With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Fastbackss »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm Now it's almost too late to accumulate more of those wins.
Plus, only three positive records against these guys (Thiem and Zverev vs Roger, Coric 3-2 over Nadal).
This group took a lot of punishment.
Kyrgios over Djokovic too

FAA and Rublev over Federer but only one match
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are right. And I (we) missed Vesely over Novak.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am I have always been puzzled how people (and betting markets,) seem so comfortable betting on how long a match will go, how many sets, games, and even whether a given player will win in 3 sets or 4 or 5..,I have seen very close 3 set matches and 5 set matches that aren't particularly close..and the court surface matters too..I have seen Federer beating Muller 7-5,7-6,7-5 or some such and it really wasn't close at all, it is just grass that makes it seem so because it is so difficult to break serve..and bagel sets on clay where every point is fiercely contested- again, it is just clay..because serve doesn't matter much, one player can win practically every point by playing just a bit better than the opponent...

It's actually one of the places (in my opinion) that the bettor can find extra value. It was reasonably profitable for me during the AO.

Part of this is because there are separate wagers. You can wager who is going to win a particular set, who is going to win in a certain number of sets, or simply how many sets the match is going to go. I like the latter myself, although the odds can be a bit flattened relative to the others.

Real examples from the tournament where I was successful
Men's reasonably high seed typically will usually be expected to win in straights. Think alcaraz, Djokovic. (I didn't have the fortitude to pick early in the tourney for Novak - thought about it but didn't). Can usually get 4 to 1 that they won't win in straights.
On the other hand was Medvedev. I know he tends to play longer matches. Playing hurkacz - it was -260 for it to go four or more. I typically don't choose if it's negative odds but thought this was a no brainer that Hubie would win at least one set.

Another example from AO - Kostyuk vs Mertens - was +112 that it would go the distance. So it was barely better than even, still positive. I had the same mentality here - likely going to be close and there's value in that

Notice in either of the above I didn't choose who was going to win. Those odds tend to be more proven out, less subject to chance - almost like the bookmakers data is and can be more accurate when setting it (also less subject to chance )
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Thanks for the explanation but I must say I would never dare to bet on how many sets...fortunately, betting on sports is illegal here
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Monfils was DQ'd from UTS in Olso this weekend for accidentally injuring a supervisor in the locker room. Said there was no malice and they parted on friendly terms, but they had to DQ him. I guess it's good to [play by the rules and err on the side of consistency with behavior that results in an injury, but this seems like overkill unless the supervisor was upset. Accidents happen. What about common sense?

https://x.com/uts_tour_/status/1756290344902066566?s=20

And is UTS really trying to become a thing? I wonder how much Mouratoglou and his investors are losing on it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And in the locker room?
One hell of a way to promote a league.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:And in the locker room?
One hell of a way to promote a league.
Locker room or players lounge, something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“I never really got into it” – Raducanu’s admission following bagel loss to Kalinina
Emma Raducanu struggled with the conditions in Doha

Carrie Dunn
February 12, 2024

Emma Raducanu admitted she struggled to get to grips with the conditions as she lost 6-0, 7-6 (6) to Anhelina Kalinina in Doha – only the second time in her professional career she has been on the receiving end of a bagel.

“To be honest, I felt like I never really got into it,” she said in her post-match interview. “I think it was a combination of things. It’s the first day match I’ve played in a year. That’s different. Honestly, I need to practise training outside a bit more because it’s very different. Also with the lights, conditions and shadows, it’s really hard to kind of see the ball towards the end.”

The former US Open champion is still on the comeback trail following a lengthy absence due to surgery on her wrists and left ankle.

However, some observers have called into question her preparation for the WTA 1000 event, suggesting that she would have been better served arriving in Doha earlier and having more time to adjust to the conditions. Instead, she opted to spend time in Dubai, and her Instagram posts show her at the opening of a luxury hotel, One&Only One Za’abeel.

(See Below)

Raducanu has yet to confirm her schedule for the upcoming weeks.

“I think I’m just going to go home and practise, and we’ll see where I go from there,” Raducanu said in quotes reported by The Times. “It’s hard for me to get used to the tour schedule. It’s just tournament back, tournament straight away, so I think that I need to schedule my tournaments a bit better, as well as just trying to get some more matches under my belt.”

https://www.tennismajors.com/wta-tour-n ... 43129.html

A fan reaction:

Spinopsys
@spinopsys@aus.social

One of the first things I would do with Emma Radacanu is ditch every single promotional appearance not tied to a specific tournament for the rest of the year and just do #Tennis. But she is obviously not only uncoachable but unmanageable.

Her comments in this piece are a disservice to fans who expect athletes to be prepared to play, even marginally so. How can you not be "into it" for a WTA1000 when the season has only just started and the grind has hardly begun? It's the tournament scheduling that's the problem and not her many promotional appearances all over the world?

The weekly tournament grind is the foundation of the sport but she seems to prefer the weekly promotional grift.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Maybe Emma and Holger can coach each other?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:42 am Maybe Emma and Holger can coach each other?
Holger: Let's practice serves today!

Emma: YAWN. That event last night wore me out. I'm not into serving today.

Holger: Volleys then?

Emma: Did you see what I wore on the red carpet? Didn't I look cute?

Holger: Come on be serious. We agreed to do this.

Emma: I'm bored. Oh crap I chipped my manicure. (Calls and demands an immediate appointment with manicurist)

Holger: MOM!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

:lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:43 am
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:42 am Maybe Emma and Holger can coach each other?
Holger: Let's practice serves today!

Emma: YAWN. That event last night wore me out. I'm not into serving today.

Holger: Volleys then?

Emma: Did you see what I wore on the red carpet? Didn't I look cute?

Holger: Come on be serious. We agreed to do this.

Emma: I'm bored. Oh crap I chipped my manicure. (Calls and demands an immediate appointment with manicurist)

Holger: MOM!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

C'mon, she was in Dubai. Same climate, same time zone, 1 hour flight in a private luxury jet, obviously 7 star hotel, pampered from dawn till way past dusk. That should have been no issue.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

An interesting perspective

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But nothing that is a secret.
Rafa tries to put so much spin on the ball that no two shots are the same. Even when they land short, they will be all over the place.
An unexpected result of the weird finish.