Upcoming
USA A. Krueger/USA P. Stearns vs CAN G. Dabrowski/[5] MEX G. Olmos [5]

COURT 9
11:00 AM

WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1

USA K. Christian/L. Marozava vs USA A. Li/DEN C. Tauson
MEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
GBR L. Glasspool [11]/FIN H. Heliovaara [11] vs USA W. Blumberg/SRB M. Kecmanovic
MEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
GER T. Puetz [4]/NZL M. Venus [4] vs KAZ A. Golubev/ESP P. Martinez
MEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
ARG S. Baez/ARG T. Etcheverry vs KAZ A. Nedovyesov/PAK A. Qureshi
MIXED DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
USA B. Pera/USA J. Withrow vs CHI A. Guarachi/FIN H. Heliovaara

COURT 11

MEN'S SINGLES R2
ESP P. Carreno Busta [12] vs KAZ A. Bublik
WOMEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
UKR D. Snigur vs CAN R. Marino
MEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
COL D. Galan vs AUS J. Thompson
WOMEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
SRB A. Krunic vs CZE B. Krejcikova [23]

COURT 12

MEN'S SINGLES R2
USA B. Holt vs ARG P. Cachin
WOMEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
HUN D. Galfi vs GBR H. Dart
MEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
ESP A. Davidovich Fokina vs HUN M. Fucsovics
WOMEN'S SINGLES R2
Upcoming
E. Rodina vs AUS A. Tomljanovic

COURT 14

WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1
GEO N. Dzalamidze/K. Rakhimova vs USA S. Chang/USA A. Kulikov
WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
NED R. Van der Hoek/BEL A. Van Uytvanck vs USA R. Brantmeier/USA C. Ngounoue
MEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
ESP A. Ramos-Vinolas/ESP B. Zapata Miralles vs URU A. Behar/ECU G. Escobar
MIXED DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
LAT J. Ostapenko/ESP D. Vega Hernandez vs UKR L. Kichenok/BRA R. Matos

COURT 15

MEN'S DOUBLES R1
BIH T. Brkic/ARG M. Gonzalez vs RSA R. Klaasen/BRA M. Melo
WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
ROU I. Begu/ROU R. Olaru vs ESP A. Bolsova/NOR U. Eikeri
MEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
BEL S. Gille/POL L. Kubot vs A. Karatsev/AUS L. Saville
WOMEN'S DOUBLES R1
Upcoming
ESP N. Parrizas-Diaz/NED A. Rus vs USA C. McNally/USA T. Townsend

MEN'S AND WOMEN'S DOUBLES ALTERNATE SIGN-INS CLOSE AT 10.30 AM
MIXED DOUBLES ALTERNATE SIGN-IN CLOSES AT 11.30 AM

by JTContinental Emilio Nava has some serious game, although his "soft coaching" is definitely the loudest I've heard so far.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:12 pm Emilio Nava has some serious game, although his "soft coaching" is definitely the loudest I've heard so far.
What's the soft coaching? Just regular coaching from the box?

by JTContinental Yes, the USO is allowing "soft coaching" this year from the stands when your coach is on your side of the court. In reality, they've been allowing it for many years, but only officially this year. Let's just say his coach's voice is...audible.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:34 pm Yes, the USO is allowing "soft coaching" this year from the stands when your coach is on your side of the court. In reality, they've been allowing it for many years, but only officially this year. Let's just say his coach's voice is...audible.
I just call it coaching. I knew they were doing that. It's been allowed on the tours this summer, too. I forget when they started, sometime after Wimbledon. Maybe US Open series.

There has been hardly any talk about it, hardly any reporting on who's saying what and whether it's affecting matches. It will be hard to report because you have to sit close enough to coaches to hear them. TV doesn't catch it. I wish there was more coverage because this is a massive shift in the rules and I want to know if it's having an impact or not.

On another note, Nava is today's SP PITA. I didn't pick Murray so I am free to obsess over Nava. I think this was after he ripped a FH passing shot from 8 feet behind he baseline to win the first set:

by JTContinental His shotmaking has been quite remarkable. It seems like an unsustainable level of play from someone I've never heard of before, but so far holding up well.

by Suliso Sakkari vanquished... WTA finals qualification now under threat.

by meganfernandez Sakkari out in a tight three-setter to Xiyu Wang. Sakkari had a break lead in the third. Caro commentating says Louis might be the new graveyard court. The first match ever in the new Louis, Halep in 2018, was an upset. And that's where she lost this year.

by ponchi101 And Moutet takes down BVDZ.
If you did well last year, you better be careful this one.
Sakkari is another player not being able to perform consistently. But by now, that seems to be the MO of the entire tour.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:11 pm And Moutet takes down BVDZ.
If you did well last year, you better be careful this one.
Sakkari is another player not being able to perform consistently. But by now, that seems to be the MO of the entire tour.
pressure of defending points?

At least Botic went out with a Racket Smash of the Year entry. He lost match point at the net, slammed the racket, and it buckled and bounced to Moutet's side.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:56 pm Sakkari out in a tight three-setter to Xiyu Wang. Sakkari had a break lead in the third. Caro commentating says Louis might be the new graveyard court. The first match ever in the new Louis, Halep in 2018, was an upset. And that's where she lost this year.
Of all things, IMO, Wang mostly dictated this match. Wang had too many double faults, made errors here and there. But, she made enough great shots and won enough big points to take Sakkari out.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:13 pm ...

At least Botic went out with a Racket Smash of the Year entry. He finished the point at the net, slammed the racket, and it bounced to Moutet's side.
Regression to the mean, I would say. You can't expect to play the same and reach the same stages at events likes this, unless your last name is Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.
Maybe Medvedev.

by nelslus Megan's ill-tempered post from yesterday: "The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain."

Nelsluls' new response: PFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! :gorgeous:

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:16 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:13 pm ...

At least Botic went out with a Racket Smash of the Year entry. He finished the point at the net, slammed the racket, and it bounced to Moutet's side.
Regression to the mean, I would say. You can't expect to play the same and reach the same stages at events likes this, unless your last name is Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.
Maybe Medvedev.
VERY luckily for the Positively Un-Raducanu-esque Botic van de Zandschulp (say THAT 10 time fast :gorgeous: ), because he has won so many matches this year, as of now, he has only dropped 13 spots in the rankings- currently live-ranked at #35.

by ponchi101 BDVZ has at least been consistent. He seems to me to be a 3R guy, at every tournament. A bit more, a bit less, as here.

by ponchi101 Cami Osorio takes the 2nd from Riske, one player that makes you wonder, when you see her strokes, how come she is there and you are here.
Second only to Daniil.

by JTContinental Keys and Giron are apparently dating

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:47 pm Cami Osorio takes the 2nd from Riske, one player that makes you wonder, when you see her strokes, how come she is there and you are here.
Second only to Daniil.
That must be on a Colombian TV :)

by nelslus UGGHHHHH. After winning the first two sets 1 & 2- Holt loses in a fifth set tiebreaker, double-faulting. Gutted. Quite possibly the last time he'll have such a chance on a big stage. Damn. Gutted.

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:49 pm Keys and Giron are apparently dating
....Wait, seriously? She's still in the draw playing mixed with Fratangelo. Granted, maybe Fratangelo/Keys have a cuckolding thing going on. :gorgeous:

by JTContinental
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:54 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:49 pm Keys and Giron are apparently dating
....Wait, seriously? She's still in the draw playing mixed with Fratangelo. Granted, maybe Fratangelo/Keys have a cuckolding thing going on. :gorgeous:
Maybe the announcer misidentified him? She also mentioned they are playing mixed doubles together, but I don't know what either of those guys looks like. I thought she was with Fratangelo still as well, which is why I was surprised.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:47 pm Cami Osorio takes the 2nd from Riske, one player that makes you wonder, when you see her strokes, how come she is there and you are here.
Second only to Daniil.
Nope, actually. ESPN down here is showing any player that is Latin. They showed today, already, the Garin match, the Cachin match and are showing bits and pieces of Cami. And they are waiting for Galan.
Remember, they have to go for the regional pride thing.

by JTContinental For the second day in a row, I've found myself thinking "has Chris Fowler lost brain cells?" only to eventually discover it isn't him, but someone with an eerily similar voice and name (Russ Thaler).

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:59 pm
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm
Second only to Daniil.
Nope, actually. ESPN down here is showing any player that is Latin. They showed today, already, the Garin match, the Cachin match and are showing bits and pieces of Cami. And they are waiting for Galan.
Remember, they have to go for the regional pride thing.
I wasn't aware you have ESPN down there and it shows the same for all Latin America.

Osorio beating Riske would be a superb result for her.

by JTContinental
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:57 pm
Maybe the announcer misidentified him? She also mentioned they are playing mixed doubles together, but I don't know what either of those guys looks like. I thought she was with Fratangelo still as well, which is why I was surprised.
It must have been Fratangelo, unless Giron is simultaneously in the stands and on the doubles court.

by nelslus
WELL, Mistress Keys is still listed as in the mixed draw with Fratangelo. Wouldn't it be hot if she had somehow found a way to also dump Fratangelo in the mixed draw with Giron? :gorgeous:

by ti-amie I saw Riske-Amritraj play vs Colleen a few years ago and I continue to be surprised that she wins tour level matches.

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:13 pm I saw Riske-Amritraj play vs Colleen a few years ago and I continue to be surprised that she wins tour level matches.
I remember her husband screaming at her on court once a few years ago while she stared listlessly in the distance, so I've wondered if she would improve her mechanics if she had a decent coach.

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:15 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:13 pm I saw Riske-Amritraj play vs Colleen a few years ago and I continue to be surprised that she wins tour level matches.
I remember her husband screaming at her on court once a few years ago while she stared listlessly in the distance, so I've wondered if she would improve her mechanics if she had a decent coach.
That service motion! Konta had the same one.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:04 pm ...

I wasn't aware you have ESPN down there and it shows the same for all Latin America.

Osorio beating Riske would be a superb result for her.
It is not the same for all L. America. They North (Mexico and central America) and then South SOUTH America, dominated by Argentinian programing.
Cami may pull the upset. She is up in the 3rd.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 pm

WELL, Mistress Keys is still listed as in the mixed draw with Fratangelo. Wouldn't it be hot if she had somehow found a way to also dump Fratangelo in the mixed draw with Giron? :gorgeous:
Given's Maddy's whole "be kind" campaign with her foundation, that would be a scandal.

by ti-amie Cami was up 4-1 in the third. It's now 4-3.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:00 pm For the second day in a row, I've found myself thinking "has Chris Fowler lost brain cells?" only to eventually discover it isn't him, but someone with an eerily similar voice and name (Russ Thaler).
A deserved case of mistaken identity. Keep it up. Not a big Fowler fan.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:44 pm BDVZ has at least been consistent. He seems to me to be a 3R guy, at every tournament. A bit more, a bit less, as here.
I think he has more potential with that serve, FH and willingness to come forward. And he's pretty smooth, for whatever that is worth beyond eye candy. This was a bad performance. Should have won. His volleys at the end were horrendous (I only watched the last few games). I think he can be pretty inconsistent right now. I hope he at least wins a title soon.

by nelslus
Riske-Amritraj is of the Shelby Rogers School of, Playing One Match Playing Phenomenal Tennis And Then Suck In The Next Match. Plus, like all young-ish American players, she always beats Petra. So, all Riske-Amritraj snark is appreciated. (She even managed to marry the wrong Amritraj.) (*Maybe we could all find Riske-Amritraj more interesting if she were so start banging Fratangelo.) ( :gorgeous: .)

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:20 pm Megan's ill-tempered post from yesterday: "The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain."

I wasn't ill-tempered! I said it with pure joy. Maybe gleefully hoping for some carnage was a little mean, but not by TAT standards. :) Don't worry, karma bit me in my dubs match last night.

by JTContinental Alison has heard us all dogging her game, as she has broken back to even up the third set

by ti-amie Has anyone watched Matteo play lately? Something is very off about his game. He may win this match but I don't know how deep he'll go.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:25 pm Has anyone watched Matteo play lately? Something is very off about his game. He may win this match but I don't know how deep he'll go.
And that's why I picked him today. :) He's had surgery and maybe other injuries lately, or illness?

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:17 pm
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 pm

Given's Maddy's whole "be kind" campaign with her foundation, that would be a scandal.
She might have started up an offshoot campaign, Be Kind To Giron.

(Albeit, I'd find it far more Kind for Giron to be Gay.) :gorgeous:

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:24 pm Alison has heard us all dogging her game, as she has broken back to even up the third set
Osorio all of a sudden has been sucking eggs.

by Suliso You get "North" programing in Colombia, right?

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:29 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:24 pm Alison has heard us all dogging her game, as she has broken back to even up the third set
The comm - the male one - said that MCOS tends to lose focus when she's ahead and the words weren't even out of his mouth before she went on walkabout. No one should lose to Riske-Amritraj

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:31 pm You get "North" programing in Colombia, right?
No, we get south. So, ESPN3, showing some tennis, switched it off and is showing last Sunday's Ligue 1 (France) match.
You know how it is here. Soccer is king.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:36 pm
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:31 pm You get "North" programing in Colombia, right?
No, we get south. So, ESPN3, showing some tennis, switched it off and is showing last Sunday's Ligue 1 (France) match.
Please, could you two stop distracting us from our Keys/Fratangelo/Amritraj-Riske/Giron Love Smack-Down chat? It's very distracting. :gorgeous:

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:16 pmThat service motion! Konta had the same one.
Please. Ti. And Everyone. No one EVER is to mention Konta's serve again. (Same for that "ball toss".) #BadServePTSDIsReal.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:39 pm ...

Please, could you two stop distracting us from our Keys/Fratangelo/Amritraj-Riske/Giron Love Smack-Down chat? It's very distracting. :gorgeous:
Sorry. We must open a topic for that. "The perversions fulfilled" topic.

by nelslus On a far more positive note- Rebecca in Round 3!!!!!

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:44 pmSorry. We must open a topic for that. "The perversions fulfilled" topic.
....But, Osorio hasn't won yet....

by ti-amie Cami saved 4 MP's forcing a third set TB.

I've always looked at the TB as a match within a match.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:49 pm Cami saved 4 MP's forcing a third set TB.

At 5-2, the only good news is, it's a 10 point tiebreaker.....

by ti-amie And she who shall not be named has 7 points already...

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:49 pm Cami saved 4 MP's forcing a third set TB.

supposed to be... the match writ small. But can't have a lapse in concentration.

by nelslus
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:29 pm
AH, well, just a bit too much egg-suckage from Osorio in that 3rd set tiebreaker.

by ponchi101 That was pretty sucky. 3R for Cami would have helped her a lot.

by JTContinental
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:39 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:36 pm
Not Chris Fowler has confirmed that it is Fratangelo, ending all drama

by JTContinental Is the USO the only slam who adjusted the final set to actually be longer?

by ponchi101 No. Its is standard now in all Slams. play to 10.
Although I am not sure if it is done at RG. I think yes.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 pm No. Its is standard now in all Slams. play to 10.
But did they not play to 7 before? I can't remember.

by ponchi101 At the USO, yes. It was a regular TB.
---0---
bad day to be a Camila at the USO and have to play a TB.

by nelslus From 5-2 up in the third (albeit just one break)- Giorgi joins the Suckage Club. Madison into R3.

by JTContinental Sakkari mentioned in her post match presser that she is struggling with enjoying tennis and the pressure of backing up her points from last year.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:From 5-2 up in the third (albeit just one break)- Giorgi joins the Suckage Club. Madison into R3.
I think those are two quality wins for Maddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Sakkari mentioned in her post match presser that she is struggling with enjoying tennis and the pressure of backing up her points from last year.
Ups and downs… normal. She and Tsitsipas are mopey twins right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:05 pmI think those are two quality wins for Maddy.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ummmm....they were....well, wins.

Have no idea who's gonna win with Gauff and her. They both need to pick their levels up some.

by ponchi101 I will go by technique. Maddy will hit fewer DF's because she has better mechanics, and will commit fewer UE's. One or two less. That should be enough.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:05 pmI think those are two quality wins for Maddy.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ummmm....they were....well, wins.

Have no idea who's gonna win with Gauff and her. They both need to pick their levels up some.
Gauff

Galán backed up his upset of Tsitsipas. He was fun to watch in R1, didn’t see any of this one.

Serena’s dress looks/fits a lot better tonight. Like they made some alterations.

I think the way Collins played last night, she could go very deep.

Garcia is rolling.

by ashkor87 Almost sure Gauff will win..Nobody can overpower her, and Keys is still a bit slow on her feet..Coco will run her off the court...

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:24 pm
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:20 pm Megan's ill-tempered post from yesterday: "The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain."

I wasn't ill-tempered! I said it with pure joy. Maybe gleefully hoping for some carnage was a little mean, but not by TAT standards. :) Don't worry, karma bit me in my dubs match last night.
Tempting SP fate by picking Alexandrova tomorrow. Might chicken out and change to Cornet. But I usually never change.

by meganfernandez *checks Serena's draw*

This is very good, right?

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 pm Sakkari mentioned in her post match presser that she is struggling with enjoying tennis and the pressure of backing up her points from last year.
It must be a lot of pressure to be ranked much higher than you deserve, and you know it...one more problem with the inflated rankings...it is not only the ones ranked low who suffer,!

hard to know what to do though, maybe switch to a graduated moving average with weights? The simplicity of the current rankings system is an attraction, for sure..that would be lost.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:36 am
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 pm Sakkari mentioned in her post match presser that she is struggling with enjoying tennis and the pressure of backing up her points from last year.
It must be a lot of pressure to be ranked much higher than you deserve, and you know it...one more problem with the inflated rankings...it is not only the ones ranked low who suffer,!

hard to know what to do though, maybe switch to a graduated moving average with weights? The simplicity of the current rankings system is an attraction, for sure..that would be lost.
They could make the rankings 26 weeks instead of 52.

by ponchi101 Please explain "graduated moving average with weights". How would that one work?

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:22 am Almost sure Gauff will win..Nobody can overpower her, and Keys is still a bit slow on her feet..Coco will run her off the court...
Winning is one thing. Running Maddie off the court is another.
This one will go three sets. Nobody is running nobody off the court.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:53 am Please explain "graduated moving average with weights". How would that one work?
The question isn't for me, but the weight could be for beating a higher-ranked player. Seems like they used to do that. Results are already weighted by round and size of event. I don't know what other factor could be weighted.

Personally, I don't think rankings are bogus. They objectively represent the last 52 weeks and they are fair. If you want a more recent picture, look at the race.

by ponchi101 Let's wait for Ashkor to explain that system.
And yes, they did that in the 80's. Beating Martina was worth 50 points, Chrissie 49, down the ranking. It didn't work well.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:24 am *checks Serena's draw*

Yep. Pretty much a ticket to the SF's. Make everybody happy.

by ashkor87 Serena keeps targeting Kontaveit's forehand..which is an awesome shot..wonder what she is thinking,!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:32 am

Samsonova in R4, though.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:37 am Serena keeps targeting Kontaveit's forehand..which is an awesome shot..wonder what she is thinking,!
And why isn't Rennae Stubbs telling her to not do that?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:38 am

Samsonova in R4, though.
Will be played in Ashe, at night, with 23,000 people cheering Serena. Samsonova is nowhere near ready for that.

by JTContinental That was insane

by meganfernandez Stunned. Kontaveit played one of her best matches of the year and still lost to someone who has played 6 matches this year.

Keep thinking about how Sampras won 20 years ago when no one thought he could. I know, he was still Top 20 and was only 28 or 29 years old. But he was on a 2-year title drought and no one gave him a chance.

Sharapova still hasn't put out a message for Serena. :) Sampras has.

I already hate this Oprah message. It's like the Aussie tourism-board commercial and those damn bush birds.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 am That was insane
Thrilling. And couldn't have happened without Kontaveit showing up. But a performance for the ages from Serena.

by Irena2
JTContinental wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 am That was insane
:notworthy: :notworthy: :bananas: :bananas: :yahoo:

by JTContinental Kontaveit was tearing the cover off that ball.

by ashkor87

I think Tomljanovic will stop her..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:53 am

With what? :)

by ashkor87 52 weeks ago weighted the least, last week's weighted the most..easy to implement with computers but hard to understand so transparency gets lost..

by ponchi101 Tomljanovic? What stroke does Ajla have that can match any of Serena's? Ajla is a fine 40-50 ranked player. Nothing else.
Meanwhile, Krunic puts Krejcikova out of her misery. That elbow injury has not healed. Krejcikova has to take the rest of the year off.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:54 am

He he..with solid play..Serena is still a shadow of her former self.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:55 am 52 weeks ago weighted the least, last week's weighted the most..easy to implement with computers but hard to understand so transparency gets lost..
So, the defending champion of any Slam basically has no points to defend from that victory.
I wonder how the players would react to that.

by ponchi101 Leylah out.
Total wins from last year's finalists: 1. I said the over/under was 3.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:56 am

He he..with solid play..Serena is still a shadow of her former self.
I thought she was more than a shadow tonight. She was pretty darn good once she got going. I thought Kontaveit played very well, and Serena played even a little better.

by JTContinental

SWEEP THE LEG

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:24 am

SWEEP THE LEG
Is Ajla that cold?

by dryrunguy Who do I have to sleep with to get ESPN to switch from the Medvedev match to the FAA/Draper match (what's left of it)?

by JTContinental TFW you are half watching the Medvedev match while simultaneously judging your Round 1 losing picks, and you suddenly hear the announcer yell out something about Rinderknecht's blue balls, but it turns out he was just talking about a graphic of where he was hitting his shots. :D

by meganfernandez
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:49 am Who do I have to sleep with to get ESPN to switch from the Medvedev match to the FAA/Draper match (what's left of it)?
That was quick... nice work.

by ponchi101 FAA remains stuck. Not a terrible loss, because Draper is playing solid tennis, but Felix has done nothing since Rotterdam.

by dryrunguy
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:15 am
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:49 am Who do I have to sleep with to get ESPN to switch from the Medvedev match to the FAA/Draper match (what's left of it)?
That was quick... nice work.
I basically got to see match point. A brief tennisgasm. Woo hoo...

by skatingfan Isner's out for tomorrow's match with a fractured wrist.

by jazzyg I did not think Kontaveit played as well as everyone is giving her credit for. I also don't think Serena moved as well as everyone is giving her credit for.

Tomljanovic has been in better form than Kontaveit all summer, and Samsonova has won her last two tournaments. I honestly don't see how anyone is getting a good read on Serena's level yet.

by Deuce Felix is becoming the king of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back... then 2 steps forward, 3 steps back...
Every time we think (or hope) he has turned the corner, broken the ice, etc., he goes out early the next time.
I said a while ago that Denis needs to be more like Felix (more calm and mature, etc.), and Felix needs to be more like Denis (more daring, less conservative, etc.). I maintain that.

Andreescu just won the 1st set surprisingly easily over Haddad Maia...
But even more surprisingly, she did it without any dramatic embellishments! No complaints about her clothes... not feeling sick... (yet)...

by Deuce Andreescu over Haddad Maia in straight sets. Surprising.
The 2nd set was close, and well played by both.

The key game was the 6th (2nd set). Haddad Maia had some break points, and had grabbed the momentum. But Andreescu hung tough and pulled the game out of a hat.

This was the best I’ve seen Andreescu play in a long, long while.
I’d like to like her - she is Canadian, after all... and she possesses a rather dynamic game... But as long as the arrogance and unnecessary drama are present with her, I cannot like her.

by nelslus SO- it is time for some of us to get on the ashkor87 Bianca Express yet?

That was a funny second set for me. Haddad Maia would hit some great shots- but, it's hard to win when you're 0/50 on break points.

Smart match from Bianca- mixed it up a lot. Well done.

by jazzyg I believe the Andreescu-Garcia third-round victor will win the tournament, although i wish I could have seen the match tonight. ESPN elected not to show it and it was available not on ESPN Plus, which I get, but on Watch ESPN, which for some inexplicable reason does not work for me even though it is free (I get an error message every time I try to click on a match).

I might be overrating Andreescu, but if she can beat an in-form Garcia, I don't see anyone in her path that would be as difficult. Gauff? No. Keys? No. There are too many possibilities for a semifinal and final opponent to go over, but the Andreescu of 2019 would beat any of them. The question is can she find that level after a good while in the wilderness and the sagging confidence that comes with losing.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:I did not think Kontaveit played as well as everyone is giving her credit for. I also don't think Serena moved as well as everyone is giving her credit for.

Tomljanovic has been in better form than Kontaveit all summer, and Samsonova has won her last two tournaments. I honestly don't see how anyone is getting a good read on Serena's level yet.
Getting a read with our eyes. You can see when people are playing well. I thought this match was extremely high quality. Funny how we can all watch the same thing and see different things.

I didn’t see Andreescu tonight, but she hasn’t strung together a few good matches in a long time. I don’t think she will find the 2019 form. I thought Naomi had her best stuff for awhile vs Collins, but she’s just not sharp enough. Probably same for Bianca. I’d take any number of players over her right now - someone who has already found that form for awhile. Collins was deadly last night, for instance, although she hasn’t had that form lately. But she hasn’t played much lately either.

Everyone is underestimating Swiatek. She’s a dominant #1 and won IW and Miami. Balls, schmalls. She can get used to them.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 pm No. Its is standard now in all Slams. play to 10.
Now that they've all gone to the tiebreak in the final set, I'd like to see the winner have to win by 3 or 4 points instead of just the standard 2 points.
Having a close, hard fought match decided by a difference of a mere 2 points is wrong. Might as well have a target hitting contest to determine the winner.
Having to win the final set tiebreak by 3 or 4 points would mean the winner is more deserving.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:27 am
jazzyg wrote:I did not think Kontaveit played as well as everyone is giving her credit for. I also don't think Serena moved as well as everyone is giving her credit for.

Getting a read with our eyes. You can see when people are playing well. I thought this match was extremely high quality. Funny how we can all watch the same thing and see different things.

I didn’t see Andreescu tonight, but she hasn’t strung together a few good matches in a long time. I don’t think she will find the 2019 form. I thought Naomi had her best stuff for awhile vs Collins, but she’s just not sharp enough. Probably same for Bianca. I’d take any number of players over her right now - someone who has already found that form for awhile. Collins was deadly last night, for instance, although she hasn’t had that form lately. But she hasn’t played much lately either.

Everyone is underestimating Swiatek. She’s a dominant #1 and won IW and Miami. Balls, schmalls. She can get used to them.
It was high octane--Serena hit 38 winners/40 UFEs and Kontaveit 32 winners/27 UFEs. With the force in which that ball was being hit, I also thought both players were at a high level. It felt like more than a R64 match to me.

by mick1303
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:57 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:55 am 52 weeks ago weighted the least, last week's weighted the most..easy to implement with computers but hard to understand so transparency gets lost..
So, the defending champion of any Slam basically has no points to defend from that victory.
I wonder how the players would react to that.
It is a nice system as a mental exercise. But I think it's application shall be for seeding purposes only. If you look at the rolling or cumulative ranking (especially career cumulative) - there is no reason for downgrading older results. They were achieved under the same conditions on average. So the weight shall be the same.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:15 am I did not think Kontaveit played as well as everyone is giving her credit for. I also don't think Serena moved as well as everyone is giving her credit for.

But we have some data.
A convincing win over a good player, right in the fashion that it should have been: 3&3.
Then beating the #2 seed, in another reasonable fashion. 6-2 in the third.
The problem for all the victims that she will face will be their second serve. Serena hit a considerable number of winners last night of Anett's powder puff serve, and she will do it again and again against Ajla and Samsonova. Because the new crop has no second serve to speak of.
So, with Coco's DF problems (assuming they meet) Serena will crush her serve. Maybe Maddie, who is a very good server, could get by her.

by jazzyg Winners and unforced errors are determined by the speed of the opponent, not necessarily by the quality of play. At times last night Serena moved well. At other times she labored.

I need more evidence than beating a .500 player that she is a threat. She might provide that evidence in the next two matches, but Samsonova, for one, would be a huge favorite over Kontaveit if they played right now.

by ponchi101 But you agree that Ajla has no chance?

by JTContinental
jazzyg wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm Winners and unforced errors are determined by the speed of the opponent, not necessarily by the quality of play. At times last night Serena moved well. At other times she labored.

I need more evidence than beating a .500 player that she is a threat. She might provide that evidence in the next two matches, but Samsonova, for one, would be a huge favorite over Kontaveit if they played right now.
??--winners and UFEs are determined by how and where you hit the ball--opponent's speed factors into it, I suppose, but it is not the driving determination behind it. I guarantee you most of the winners I hit on court have more to do with arm strength and placement than my opponent's speed. Even if this were true, Kontaveit moved just fine and didn't look slow, so just maybe some of those winners were made based on Serena's ability to play tennis.

Let's just say my belief in Serena's ability to go deep in this tournament increased considerably from my original 0%. I don't think she'll win or anything, but her level of play and especially her movement has improved greatly since Wimbledon.