Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

I also could have (8 years there) and did not, but we're a minority.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:01 pm I also could have (8 years there) and did not, but we're a minority.
You live in a better place than the USA.
I would move to the USA not because of any fantastic thing the USA could offer. I would move because depending on the state, it is certainly better than Colombia. Given the options, and if I spoke the language, I would try Sweden, but that is even more farfetched.
My point is that the USA offers better living than almost all countries in S. America, Africa and a lot of Asia. Plus, it is better to be poor in a rich country than poor in a poor country. So, the poor people of the world still look at the USA as an improvement.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Yes, of course. No argument here at all.

You probably referred to Spain and UK as not that attractive in EU. As I see it Spain is a great place to live as long as you don't have to make money there :D

In my opinion UK in recent years has become far less attractive as both a place to live and make a living. A familiar language is almost the only trump it has left. Unless maybe you're in finance industry.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The US is certainly my second favorite country to live in
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:49 am The US is certainly my second favorite country to live in
In how many others have you lived? :)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Trump’s rally in deep blue South Bronx drew crowd of 8,000 to 10,000: law enforcement sources
By Social Links forJoe Marino and Social Links forDiana Glebova
Published May 24, 2024, 11:52 a.m. ET

https://nypost.com/2024/05/24/us-news/t ... t-sources/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Conservatives Angry at Biden’s Anti-Nazi D-Day Speech Defending democracy? That’s an attack on Trump!
By Jonathan Chait, who’s been a New York political columnist since 2011.

President Biden commemorated the 80th anniversary of D-Day with a traditional American speech about the civic values this country has taken from that event: Democracy is good, fascism is bad, allies are necessary, etc.

Conservatives had two plausible options in response. The highbrow rejoinder would be to praise the speech and note that of course they, too, were rooting for Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan. The lowbrow response would be to circulate misleading clips of Biden to make him look older than he actually is. (Many of them did this.)

But some elite conservatives chose a third option: Angrily denounce the platitudes about democracy as an attack on their own values.

Breitbart’s Joel Pollak complains that Biden’s speech was “a veiled attack on his domestic political opposition in the upcoming election.” Erick Erickson moans, “I don’t think it was appropriate for Biden to turn the remembrance of D-Day into a political attack on his opponent.”

It is true that some media outlets interpreted Biden’s remarks as an attack on Trump. But the speech didn’t mention Trump. Nor did it refer to him obliquely. What it did was denounce a series of ideas that Trump does not claim to believe.

Biden noted, “Ukraine has been invaded by a tyrant bent on domination.” He warned, “To surrender to bullies, to bow down to dictators is simply unthinkable.” He denounced “isolationism.” He praised democracy and warned about authoritarianism:

Now, we have to ask ourselves: Will we stand against tyranny, against evil, against crushing brutality of the iron fist?

Will we stand for freedom? Will we defend democracy?

What part of that do conservatives object to? Trump doesn’t claim to be an isolationist, a lover of dictators, or an opponent of democracy. They insist he doesn’t want to break up NATO and only wants to toughen up the allies. His supporters only take attacks on these things as an attack on Trump because they understand he actually loves dictators, believes in isolationism, and hates democracy.

Pollak, hilariously, uses as evidence of Biden’s scrupulous criticism the following line: “[The D-Day heroes] fought to vanquish a hateful ideology in the ’30s and ’40s. Does anyone doubt they wouldn’t move heaven and Earth to vanquish [the] hateful ideologies of today?”

Hearing the reference to “hateful ideologies,” Pollak’s response is “Hey, that’s us!”

All Biden’s rhetoric is totally standard fare from postwar American presidents. This is a bit like how every gauzy Super Bowl commercial in the Trump era about how people should be nice to each other came across as a subtle attack on Trump. When the leader of your party opposes your country’s basic values and human decency, giving a speech touting those values without sounding partisan becomes impossible.

Trump fans apparently think the solution is to stop presidents from giving overseas speeches touting American values...

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... peech.html
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:49 pm Trump’s rally in deep blue South Bronx drew crowd of 8,000 to 10,000: law enforcement sources

8-10k counting by 10's?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:27 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:49 pm Trump’s rally in deep blue South Bronx drew crowd of 8,000 to 10,000: law enforcement sources

8-10k counting by 10's?
Yep. I've seen bigger crowds at neighborhood vs neighborhood basketball tournaments.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Ben Meiselas
@meiselasb
Here is a short summary of Donald Trump’s June 9 speech in Las Vegas:

1. Tells crowd “I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care.”

2. Tells contractors who set up mic and teleprompter they did a “(expletive) job” and he “won’t pay them.”

3. Tells audience to choose “suicide over Biden.”

4. Complains about teleprompter again.

5. Asks “Do I get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark?”

6. Claims he "aced" a dementia test twice: “Not easy to ace!”

7. Says “There has never been people treated more horrifically than J6 hostages.”

8. Calls prosecutor a “dumb son of a bitch.”

9. Complains media is too focused on health of crowd in heat when they should “care about Trump.”

10. Glitches multiple times.

11. Speech ends. Trump whisked away on private jet paid for by donors.

We have all the receipts here

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is just...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I can imagine Putin and Xi licking their lips. Kim too.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »