With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Fastbackss »

Thanks Megan, I can't view Ti-Amie's post, so that helped
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:24 pm Thanks Megan, I can't view Ti-Amie's post, so that helped
Did Ti-Amie post about this earlier and I'm not finding it? Hate to double-post.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:46 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:24 pm Thanks Megan, I can't view Ti-Amie's post, so that helped
Did Ti-Amie post about this earlier and I'm not finding it? Hate to double-post.
I didn't post about this. They might be referring to another post?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Fastbackss »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:46 pm
Oops. Ti's post from Reddit wasn't showing; I presumed you were in response to it.
I just looked and it's there now. It's the one about iga and sponsorship deals
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

oof, that's rough. Puts some things into perspective and I hope it gets an investigation.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sadly this is fairly common. In particular with female players coming from modest background.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:21 pm Sadly this is fairly common. In particular with female players coming from modest background.
I think it's quite common with boys too, unfortunately (Agassi, Tomic are two top of mind examples).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am not sure. Just from the top of my head, in the WTA:
Capriati, Graf (at a different and lower level), Pierce, Lucic, Dokic, Sharapova (Juri's behavior was appalling at times), Arantxa (different type of abuse, for sure).
I am missing a few, I know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It does happen with boys too, but significantly less at least by the time they're on the tour already. The unifying theme is parents (fathers mostly) trying to live via their kids.

I wish cases like Rodger's would be more standard. Parents saw that the kid is athletic, sent him to tennis club (football too), he turned out to be very good and highly competitive and that's it. I've never read anywhere of them plotting to become rich via him.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:20 pm I am not sure. Just from the top of my head, in the WTA:
Capriati, Graf (at a different and lower level), Pierce, Lucic, Dokic, Sharapova (Juri's behavior was appalling at times), Arantxa (different type of abuse, for sure).
I am missing a few, I know.
I'm not sure I would put Yuri Sharapov in this category. He was obnoxious against some others and probably tried to own her coaching too much, but I think it's a big stretch to say he was abusive towards Maria (beyond "accepted" levels of parental mistakes). I think he's more leaning towards the Srdjan Djokovic direction of not shutting your mouth when you should than abuse.

Aravane Rezai is another one that comes to mind. I also still think there's a lot left unsaid about Richard Williams.

I think the abuse against boys often gets underreported/unnoticed.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:19 pm
I think the abuse against boys often gets underreported/unnoticed.
You're probably right about this. Also men are older when they start earning serious money. That must have some effect too.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sigh
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Been a fan of him for a long time.
But this is, to me, one of the cardinal sins. It is not too hard to see that anything related to Saudi Arabia is just dipping your hands into blood money.
Sorry, Rafa. You're a hoe.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Germany's top tennis player to go on trial for abuse in May
Jonathan Crane
14 hours ago
The German tennis player Alexander Zverev is contesting allegations he physically abused ex-girlfriend, Brenda Patea. He is contesting a penalty order and fine from October last year.

Alexander Zverev, Germany's No. 1 tennis player, will go on trial for physical abuse in May, the Berlin criminal court has confirmed to DW.

Zverev, the Olympic champion in Tokyo in 2021, is accused of "physically abusing a woman and damaging her health during an argument." The woman, named by Zverev's lawyers, is his ex-girlfriend, Brenda Patea. The 26-year-old Zverev "rejects" the allegations.

In a statement to DW, Lisa Jani, a spokesperson for the court, wrote: "The main hearing in the case will begin in May 2024. We will announce the details in due course."

In October last year, Zverev was given a penalty order by the court and fined €450,000 ($492,700). For lesser crimes in Germany, a penalty order can be issued when a judge believes the case is straightforward and doesn't warrant a trial. The accused can contest the order, maintaining the presumption of innocence, which is why Zverev will now face a public hearing.

Jani said that Zverev wouldn't necessarily have to appear in person, but that he could be ordered to testify by the judge. The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in jail, although a prison term for Zverev would be "highly unlikely" given the nature of the penalty order.

Refuting the penalty order at the time, Zverev's lawyers, Schertz Bergmann, called the proceedings "scandalous," adding that "there can be no question of a fair trial." The law firm questioned the forensic evidence used by the court.

Schertz Bergmann has also sought to quash media reports of the case and its details. In December, German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung was forced to take down an article featuring an interview with Patea, because the article went beyond "the limits of permissible suspicious reporting," according to a statement from the law firm.

Trial could coincide with French Open
Zverev himself has occasionally spoken out against the allegations, giving reporters short shrift for asking about them. At a press conference in November, he described the penalty order as "complete (expletive)."

"Anybody that has semi-standard IQ levels knows what this is all about," Zverev said.

The ATP Tour, which runs men's tennis, had previously investigated Zverev over claims he assaulted another ex-girlfriend, Olya Sharypova. The ATP closed that investigation in January last year, citing "insufficient evidence."

In the absence of any domestic abuse policy at the ATP, Zverev has been allowed to continue competing despite the latest allegations. He is currently in Melbourne for the Australian Open, the year's first Grand Slam tournament, and is set to play his first-round match against a fellow German, Dominik Koepfer, on Tuesday.

It is unclear how the trial will impact his tennis schedule. The French Open, the year's second Grand Slam, starts on May 26.

Zverev's lawyers told DW they wouldn't be adding to their statement released in October.

Edited by: James Thorogood

https://www.dw.com/en/german-no-1-tenni ... a-67981216

Post by Fastbackss »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:27 pm Been a fan of him for a long time.
But this is, to me, one of the cardinal sins. It is not too hard to see that anything related to Saudi Arabia is just dipping your hands into blood money.
Sorry, Rafa. You're a hoe.
It's puzzling when you consider how much he has put into his own academy. It's clearly a passion, but...