With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:46 pm It's more like most of his comments on Twitter, albeit I stopped following him long ago, so haven't seen anything recently. Plus, he doubled down on that Rybakina comment once he started getting pushback for it. I liked him quite a bit as a player and thought his irreverent attitude was kind of fun, but to me his ever-ballooning ego since making the transition to coach has diminished his appeal.

Also, Aryna may remember that coaching duo fondly, but I distinctly remember her not enjoying it while it was happening, or at least there was a lot of on court friction between the two.
Tursanov indicated in a recent podcast that Aryna fired him and he took it pretty hard. He said he would never have quit that job. He didn't say why, but I got the sense that it was personal.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 am
JTContinental wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:46 pm It's more like most of his comments on Twitter, albeit I stopped following him long ago, so haven't seen anything recently. Plus, he doubled down on that Rybakina comment once he started getting pushback for it. I liked him quite a bit as a player and thought his irreverent attitude was kind of fun, but to me his ever-ballooning ego since making the transition to coach has diminished his appeal.

Also, Aryna may remember that coaching duo fondly, but I distinctly remember her not enjoying it while it was happening, or at least there was a lot of on court friction between the two.
Tursanov indicated in a recent podcast that Aryna fired him and he took it pretty hard. He said he would never have quit that job. He didn't say why, but I got the sense that it was personal.
Definitely didn't think for a second that he took it hard, so that's interesting. The social media from both of them around that time was mad strange and it seemed much, much too personal to be airing publicly.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I saw talk on the biggest WTA fansite that Cori had hired Jarmere Jenkins as her next coach. My first response was "why"? The things that need fixing with her game need, in my opinion, a coach who can retool her approach to the basics. She's trying but she's not there yet. I could be totally wrong though and by Wimbledon she'll be playing Slam level tennis.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Rune was coached by Patrick Mouratoglou earlier this year and Rune put out a statement like a month ago saying their partnership had come to an end, and that it was amicable and expected. But now Patrick is courtside in Madrid and was courtside in Monte Carlo (not sure about Munich). So no idea what that means and the commentators I've heard mention it aren't certain either, but it's an update of sorts on his Rune's coaching situation.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The ESPN crew down here talked about it, and expressed surprise too. The chronology is as you say: broke up, teamed up, went missing at Munich, back together in Madrid.
Sounds like a teen-age love story ("I swear, this time is for real, this time I am really breaking up with you, this is different than the other.... 17 times we broke up!")
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:54 pm I saw talk on the biggest WTA fansite that Cori had hired Jarmere Jenkins as her next coach. My first response was "why"? The things that need fixing with her game need, in my opinion, a coach who can retool her approach to the basics. She's trying but she's not there yet. I could be totally wrong though and by Wimbledon she'll be playing Slam level tennis.
what is Jenkins' specialty?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:30 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:54 pm I saw talk on the biggest WTA fansite that Cori had hired Jarmere Jenkins as her next coach. My first response was "why"? The things that need fixing with her game need, in my opinion, a coach who can retool her approach to the basics. She's trying but she's not there yet. I could be totally wrong though and by Wimbledon she'll be playing Slam level tennis.
what is Jenkins' specialty?
Warming up Slam winners? :)

I think coaching is a lot more about getting along, motivating the player, and bringing what they need mentally and with discipline. I'd think about any coach knows how to teach. And Jenkins has had a front-row seat to success, so he knows what players need to do to and how they should manage themselves during and between events. Are there any head coaches who specialize in a shot or style, like serve and volley? I've never heard that as a distinguishing factor among top coaches.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Bajin must have inspired many 'hiitters'..he was coaching Parks a few days ago...

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:15 am Bajin must have inspired many 'hiitters'..he was coaching Parks a few days ago...
You mean David Witt. Bajin wasn't merely not the first hitting partner turned coach, he's not even the first in the Williams family. And Sascha never rose to "coach" with Serena even if he takes credit for her success as if he did.

And Jenkins was coaching Alycia in early April. Haven't heard about Sascha working with Alycia, he's been working with Pliskova this season.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sorry, pronouns! I meant Jenkins was coaching Parks I think
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:32 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:15 am Bajin must have inspired many 'hiitters'..he was coaching Parks a few days ago...
You mean David Witt. Bajin wasn't merely not the first hitting partner turned coach, he's not even the first in the Williams family. And Sascha never rose to "coach" with Serena even if he takes credit for her success as if he did.

And Jenkins was coaching Alycia in early April. Haven't heard about Sascha working with Alycia, he's been working with Pliskova this season.
I thought Witt was always Venus: coach- not so?

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:10 am
JazzNU wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:32 am

I thought Witt was always Venus: coach- not so?
Hitting partner for both, though mostly Venus, then coach of Venus.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

40 Years Into Shaping Champions Like Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova, 68-Year-Old Tennis Veteran Criticizes Coco Gauff’s Coaches for ‘Band-Aid’ Style Treatment of Her Weaknesses
Published 04/30/2023, 4:36 PM EDT
By
SUDIPTO PATI

There’s no doubt about the fact that American sensation Coco Gauff has a lot of potential. In her nascent tennis career so far, Gauff has already bagged several singles and doubles titles on the WTA Tour. Many experts believe that her Grand Slam winning days are not very far away. However, despite Gauff’s undoubted talent and potential, there still are some question marks surrounding her game. It was recently laid bare by the Hall of Famer coach, Rick Macci, who had shaped the careers of several legendary names in both the ATP and the WTA Tours.

In a tweet, Rick Macci, who coached legendary names like Maria Sharapova, Andy Roddick, and Venus and Serena Williams, had a go at Gauff’s coaches. According to Macci, her coaching staff has done very little to address the one glaring chink in Gauff’s armor.

Gauff still has a long way to go in terms of mastering her playing style. In the coming months and years, Gauff will be hoping to figure out a permanent solution to her forehand problem. According to Macci, Gauff’s problem is the result of her reflexes, which affect her forehand technique and have become second nature for the young American prodigy.

In his tweet, Macci wrote, “@cocogauff and her forehand will be addressed and will become her best shot someday.” He went on to write, “(Gauff) needs time off with the exact biomechanical plan to reprogram the reflexes of 12 years and confuse the muscle memory.”

Macci saved his most stinging critique of Gauff’s forehand for the last. “All the advice the past 5 years has been a band aid.” It’s fair to say that Gauff’s coaches over the last 5 years won’t be too pleased with Macci’s opinion.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wta-t ... of-her-we/

Another tweet on the same subject:

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I see some good advice.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

But even Macci doesn't say what her problem is! I have an opinion but what does he think it is - what do other people here think,? I would be interested to hear....