Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by ashkor87 »

I sympathize with all these defences but ..the score is the single most important thing in a report..what do I care about the rest- his opinions and commentary mean nothing. If you can't get the score right, what does it matter what else you got right?!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I disagree. Remember the great match between Roger and Rafa? It was something to something, and somebody won, but the important things were the nuances of the match. ;)
(I disagree slightly. My issue is that these news, to me, seem sloppy, because of a silly mistake.)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:42 pm I disagree. Remember the great match between Roger and Rafa? It was something to something, and somebody won, but the important things were the nuances of the match. ;)
(I disagree slightly. My issue is that these news, to me, seem sloppy, because of a silly mistake.)
Certainly but I don't need a sports writer to tell me the nuances, especially when I don't trust his judgement anyway
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:06 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 am Sinner has announced his withdrawal ..there is no error in the headline, just mismatch between headline And post
A production error. :) Someone pulled the wrong Sinjury story into the Home Page hopper. Rushing produces mistakes, just like in tennis!

Yes, I made up Sinjury. ©️
Then copyright it :)
Creation is copywriting! You don't have to file anything, like you do for a trademark. But I'm not sure a single word can be copyrighted, or that I could claim any damages if someone else uses it. :) But thanks.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 pm The reporter phrased the question in the negative and I think that's what ticked Iga off. If he had asked "Why are you so dominant on clay?" Instead of "Why aren't you so dominant on other surfaces?" She would've probably given a nuanced answer.

In the real world she has more wins on hard than on clay.
Percentage-wise? I wonder if this is a function of more tournaments being played on hard.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 pm The reporter phrased the question in the negative and I think that's what ticked Iga off. If he had asked "Why are you so dominant on clay?" Instead of "Why aren't you so dominant on other surfaces?" She would've probably given a nuanced answer.

In the real world she has more wins on hard than on clay.
I might have asked it like this: "You've obviously had a lot of success on hard court, but your scorelines on clay are consistently more dominant than other surfaces. What explains your extreme dominance on clay?" This grounds the question in facts. The reporter could have even calculated her game-winning percentage on clay versus other surfaces and thrown that out there.

I wonder if the reporter speaks English as a first langauge.

I don't love having to set up the question with "You've obviously had a lot of success on hard court" - if something is obvious, why say it? And it's not insulting to ask about her dominance on clay But if it greases the wheels and sets a courteous tone, so be it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I say it is a very good question. She is quickly becoming a truly great clay courter, but her credentials on the other surfaces are not as sterling. It was also a pretty dull final so, was there anything else to ask?

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm I say it is a very good question. She is quickly becoming a truly great clay courter, but her credentials on the other surfaces are not as sterling. It was also a pretty dull final so, was there anything else to ask?
It was a fair topic to explore, just a clumsy approach. I bet the person isn't a native English speaker. I wish people weren't so easily offended. That said, her hard court credentials are nearly HOF-worthy on their own - US Open, YEC, Indian Wells and Miami double.... they just aren't as good as her clay court resume. She's a victim of her own success in that way.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I think the timing of the question also causes an issue - it seems completely different to ask about the issue after the French Open - as in 'What adjustments do you need to make to your game to be more successful on other surfaces?'.

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:15 pm I think the timing of the question also causes an issue - it seems completely different to ask about the issue after the French Open - as in 'What adjustments do you need to make to your game to be more successful on other surfaces?'.
Someone should have asked if she can be beaten at Roland Garros. I wonder if she feels unbeatable after a run like this and going into a Slam she has dominated. I'm guessing she doesn't think about it that way but I'd love to hear how she processes this kind of dominance.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

The French Open website has this graphic that appears at the bottom of the singles matches called the 'Excitement rate by Infosys'. I don't know what it means, but for the men's semifinals that have Zverev/Ruud rated at 100%, and Alcaraz/Sinner at 88%, and that just feels wrong.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/orde ... 2024-06-07
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:44 am The French Open website has this graphic that appears at the bottom of the singles matches called the 'Excitement rate by Infosys'. I don't know what it means, but for the men's semifinals that have Zverev/Ruud rated at 100%, and Alcaraz/Sinner at 88%, and that just feels wrong.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/orde ... 2024-06-07
From the Infosys IG page: The new AI Excitement Rate feature in the Infosys Match Centre displays how exciting a match is likely to be pre-match and during the match. The rating is determined by a number of factors including the head to head record of the players, their track record at RG, and more.

So, in earlier rounds, some scores were apparently below 75%. As someone on MTF said: Nice way selling your product dumbasses. Also in tennis most times the exciting matches are not the ones you expected beforehand. The reverse also applies, with Swiatek - Potapova getting a full 100% prior to the double bagel.
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And because I am a jerk:
Screenshot 2024-06-07 183413.jpg
I know the French Open could not care less about the USO or, for that matter, all things American. But, sort of easy to remember that Zverev was in at least ONE previous slam final. Pandemic year, was up to sets to love, great match on an empty stadium. Should be easy, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:And because I am a jerk:
Screenshot 2024-06-07 183413.jpg
I know the French Open could not care less about the USO or, for that matter, all things American. But, sort of easy to remember that Zverev was in at least ONE previous slam final. Pandemic year, was up to sets to love, great match on an empty stadium. Should be easy, right?
That’s awful! But not journalism. Great Tennis Marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk