With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

The event happened around May 2020. Trial was scheduled to start around July. Then I can't find anything else. Of course he is free, as he is out there playing, but I would like to know what the final verdict was, as he claimed the allegations were false.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

The court process is still ongoing - no verdict has been issued. This is as of yesterday, because his lawyer threatened to sue over some articles saying he shouldn't have been entered into Doha (for libel, since he's to be presumed innocent until found guilty).

The news stories about what happened didn't give a lot of objective facts, but it seemed there was a possibility that they were both physically and other kinds of abusive to each other.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Fiona Ferro

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just read a curious fact: Petra Kvitova has never lost a final from a set up. Not even in juniors or at ITF level. Must be the greatest frontrunner on the tour now. I checked myself that it has happened 4 times for Serena and twice for Osaka (ITF level).
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:58 am Just read a curious fact: Petra Kvitova has never lost a final from a set up. Not even in juniors or at ITF level. Must be the greatest frontrunner on the tour now. I checked myself that it has happened 4 times for Serena and twice for Osaka (ITF level).
That's fantastic. Love hearing anything good about Petra. :) Really hope she gets another Slam, post-stabbing .That comeback was so underrated.

Wonder what the best comeback in tennis has been. Do Capriati and Seles take the cake?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Those two are on the list. Connors coming back from wrist surgery and reaching the USO SF at 39 comes to mind. But I am thinking about it and most likely I will got for Petra too. She was knifed in her playing hand and here she is, still competitive. It was indeed very courageous.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think it's still either Seles or Capriati, but Petra certainly deserves an honorable notion. Luckily for her the incident seems to have affected her only in a minor manner (not counting any psychological damage).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, it hasn't affected her much, which is the point here, but you remember the pictures of the injury? I am not going to post them (they are here, with a warning) but it was not as if they just had to take two stitches and kiss her booboo goodbye. That was serious.
Again, the wonders of modern medicine. That operation must have taken some serious skills from the doctors.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Of course, there were also the emotional and psychological scars for both Kvitova and Seles - which makes their respective comebacks more impressive than the others to me.
Capriati, as well, no doubt had to overcome the emotional and psychological effects of her circumstance. But it wasn't on the same scale as being attacked with a knife by a lunatic.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

That's quite an accomplishment for Tommy, who's got to be about 73 years old now, as he's been on the tour for more than 50 years...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:23 pm That's quite an accomplishment for Tommy, who's got to be about 73 years old now, as he's been on the tour for more than 50 years...
:lol:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

The best comeback in tennis is Monica Seles. End of.

Any other example of an athlete assaulted by a third party while in the moment competing? The horror of the Munich Olympics might be the closest.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

the Moz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:48 pm The best comeback in tennis is Monica Seles. End of.

Any other example of an athlete assaulted by a third party while in the moment competing? The horror of the Munich Olympics might be the closest.
Nancy Kerrigan
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Does Agassi count? I don’t know that much about him but didn’t he fall out of the game and become a meth head, only to start playing challengers to work his way back up and ended up with another 4 slams? I know that time out doesn’t compare to Seles stabbing, but if his personal problems were due to mental illness I’d say he’s up there
Mary, queen of shots