With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

For us Hsieh Su-wei fans.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:10 am

For us Hsieh Su-wei fans.
She's so funny. She said she asked several people to partner up (last year, I think) and they said no. Surely for scheduling conflicts.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Serves them right, the idiots! Imagine turning down Hsieh...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Delbonis says adios after 'enriching' 16-year career
33-year-old won two tour-level titles
January 30, 2024

Federico Delbonis brought an end to his playing days on Monday, after an almost 17-year career with a racquet in hand.

The 33-year-old Argentine, who peaked at No. 33 in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings in 2016 and has not competed since October 2023, announced on social media that he is hanging up his racquet indefinitely: “Today is the end of one of the most enriching journeys of my life, but there will be more paths to travel... Thank you! I was very happy doing what I like to do,” he said.

“It is the end of a stage of my life in which I learned to be a sportsman and a person. I had some unforgettable and unbeatable moments on and off the tennis court, but it’s time to listen to my body, which is asking for a break,” explained the Argentine, who claimed tour-level titles in Sao Paulo (2014) and Marrakech (2016).

“I have to thank, without a doubt, all the people who supported me and believed in me through all these years. Starting with you Vir, my daily support, and my children, my family, who were the ones who started this journey. My team, my friends, and above all, you, those that cheered me on and gave me strength from the stands or from your homes,” declared Delbonis.

“There were many experiences and emotions over all these years,” recalled the Argentine, who was also a Davis Cup champion in 2016, when he claimed the last point of the series against Croatia.

In addition, during his time on Tour he picked up some heavyweight scalps such as those of Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka, Andy Murray, Nikolai Davydenko, and Grigor Dimitrov. In two weeks, Delbonis will compete one more time, in doubles, in Buenos Aires.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/delboni ... ruary-2024

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Now it's almost too late to accumulate more of those wins.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I have always been puzzled how people (and betting markets,) seem so comfortable betting on how long a match will go, how many sets, games, and even whether a given player will win in 3 sets or 4 or 5..,I have seen very close 3 set matches and 5 set matches that aren't particularly close..and the court surface matters too..I have seen Federer beating Muller 7-5,7-6,7-5 or some such and it really wasn't close at all, it is just grass that makes it seem so because it is so difficult to break serve..and bagel sets on clay where every point is fiercely contested- again, it is just clay..because serve doesn't matter much, one player can win practically every point by playing just a bit better than the opponent...
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

If Thiem keeps his current form, he won't ever have to worry about having to possibly donate a few K's to the "unprofessional" lower ranked players if the tour gets shut down by another pandemic. 8-)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:36 am If Thiem keeps his current form, he won't ever have to worry about having to possibly donate a few K's to the "unprofessional" lower ranked players if the tour gets shut down by another pandemic. 8-)
Tennis fans have very, very long memories. Players forget that at their peril.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm Now it's almost too late to accumulate more of those wins.
Plus, only three positive records against these guys (Thiem and Zverev vs Roger, Coric 3-2 over Nadal).
This group took a lot of punishment.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The limitations of wood...
Still, an impressive display.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem