With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Laver Cup

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ashkor87 India

Re: Laver Cup

Post by ashkor87 »

Let us just call it the Federer Cup and be gone with it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:43 am Let us just call it the Federer Cup and be gone with it.
IN. DEED.
About his strokes. He was born to play THIS sport. I bet he would have been a good athlete in other sports, but his skills set was designed for this. Still an amazing FH and BH (he was seldom given credit for that side).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:43 am Let us just call it the Federer Cup and be gone with it.
Well it is being played in Rogers Arena. :lol:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Agassi will replace McEnroe as World Team Captain next year. So the handicapping beings - who will replace Borg? It's confirmed that he will end his tenure, too.

Who was Agassi's biggest European rival? Becker? Ivanisevic?

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/an ... -from-2025
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

My nomination (wild ass guess) is Yannick Noah. I'm working under the assumption that they will want a captain that interests an audience larger that just standard tennis fans.

Post by meganfernandez »

dave g wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:22 pm My nomination (wild ass guess) is Yannick Noah. I'm working under the assumption that they will want a captain that interests an audience larger that just standard tennis fans.
I think they want a legend, someone with more profile. But he has personality.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Becker is too controversial and tainted at the moment.
Edberg. He is/was a friend of Roger, and is as low key as Borg. A little bit more demonstrative.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:26 pm Becker is too controversial and tainted at the moment.
Edberg. He is/was a friend of Roger, and is as low key as Borg. A little bit more demonstrative.
That's a good call. Borg was glitzy wallpaper, at least with Roger and Rafa on the bench commanding all the attention. Edberg would be the same - a little less glitzy but a well-respected legend in the background. I wonder if Roger will be the assistant coach, just so he can be on the bench and part of the show.

Should Tomas Enqvist be promoted? I also wondered about Tommy Haas, given his friendship with Federer. Tim Henman also comes to mind.

Who will be Andre's assistant? I"m guessing PMac won't stay. Roddick? Brad Gilbert - or does he only play leading-man roles? Mike or Bob Bryan?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Problem for the Laver cup is that they set the standard too high. Anybody with only one slam seems like "not good enough" to be the coach. As much as a gimmick that that job is.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:40 pm Problem for the Laver cup is that they set the standard too high. Anybody with only one slam seems like "not good enough" to be the coach. As much as a gimmick that that job is.
It's a total gimmick. A casting assignment. And a way to bring in some legends, which people love. It's fine. The captain doesn't even have to recruit the best team, like Davis Cup and BJK Cup. I'm sure they are paid well, and who would turn down Roger?