Random is where actual on-court tennis stuff, actually relating to the game, was meant to be discussed. Tennis Players (this thread) was meant to be off-the court stuff, mostly social media stuff that players post or news about their lives that is more fluff more often than not, but could be significant, but rarely related to something truly relating to what they are doing tennis wise.
This is how I also interpret it. There is on-going confusion, though, as evidenced by when I posted that Ash Barty had retired in Tennis Random, Random, someone asked why the conversation was not in Tennis Players Random Random.

Maybe the forums should be re-worded to say something like:
Tennis Random Random (On-Court)
Tennis Players (Off-Court Shenanigans)

I'm personally not very interested in seeing modeling pictures and players' social media (I believe that was the original intent of the separation), so I might not follow the Tennis Players thread if it weren't for how randomly content gets posted into both threads.
I agree that some clarification of the sections is needed, as I've mentioned previously.

I can see...
- One section being for general tennis discussion (such as the banning of Russian and Belarusian players from tournaments in the U.K.)...
- Another section for tennis-related discussion about individual players...
- And a third section for, as you nicely put it 'Off-Court Shenanigans', which would be off court photos, pregnancy announcements, etc. - generally things which are not directly related to the tennis.

I still don't know why the word 'Random' is written twice in the title of various sections/forums. Personally, I don't see the need for it to be written even once, let alone twice, as the titles are quite self-explanatory without the word 'Random' needing to be there.
I think having so many 'Randoms' within forum titles can confuse people, which results in people posting in the wrong forum at times, and/or reading the wrong forum - because so many titles look alike.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I just reply to whatever is being discusses in whichever topic. I don't think anyone would be too upset if topics were "moved" (by admins or whoever) to the right thread :)
:steven:
oliver0001 Faroe Islands

Post by oliver0001 »

Some people have indicated that it might be something that the Johnson administration has advocated. However, it's both the government AND the opposition who praise the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.

"Wimbledon’s decision was welcomed by the culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, who said: “Whilst the withdrawal of individual athletes is a complex issue, there is a bigger cause at stake. This decision means Putin won’t use the most iconic grand slam in tennis to try to legitimise the horrors he is inflicting on the Ukrainian people. The right move.”

Her Labour shadow, Lucy Powell, said: “We welcome this decision by Wimbledon and the LTA. The LTA is ahead of the curve compared with other national tennis bodies and they should be applauded. Sporting and cultural organisations have rightly taken a stand against Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ion-tennis
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

This is where I'm lost...
oliver0001 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:43 pm "This decision means Putin won’t use the most iconic grand slam in tennis to try to legitimise the horrors he is inflicting on the Ukrainian people."
How in the world would a player's participation or success at Wimbledon legitimize the attack on Ukraine, or reflect on the attack or Russia's motivations or goals in any way? It's one thing to use sports to build up national pride, but this is a totally different issue. It's so far removed from the reality that it is meaningless, IMO.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Maybe they'll compromise in the end: Allow Russian and Belarusian players to participate, but have Wimbledon played in Rwanda...

Idiots.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to Millman
Indeed, if the AELTC is so concerned for Ukraine, put you money where it matters. Say something like: "The AELTC will donate all the proceeding from this year's Championships for Ukrainian relief". Want to be cynical? "The AELTC will donate the same amount of money WON BY RUSSIAN AND BELORUSSIAN PLAYERS during this year's Championships for Ukrainian relief".
John Millman for Tennis Commissioner. He gets my vote.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm a bit in a situation here where I have a different perspective from the majority. I'm a big tennis fan but, I'm also Ukrainian. One of those 5 millions who are "displaced". I'm still in Ukraine, but not in my native city, which is savagely shelled and destroyed by Russians. Obviously I hate their guts. It's not only Putin. He has massive support inside. Also it is true that many Russians despise war, but afraid to speak up, because police state there is brutal and vengeful, but I'm afraid those are in minority... Now let's try to predict how this ban will be seen in Russia and in Ukraine. Those Russians who sincerely support Putin, are xenophobes. They hate their countrymen who are successful in the West. The source of this hate is envy and inferiority complex. They will be EXTREMELY GLAD that Medvedev, etc. will be punished. Now about Ukraine: many here feel that "The West" kind of used us as means to weaken Russia and then betrayed us. This symbolic gesture of punishing athletes will be seen as a substitute for a real help - oil/gas embargo and giving us more advanced weapons. Only the minority will welcome this, I think. There are some people here who are in rage to such degree that they hate Russian language and break the monuments to Pushkin (which IMO is counterproductive). To conclude, I don't think that this ban is useful for Ukraine. And it is most certainly harmful for tennis.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein