Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm I'm getting the fist shot of the vaccine this afternoon. Unexpected as I was thinking it would be April before they called my number. Scheduled it last night after receiving the notification. I've got a pre-existing condition that makes it more possible I wouldn't have a good outcome if I caught covid.

Pretty sure it will be the Moderna vaccine. I do have a lengthy history of allergic reactions, though they don't tend to be of the severe variety, so hoping for the best. Wish me luck!
Keep us posted, I am sure it will go well :thumbsup:
---0---
Brasil. The situation there is so dire that COLOMBIA CANCELLED the round-robin match between Brasil/Colombia (FIFA world cup) claiming that it could not guarantee the safety of the personnel HERE. Bolsanaro, in the meantime, went on national TV and stated that he saw no reasons to implement lockdowns and that everything was fine, that the epidemic (inside Brasil) was no issue at all, and therefore, in five minutes, claiming all for himself the mantle as the most lunatic leader of the world, now that Tiny is gone. Truly sick.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:38 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm I'm getting the fist shot of the vaccine this afternoon. Unexpected as I was thinking it would be April before they called my number. Scheduled it last night after receiving the notification. I've got a pre-existing condition that makes it more possible I wouldn't have a good outcome if I caught covid.

Pretty sure it will be the Moderna vaccine. I do have a lengthy history of allergic reactions, though they don't tend to be of the severe variety, so hoping for the best. Wish me luck!
Keep us posted, I am sure it will go well :thumbsup:
---0---
Brasil. The situation there is so dire that COLOMBIA CANCELLED the round-robin match between Brasil/Colombia (FIFA world cup) claiming that it could not guarantee the safety of the personnel HERE. Bolsanaro, in the meantime, went on national TV and stated that he saw no reasons to implement lockdowns and that everything was fine, that the epidemic (inside Brasil) was no issue at all, and therefore, in five minutes, claiming all for himself the mantle as the most lunatic leader of the world, now that Tiny is gone. Truly sick.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

Got my first shot - Moderna - this afternoon as well. Stayed up several nights waiting for CVS to add appointments, and at 5:10 am Thursday, they opened at a store 20 minutes from me. Appointment was 3: 30. Had shot in my arm at 3:25. Plus, 2nd shot scheduled for same time 4/2.
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:49 pm Detroit's mayor refused the delivery of J&J vaccine to the surprise of a lot of people. The Mayor said it wasn't the best.

My doctor says the one to get is the Pfizer vaccine. Isn't J&J the company that knew for years its talcum powder causes cancer and said nothing but "oops" when they got caught?
The one to get is the one available to give you.

Detroit has a huge endangered demographic. They need to get shots in arms.

I got Moderna because that was what was available when a spot opened up. I would have taken J&J if that was the one available
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I ended up getting the Pfizer much to my surprise. Recent local media attention with in-depth reports on Philly suburbs not getting an equitable amount of supply in line with their population resulted in a sudden increase in what the county got from the state from what I gather, and part of that must have included the Pfizer vaccine. Everything they've said, and the info on the site before this week referenced only the Moderna vaccine so I thought for sure that's what I was getting.

My county's site was very well run. Got the actual vaccine in under 15 minutes of arriving, after a few different checkpoints verifying identity. Most people stay for 15 minutes after getting the shot, they had me stay 30 minutes because of my allergy history. Didn't have any issues while I was there, and have been fine since. Shot was clean in and out, can't even see the entry point. I have very minor arm pain and discomfort. Though I will say, my doctors have told me in the past, I have a high threshold for pain, so it may be worse for someone else experiencing it. Nothing I'm not used to from the flu vaccine. Actually, I have had worse reactions to the flu vaccine depending on the year. My arm was heavy most of last night, but is considerably better this morning. I had a headache last night, could be related, but could've just been the start of a migraine. But took some medicine, which may have dulled some of the arm pain.

Feel very lucky to have gotten it already.

------

l would've taken any of the three. Doctors I know and trust, not to mention experts in the field, said all will protect me. I think people have focused on the initial numbers they heard on Johnson & Johnson and missed the overall picture. Unlike the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, the J&J was tested when the variants were around, including conducting trials in both South Africa and Brazil among the two most worrisome variants to many. Tested in South Africa when their variant was dominant in over 90% of the cases. And still 100% protection against death and hospitalizations, which did occur in the placebo group. I said sign me up once I heard that, so I was always good with all of them. Definitely agree, at least in the US where verified ethical clinical trials were conducted, that the best vaccine is the one that is available to you.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

So glad everything went smoothly for you, Jazz. :)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm glad you're okay Jazz.

I'm looking to go in the next couple of weeks.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Single-shot COVID-19 vaccine is popular at vaccination sites

The first week of distribution eased worries that people might turn it down

By Nicole Wetsman

The messaging that all three authorized vaccines are good options appears to be sinking in around the country. When the first batch of single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccines arrived in States this week, people were excited to take it.

In Connecticut, Hartford HealthCare let people decide which type of vaccine to sign up for, and the Johnson & Johnson shot was more popular than expected. People were also given the choice at a Miami vaccination site. One recipient told CNN that she picked Johnson & Johnson because it’s one dose; she’s afraid of needles and only wanted to do it once. A Minnesota couple told KTTC-TV that they were eager to get a vaccine that was only one dose.

That’s a big relief for experts who worried that the shot faced a communications problem. Even though the vaccine was just as good as the other two authorized vaccines at keeping people out of the hospital and alive, overall, its ability to prevent disease wasn’t quite as strong during the trials testing it. They thought there might be the (mostly unfounded) perception that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine wasn’t a good option.

“We have a vaccine now that has good efficacy that everyone is going to compare to the existing vaccines, and say it doesn’t look quite as good,” said Eric Rubin, a professor of immunology, during a meeting of the Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory committee last week. Experts stressed that people should take whichever vaccine they’re offered first.

But despite those early concerns, people around the country seem eager to line up for the Johnson & Johnson shot. In addition to only requiring one dose — so people don’t have to take the time for two appointments — it can have fewer side effects than the gene-based Moderna and Pfizer / BioNTech products.

It’s hard to directly compare the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to the other vaccines. They were tested at different times and in different locations. The gene-based vaccines were tested before coronavirus variants that could make vaccines less effective were widespread. But all three vaccines are similar in one important way: they’re overwhelmingly effective at keeping people from developing severe cases of COVID-19 and out of the hospital. They’re also all more effective than the flu shot.

The single-dose formulation is also more convenient. “It’s a hassle having to take time off work,” Salome Ruperty told Spectrum News NY1 while lined up at a Johnson & Johnson vaccine site in New York City.

Some people may still turn down the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and seek out either the Moderna or Pfizer / BioNTech shots. But the early reports make it seem less likely that the doses will go unused.

Just under 4 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine were distributed to States this week. The company says it will have 20 million doses ready by the end of March and 100 million by June.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/5/22315 ... stribution
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I'd take any of the three options if it means getting it sooner. I'm on the "there's nothing special about me" list so I'm looking at waiting until June to vaccinated.

Post by JazzNU »

Merck says study shows COVID-19 drug causes quick reduction in virus

(Reuters) - U.S. drugmaker Merck & Co Inc said on Saturday the experimental antiviral drug molnupiravir it is developing with Ridgeback Bio showed a quicker reduction in infectious virus in its phase 2a study among participants with early COVID-19.

“The secondary objective findings in this study, of a quicker decrease in infectious virus among individuals with early COVID-19 treated with molnupiravir, are promising,” said William Fischer, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, in a statement from the companies.

The antiviral is being currently tested in a Phase 2/3 trial that is set to be completed in May.

Merck decided to focus on therapeutics after its two COVID-19 vaccines failed to generate desired immune responses, prompting it to abandon the program in January.

Reporting by Ann Maria Shibu in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Schmollinger

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2AY07U

Post by JazzNU »

Russia's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 200,000: Rosstat

MOSCOW (Reuters) - More than 200,000 Russians diagnosed with COVID-19 have died since the pandemic began last April, Russia’s Rosstat statistics agency said on Friday, more than double the widely cited figure used by the government’s coronavirus task force.

The figures from Rosstat suggest Russia has had the third most COVID-19 fatalities in the world, behind only the United States and Brazil.

Rosstat, which releases its figures infrequently and with a time lag, said it had recorded 200,432 deaths through January.

The government coronavirus task force’s tally, updated daily, had recorded 88,285 deaths as of Friday.

The authorities have said in the past that Rosstat’s figures are more complete, including data from autopsy reports not available for the daily tally.

Rosstat’s figure included 37,107 deaths in January, more than double the 16,064 deaths reported by the task force for the month.

Russian authorities imposed a lockdown during the first wave of the pandemic last year, but did not do so again in September when daily case numbers began to rise. Official tallies show cases falling in recent weeks and authorities have cautiously said the situation is improving.

On Friday, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said that public transport cards for over 65s would be unblocked from Monday, although he urged people leaving their homes to visit vaccination centres.

“The situation with the pandemic is gradually improving. It is true that we are also seeing worrying signs coming from Brazil and other European countries,” he wrote on his website.

Russia has rolled out a mass vaccination campaign with its Sputnik-V vaccine, but so far only 5 million people have received a first shot, out of a population of 144 million.

Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova said deaths across the country had fallen by 21.7% in February, compared to January.

Russia reported 11,024 new cases on Friday, including 1,757 in Moscow, taking the total to 4,301,159 since the pandemic began.

Reporting by Gleb Stolyarov; Writing by Alexander Marrow; Editing by Tom Balmforth and Peter Graff

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2AX272

Post by JazzNU »

Coronavirus: Europe in vaccine race to save summer

By Kevin Connolly
BBC News, Brussels

Europe could be on the brink of a roaring twenties-style summer to remember, with budget airline flights packed and beachside bars brim-full of happy tourists.

Or, it faces another gloomy holiday season of travel restrictions, quarantine rules and a locked-down leisure industry.

In a few weeks from now we will know which it is to be - but the policy decisions which will shape the outcome are already being taken.

One big question is whether EU member states will be content to leave decision-making to the European Commission in Brussels - which has bungled the vaccine-buying programme - or simply take matters into their own hands.

Greece, for example, has already struck a deal to welcome tourists from Israel if they have a vaccine passport.

And Cyprus has said it will welcome British tourists from 1 May, as long as they have had two doses of any vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

The Director-General of the Cyprus Hotels Association, Philokypros Roussonides, told the BBC: "We are really delighted with this development. It's going to be really effective and very good for airlines to schedule their flights. Cyprus is traditionally a very popular destination for British tourists."

Tourism jobs at stake

What is at stake here is not just the issue of whether wealthy northern Europeans get to enjoy a beer or an ice cream on the beach.

Tourism is big business, providing 27m jobs in Europe, and generating around 10% of the EU's GDP, when you take into account the other sectors which depend on it.

The economies of countries like Greece, Spain and Italy cannot recover until the tourist industry is reopened.

The GDP of the Balearic Islands - which include Majorca - fell by 27% last year. If a second summer season is lost to Covid-19 the consequences will be disastrous.

A tourism official in Majorca described the situation as "unsustainable" and said that if tourists were not allowed to return, many local business would disappear.

Saving the summer depends on two Europe-wide problems: getting people vaccinated and then agreeing rules about whether or not the right to travel should be linked to your vaccination status.

The chief economist of the Bank of Spain, Oscar Arce, told the Spanish newspaper El País: "If the vaccination levels are high in June, the tourist season will be saved. But if it's delayed to the end of the summer the economy will suffer a great deal. In those three months of radical uncertainty we have a lot at stake."

Slow vaccine rollout

So far at least the omens are not good.

By the end of this week only 4.96% of Belgians and 5.5% of Germans have had at least one vaccine dose.

The Politico news service produced a fascinating calculation this week, showing that if the vaccination rollout continues at the current rate, Belgium won't reach the threshold of protecting 70% of its population until July 2023.

The date calculated for Germany was September 2022.

That would suggest we should be asking about the holiday prospects for next year or the year after - not this July or August.

Now of course the Belgian and German governments - and the European Commission - would argue that the rollout is going to gather pace as supplies improve and new vaccines are approved. And so it might.

But what those figures show is that the vaccination programme so far in the EU has been a disaster. Less than 10% of the EU population has been vaccinated so far, against 31% in the UK and 52% in Israel.

The President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, admitted last month that the EU was "not where it wanted to be" on vaccinations. But German Finance Minister Olaf Scholz was widely reported to have summed things up more succinctly, telling a meeting that the EU rollout was a "total" horror show (using ruder word than "horror").

The slow vaccine rollout has been a political embarrassment for the European Commission, which took over responsibility from individual member states and then fell far behind other countries like the United States and Israel.

It cannot afford a second failure on vaccine passports, but so far the signs are not encouraging.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has suggested that the technical work on the issue - what sort of information a passport should show and how it might be collected and stored - could be complete in three months.

But the problems with vaccine passports are political and ethical, rather than technical.

Mrs Merkel said it was not the EU's intention that only people with vaccine passports should be allowed to travel, adding "absolutely no political decisions have been made about that yet".

Discrimination fears

Some countries including France, where as many as 40% of adults may refuse a vaccination, are uncomfortable with creating rights for those who have had the jab - rights which are not available to those who have not.

Spain, desperate to get tourism moving again, has already said it won't restrict the right of entry to travellers who have been inoculated.

But if Chancellor Merkel is right, and freedom of movement is not restricted to those who have a vaccine passport, then travellers may feel there is no point in carrying one.

Huge political decisions are looming for Europe - freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of the EU.

If those decisions are going to help save this summer then the time to take them is already running short.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56292087
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Here's the latest Situation Report. My favorite part is the bit on Russian vaccine disinformation. Haven't I read this book before?

::

EPI UPDATE The WHO COVID-19 Dashboard reports 116.9 million cases and 2.6 million deaths as of 11:00am EST on March 9. The weekly global incidence remained steady from the previous week, with 2.70 million new cases. The weekly global mortality declined for the fifth consecutive week, down to 59,786 deaths—a 6.9% decrease from the previous week.

On March 7, Brazil surpassed the US as #1 globally in terms of total daily incidence. The US had held the #1 position since October 21, 2020, and it is still the only country to average more than 100,000; 150,000; and 200,000 new cases per day—it also fell just short of 250,000 at its highest peak (249,360 on January 11). Brazil is now reporting 66,381 new cases per day, and except for the weeks of Christmas and New Year’s, its daily incidence has increased steadily since early November 2020. Notably, Brazil’s daily incidence has increased 41% over the past 2 weeks, up from 46,921 new cases per day on February 22.

The WHO added cumulative vaccination data to its COVID-19 dashboard. In total, 268.2 million vaccine doses have been administered globally, including 156.3 million individuals with at least 1 dose. The dashboard does not yet include daily vaccinations.

Global Vaccination
Our World in Data reports that 312.2 million vaccine doses have been administered globally, an 18% increase compared to this time last week. The daily average fell slightly over the past week, from 7.2 million to 7.0 million doses (-4%). Vaccination efforts have been reported in at least 125 countries and territories.

UNITED STATES
The US CDC reported 28.81 million cumulative cases and 523,850 deaths. Daily incidence and mortality continue to decrease, but at a much slower rate than over the past several weeks. The US is averaging fewer than 60,000 new cases per day for the first time since October 20, 2020. The average mortality appears to have leveled off at slightly more than 1,700 deaths per day. As of March 4, the 806 previously unreported deaths in Los Angeles County, California, moved out of the 7-day window, which caused the average to decrease by nearly 200 deaths per day.

In addition to the overall national epidemiological trends, long-term care facilities (LTCFs) have also seen steady declines in COVID-19 incidence and mortality over the past several months, for both residents and staff. Due to the high risk of infection and severe disease, LTCFs were among the earliest priorities for SARS-CoV-2 vaccination. Through March 4, 2021, more than one-third of all US COVID-19 deaths* were among LTCF residents.
*Not including Arizona, which does not report LTCF COVID-19 deaths.

Since the start of the US vaccination effort in mid-December, weekly COVID-19 incidence and mortality has decreased substantially. At the peak (the week of December 20, 2020), the CDC reported 34,251 new cases among LTCF residents, and the weekly total has declined since then. During the week of February 28, 2021, the US reported only 1,474 new cases, a decrease of more than 95% from the peak. Similarly, the US reported 7,049 deaths among LTCF residents during the week of December 20, 2020, which fell to 1,350 the week of February 28, 2021—a decrease of more than 80%.

Beyond the residents, similar trends are evident in the LTCF staff population. At the peak (week of December 13, 2020), the US reported 29,181 new cases among LTCF staff. During the week of February 28, 2021, there were only 2,157 cases among LTCF staff, a decrease of 92% from the peak. The mortality data for LTCF staff is a little more difficult to analyze due to relatively low numbers and delayed holiday reporting, However, from the most recent peak of 63 deaths during the week of January 10, 2021, mortality fell to 26 deaths the week of February 28, 2021—a decrease of 58%.

For comparison, the national daily incidence and mortality have decreased by 77% and 49% since their peaks in mid-January 2021. The decline in weekly incidence and mortality among LTCF residents began in late December 2020, several weeks before the national epidemic peaked, and the weekly incidence peaked among LTCF staff at approximately the same time. The magnitude and timing of the COVID-19 decline in LTCF residents and staff provide evidence that the vaccination campaign is making a direct impact on this vulnerable population.

US Vaccination
The US CDC has distributed 116.4 million doses of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines and administered 92.1 million doses nationwide. In total, 60.0 million people (18.1% of the entire US population; 23.5% of the adult population) have received at least 1 dose of the vaccine, and 31.5 million (9.5%; 12.3%) have received both doses. The US continues to set new records for daily doses administered, up to 1.98 million doses per day*, including 815,748 individuals receiving their second dose. The breakdown of doses by manufacturer remains relatively steady, with slightly more Pfizer-BioNTech doses (46.8 million) than Moderna (44.9 million) administered nationwide. The CDC reported the first data for the J&J-Janssen vaccine, with 208,590 doses administered**.
*The US CDC does not provide a 7-day average for the most recent 5 days due to anticipated reporting delays for vaccine administration. This estimate is the most current value provided.
**As a 1-dose vaccine, all individuals receiving the J&J-Janssen vaccine are fully vaccinated.

The Indian Health Service (IHS) has administered 665,997 million doses, including 439,930 individuals with at least 1 dose (21.1% of the total population covered by IHS) and 219,925 individuals who have been fully vaccinated (10.6%). If IHS were a state, it would rank #9 nationally in terms of 1+ doses per capita and #13 for full vaccination per capita.

The Johns Hopkins CSSE dashboard reported 29.1 million US cases and 524,169 deaths as of 12:30pm EST on March 9.

VACCINE DISINFORMATION A spokesperson for the US Department of State’s Global Engagement Center discussed efforts by Russia to perpetuate disinformation about SARS-CoV-2 vaccines manufactured in the US. According to a report by The Wall Street Journal, the GEC identified 4 online media outlets that it believes serve as fronts for Russian intelligence agencies. These outlets have cooperated to share reports that emphasize the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines’ side effects, question their efficacy, and raise doubts about the accelerated development timeline. While the individual publications’ readership is small, social media platforms enable them to widely disseminate the disinformation. State Department officials did not elaborate on how the publications were controlled by Russian intelligence agencies, and the Russian government denies the allegations. An August 2020 GEC special report examined 7 disinformation proxy sites and organizations linked to the Russian government and their activities in amplifying information critical of the US and favorable to Russia, particularly related to COVID-19.

GUIDANCE FOR VACCINATED INDIVIDUALS The US CDC published guidance for individuals who have been fully vaccinated. The guidance defines fully vaccinated individuals as those who have received the full course of doses for their vaccine—i.e., 2 doses of a 2-dose vaccine or 1 dose of a single-dose vaccine—and at least 2 weeks having passed since receiving the final dose. The highly anticipated guidance provides information for vaccinated individuals regarding activities and precautions, including among other vaccinated individuals and unvaccinated individuals.

In public settings, vaccinated individuals are recommended to follow existing COVID-19 risk mitigation measures, including physical distancing (e.g., 6-foot separation) and mask use, because much of the public remains unvaccinated and still at risk for COVID-19. In private settings, fully vaccinated individuals can meet with other fully vaccinated individuals or with unvaccinated individuals from one other household without wearing masks or physically distancing, as long as all unvaccinated individuals are at low risk for severe disease. Gatherings of more than 2 households or gatherings with unvaccinated high-risk individuals should still employ COVID-19 prevention measures, such as mask use, physical distancing, enhanced hygiene, and meeting in a well-ventilated space. The CDC has not yet issued travel-related guidance for vaccinated individuals, and health officials continue to recommend against non-essential travel for everyone, regardless of vaccination status.

Vaccinated individuals do not need to quarantine or get tested if exposed to a known COVID-19 case, as long as they remain asymptomatic, with the exception of those living in congregate settings (e.g., long-term care facilities [LTCFs], correctional facilities). If a vaccinated individual does test positive or exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, s/he should self-isolate for 10 days.

In addition to the guidance itself, the CDC published information regarding the underlying evidence, including from animal studies, human clinical trials, and real-world data collected since the initiation of mass vaccination operations. The CDC emphasized that the guidance will continue to be updated as vaccination coverage increases, the epidemiological situation evolves, and researchers more fully characterize vaccine’s effectiveness, particularly with respect to the vaccines’ impact on transmission.

CANADA AUTHORIZES J&J-JANSSEN VACCINE On March 5, Health Canada authorized the J&J-Janssen SARS-CoV-2 vaccine for use in adults, making it the country’s fourth SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, along with the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccines. Canada is the third country to authorize the J&J-Janssen vaccine for public use, following Bahrain and the US, and South Africa is reportedly administering it to healthcare workers as part of a Phase 3b clinical trial.

Vaccine deliveries to Canada have lagged behind many other countries, despite ordering more doses per capita than any other country. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau indicated that Pfizer has agreed to deliver 3.5 million doses to Canada in May, originally scheduled for this summer. Canada now expects to receive 36.5 million total doses by the end of June, enough to fully vaccinate nearly half of its population (38 million). To date, Canada has administered at least 1 dose to 3.6% of its population, including 1.4% who have been fully vaccinated.

J&J-Janssen has also submitted an application to the European Medicines Agency for conditional marketing authorization.

US COVID-19 STIMULUS On Saturday, the US Senate approved an updated version of the American Rescue Plan, the US$1.9 trillion COVID-19 economic relief package. The vote passed 50-49 (1 Senator absent), with all Democratic Senators voting in favor and no Republican support. The US House of Representatives is expected to vote on the new version of the bill tomorrow, and US President Joe Biden could potentially sign it this week. The Internal Revenue Service could begin distributing stimulus checks to qualified individuals as early as next week, based on the timeline for the previous round of stimulus checks.

The American Rescue Plan has gone through multiple iterations, and the current version includes US$1,400 stimulus checks for individuals earning US$75,000 or less and US$2,800 for married couples earning US$150,000 or less as well as their dependents. One notable change from previous stimulus packages is that individuals and married couples earning US$80,000 or US$160,000 or more, respectively, will not be eligible for the direct payments. The package also extends expanded federal unemployment benefits of US$300 per week through September 2021. Additionally, the federal child tax credit will temporarily increase by 50% or more per child, from US$2,000 to US$3,000 or US$3,600, depending on age. Additional funding will be allocated to support SARS-CoV-2 testing and sequencing capacity, state and local COVID-19 response activities, and small businesses.

COVID-19 THERAPEUTICS On March 2, the WHO published updated guidance for COVID-19 therapeutics. The guidance was published in The BMJ as part of an ongoing compendium of official WHO COVID-19 guidance. The WHO issued a strong recommendation against using hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 prophylaxis. The guidance draws on results from 6 clinical trials with more than 6,000 participants, leading the WHO to conclude with “high evidence quality” that hydroxychloroquine has little or no effect in reducing the risk of COVID-19 incidence or SARS-CoV-2 infection compared, including “small or no effect” on death or hospitalization. Additionally, hydroxychloroquine has been associated with increased risk of adverse events severe enough to discontinue use of the drug.

The same day, the US NIH announced it halted a clinical trial evaluating the safety and effectiveness of SARS-CoV-2 convalescent plasma to treat emergency department COVID-19 patients with mild-to-moderate symptoms. An independent data and safety monitoring board (DSMB) concluded that while the treatment caused no harm, it was unlikely to provide any benefit to this group of patients. The DSMB recommended that NIH stop enrolling new patients for the study. According to a NIH press release, the Clinical Trial of COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma of Outpatients was being conducted at 47 hospital emergency departments across the US and had enrolled 511 of 900 intended participants.

A clinical trial conducted by researchers at the Centro de Estudios en Infectologia Pediatrica in Cali, Colombia, demonstrated that the antiparasitic drug ivermectin did not significantly shorten duration of COVID-19 symptoms among adults with mild disease. The study, published in JAMA, included nearly 400 total patients—200 randomly assigned to receive a 5-day course of ivermectin and 198 patients in the placebo group. Among the treatment group, the median time to symptom resolution was 10 days, compared to 12 days in the placebo group. Additionally, by Day 21, 82% of the treatment group had fully recovered, compared to 79% of the placebo group. Neither of these results were statistically significant, and the researchers concluded the findings do not support the use of ivermectin for the treatment of mild COVID-19 disease.

COVID-19 MORTALITY Researchers from the University of California, Irvine Medical Center (US) published findings in JAMA: Network Open from a study on outcomes of hospitalized COVID-19 patients early in the US epidemic. The study included data for nearly 200,000 COVID-19 patients from 555 hospitals across the US who were hospitalized from March 1-August 31, 2020. In-hospital mortality was strongly associated with age, with the case fatality ratio ranging from 1.4% for adults aged 18-29 years to 26.6% for adults aged 80 years and older. The researchers also analyzed the cost of care for these patients and found a median of US$10,520 for non-ICU patients and US$39,825 for those admitted to the ICU.

The overall in-hospital mortality was 13.6%, but the monthly average decreased significantly over time. In March 2020, the case fatality ratio was 22.1%, and it fell steadily to only 6.5% in August 2020. The elevated mortality early in the US epidemic illustrates the effect from both the intense patient surge on hospitals and limited initial understanding of clinical care best practices. Early in the US epidemic, the vast majority of cases were concentrated in a few major urban areas—including Boston, Detroit, New Orleans, and New York City—so while the overall national peak during the initial surge is similar to the summer 2020 peak and much lower than the fall/winter 2020 peak, the burden was concentrated in relatively few health systems, which threatened to overwhelm available resources. Additionally, many health systems faced shortages of critical equipment and supplies early in the US epidemic, including mechanical ventilators, which negatively affected patient care. As the epidemic spread across the country, the supply of critical equipment and supplies increased, and clinicians’ understanding of how to treat COVID-19 improved, the case fatality ratio decreased dramatically in hospitalized patients.

VACCINE DIPLOMACY Countries around the world continue to craft new partnerships with allies in an effort to secure adequate supply of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines for their domestic populations. Late last week, Israel, Austria, and Denmark established a joint fund for research and development and potential production of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines. The coalition aims to provide long-term stability for booster shots, in the event that emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants that reduce vaccine effectiveness become more widespread. Delays in distributing SARS-CoV-2 vaccines to EU member states may have played a role in Denmark and Austria seeking the partnership with Israel, particularly in light of the success of Israel’s national vaccination effort. Global health organizations have raised concerns over equitable global vaccine distribution during the COVID-19 pandemic, and multilateral efforts such as COVAX may not be sufficient to ensure sufficient access for lower-income countries.

Vaccine supplies and donations have been used as political tools in the past, and early vaccine distribution efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic appear to follow historical patterns and alliances. China and Russia have long been active players in the global vaccination space, fostering relationships with both neighboring and distant countries in an effort to distribute their domestically-produced vaccines. Some experts and news outlets have expressed concern that China and Russia may be overselling their vaccination resources, both in terms of efficacy and production capacity, in an effort to gain political support.

RUSSIAN VACCINE PRODUCTION Russia reportedly finalized an agreement to manufacture its Sputnik V SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in Italy. This would be the first time that the Russian vaccine would be manufactured in an EU country. The contract aims to produce 10 million doses of the vaccine in Italy by the end of 2021, leveraging the production capacity of an Italian subsidiary of Adienne, a Swiss pharmaceutical company. Italian Minister of Health Roberto Speranza indicated that he is open to introducing the Russian vaccine in Italy, but only after it receives approval from the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The EMA began a rolling review of the Sputnik V vaccine last week. Russia also announced that it is currently working on 20 additional production collaborations in Europe.

COVID-19 RISK MITIGATION The US CDC COVID-19 Response Team published findings from a study on the impact of state-level mask mandates and in-person dining restrictions on COVID-19 incidence and mortality. The study, published in the US CDC’s MMWR, evaluated county-level COVID-19 data from March 1-December 31, 2020, and compared counties in states that implemented mask mandates and restricted in-person dining to those in states without state-issued restrictions. To account for changes in state-level policies over the study period, the researchers evaluated COVID-19 incidence and mortality at multiple intervals following statewide changes—ranging from 1-20 days to 81-100 days after they took effect.

State-issued mask mandates were associated with significant decreases in both COVID-19 daily incidence and mortality. The daily incidence growth rate decreased 0.5% for Days 1-20, with the magnitude of the effect increasing over subsequent intervals, up to a 1.8% decrease for Days 81-100. The daily mortality growth rate decreased 0.7% for Days 1-20 and as high as 1.9% for Days 81-100. Similarly, lifting state-issued prohibitions on in-person dining was significantly associated with increased COVID-19 incidence and mortality, although not immediately after the policy change. The daily incidence growth rate increased by 0.9% for Days 41-60 and up to 1.1% for Days 81-100 after lifting the restrictions, and the daily mortality growth rate increased by 2.2% for Days 61-80 and 3.0% for Days 81-100. The researchers suggest that not all restaurants resumed in-person service immediately after state-level restrictions were lifted. Additionally, the public’s comfort with in-person dining may have been initially low and then increased over time following changes to state-level policy, which could potentially explain the limited effect on COVID-19 incidence and mortality soon after the changes.

https://covid19.who.int/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:09 pm Here's the latest Situation Report. My favorite part is the bit on Russian vaccine disinformation. Haven't I read this book before?

::

https://covid19.who.int/
And yet, the US Gov does not declare Russia an open enemy. It puzzles me, really.
Then again, I gather diplomats need job stability too.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem