With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

LOL, I KNEW Petra would lose. I just found out about the Petra debacle- I'd been watching other tennis matches to avoid this inevitability- and we took a lovely walk to view the beautiful Full Blue Moon- with viewable Saturn. I mean, she can't beat a player who's played only 3 tournaments in almost four years. Because, if you can actually make Petra think on the court....Pathetic. :gorgeous:

I SWEAR, I'm gonna have to go and pinch (*at least) one of you to feel better. UGGGHHHHH.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Kvitova kept attacking Caro's backhand, which is downright insane.. even I know her forehand is her weaker side.. in the second set, when Kvitova switched to pounding the forehand, she did get a lot of short balls she could put away or volley.. brainless play by Kvitova
(i didnt see the whole match, only the last few minutes plus Youtube - if anyone saw something else happening, please share)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:40 am That was one terrible performance by Kvitova..what does it say about the current crop if someone like Wozniacki, who was roughly their peer, can come back and beat them?
An article in the Guardian mentions in passing that Kvitova was 'under the weather'.. sigh...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

When Roger Federer came back from 6 months off and won the Aussie, we said: "He WAS and STILL IS Roger Federer".
When Rafa took an extended break due to injuries and came back and won RG, we said "That is RAFA AT RG".
When Wozniacki comes back from three years off and beats the #11 player in the world, what should we say?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

We definitely shouldn't be criticizing Wozniaki's fitness level. She is still very fit and still has speed around the court. She hasn't lost the ability to make her opponent hit one more ball.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

One thing that I think about these comebacks.
Woman can start training with good college players, who will give them a very good workout and get them back to top WTA level. The men will only get to hit a top ATP level player when they play a top ATP player. So, the women can simulate WTA conditions before they can return to the tour. The men can't.

Ages ago, the hitting partner for Jana Novotna was a Venezuelan guy. He played futures and challengers, but was never able to break into the ATP (he did play considerable NCAA). He was talking with friends at the club I used to play, and one guy asked him, half jokingly: "So, have you ever beaten Novotna in a practice?" He replied, deadly serious: "Dude, the best she has done against me is losing 4-6. It's two different levels"
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Of course there is no overtaking pure strength of a man. Women's game is still worth watching, though.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:31 pm McEnroe is out with confirmed Covid.
Talk is Carlitos didn't sound good yesterday.
Ons had trouble breathing.
Thiem cited gastric issues/nausea
Eubanks was sick
Also reports that Djokovic wasn't feeling well during a practice (maybe over the weekend).
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:27 pm When Roger Federer came back from 6 months off and won the Aussie, we said: "He WAS and STILL IS Roger Federer".
When Rafa took an extended break due to injuries and came back and won RG, we said "That is RAFA AT RG".
When Wozniacki comes back from three years off and beats the #11 player in the world, what should we say?
We say, Woznaicki ain't Roger or Rafa. Wozniacki was out almost 4 years. Wozniacki most recently had lost to Gracheva- her previous loss to Vondrousova was, of course, understandable.

BY now, Petra should, yet again, be better than this.

That's what we say. :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: