Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ti-amie »

What is interesting is that this particular trial came about because he didn't want to pay the original fine he was assessed. If he'd paid the fine this wouldn't have been hanging over his head.

From the BBC link posted above:
The Tiergarten District Court in Berlin said: “There has been a settlement between the defendant and the complainant. This settlement is not part of this trial though and the court is not part of this settlement.”

The world number four was given a penalty order last October and fined 450,000 euros (£390,000) after being accused of physically abusing his ex-partner.

Zverev, 27, denied the claims and lodged an objection against the order, which resulted in a public trial.
The money he's paid publicly is for wasting the court's time.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Apparently Mirra Andreeva has pro-Putin views. Quite disappointing. Now I will never root for her...
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:15 pm Apparently Mirra Andreeva has pro-Putin views. Quite disappointing. Now I will never root for her...
You can't compete internationally in gymnastics if you have expressed any kind of support for Putin or the war. I wish that was across the board.......

Neutrality will be evaluated through the following criteria:
1) No link with the Russian or Belarusian military or with any other national security agency
Gymnasts/athletes and support personnel who are or become contracted or are or become in any way connected to the Russian
or Belarusian military, including any affiliated entities, or with national security agencies since the beginning of the conflict (24
February 2022) cannot participate in FIG sanctioned events.
2) No communication associated with Russia or Belarus
Gymnasts/athletes and support personnel must refrain from any activity or communication, either verbal, non-verbal or written,
associated with the national flag, anthem, emblem or any other symbol of the Russian Federation, the Republic of Belarus, their
NFs or NOCs, or from any support for the military conflict in Ukraine in any official venue or in the media (including interviews,
social media, retweets and reposted messages on Twitter, forwarded messages, etc.) at any time since the beginning of the
military aggression in Ukraine by the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.
Gymnasts/athletes and support personnel must not make any public statements or comments or take any action or behave in
any way that may prejudice the interests of the competition, its integrity or the participant's neutrality required as a condition for
participation.
3) No support for the military conflict in Ukraine
Only gymnasts/athletes and support personnel who have not supported nor are supporting the military conflict in Ukraine may
participate in FIG sanctioned events.
AD HOC RULES - CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION FOR INDIVIDUAL NEUTRAL ATHLETES/GYMNASTS OF RUSSIAN AND BELARUSIAN SPORTING NATIONALITY
AND THEIR SUPPORT PERSONNEL
2023.12.12_Ad-hoc Rules_V2.0
Gymnasts/athletes and support personnel employed by or contracted to the Russian and Belarusian military or national security
agencies are considered as supporting the military conflict.
Any other form of verbal, non-verbal or written expression, explicit or implicit, at any time since the beginning of the military
conflict in Ukraine, in particular public statements, including those made in social media, participation in pro- military conflict
demonstrations or events, and the wearing of any symbol in support of the military conflict in Ukraine, for example the "Z"
symbol, are considered to be acts of support for the military conflict in Ukraine.

https://www.gymnastics.sport/site/rules ... _rules.pdf

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

French Open Heading to TNT On 10-Year, $650-Million Deal: Report
Adam Zagoria
Contributor
I'm a basketball and tennis insider

The French Open will have a new television home in the United States beginning in 2025.

The Grand Slam tournament is leaving NBC/Peacock and the Tennis Channel — which has a sublicensing deal with NBC — and will air on TNT, TBS and truTV as part of a 10-year, $650 million deal with Warner Bros. Discovery, according to The Athletic. The year’s second major tournament will also air on the Max streaming service and Bleacher Report digital platforms, as first reported by Variety.

As Variety noted, Warner Bros. Discovery has broadcast the French Open in Europe since 1989 as part of its massive Eurosport pay-TV networks.

The news comes as WBD could lose the rights to broadcast NBA games on TNT next year, putting the future of the popular “Inside The NBA” in jeopardy.

Tennis Channel is currently in its 18th — and final year — broadcasting the French Open and offered close to 2,500 hours of live matches this year on its platforms. NBC will air its final women’s final on Saturday at 9 a.m. featuring two-time defending champion Iga Swiatek, and the men’s final on Sunday between Carlos Alcaraz and Alexander Zverev.

The U.S. Open men’s final on Sept. 8 will air on ABC.

A Tennis Channel spokesman declined comment on the new deal Friday night via email.

Tennis Channel’s talent lineup includes Hall of Famers Martina Navratilova, Jim Courier and Lindsay Davenport, while the NBC/Peacock stable of talent includes John McEnroe and Mary Carillo.

It’s unclear what talent will be featured under the new WBD deal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 20Athletic.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Interview with Noah Eagle (son of Ian Eagle) who was doing the play-by-play commentary on NBC. Both Eagle, and Gill Gross, the host, did commentary for Tennis Channel during the French Open. This covers some of the behind the scenes with the commentary team from a different perspective, and I think Noah had some good thoughts on the dynamics, and differences between Tennis Channel, and NBC coverage.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Zverev case made no sense to me. He said he wanted his name cleared of charges. So, he did not pay the original fine because that would have been like admitting he was guilty.
Now the court says "nothing to see here".
And, the accuser agrees to the solution and will get no money.

Only thing I can say is that it seems it was not about money, from either side. But now we really won't know what happened; only both of them know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:29 pm The Zverev case made no sense to me. He said he wanted his name cleared of charges. So, he did not pay the original fine because that would have been like admitting he was guilty.
Now the court says "nothing to see here".
And, the accuser agrees to the solution and will get no money.

Only thing I can say is that it seems it was not about money, from either side. But now we really won't know what happened; only both of them know.
We have her side of events, and we have his denials. I don't think we were ever going to have more.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Thank goodness that Tennis Channel has lost the French Open. This has nothing to do with the quality of coverage and everything to do with me frequently traveling this time of year and Tennis Channel being available at zero hotels.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:14 am Thank goodness that Tennis Channel has lost the French Open. This has nothing to do with the quality of coverage and everything to do with me frequently traveling this time of year and Tennis Channel being available at zero hotels.
Is TNT generally more available at US hotels?
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

First off I put this in the wrong thread.

Second,TNT is available in just about every U.S. hotel and basic cable system. Would not have helped this year because I am in Mexico, but most years it would.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

My fear is that a small amount will be available on TNT and that the "lesser" matches will not be available on cable and will instead be on their app.

(Fun sidebar though - I have delayed changing cable providers - was going to change to YouTube tv - but TC isn't offered - have to go to a sports tier. The cost for that isn't all that much cheaper than cable and I feel like will be adding aggravation for nothing)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:32 am My fear is that a small amount will be available on TNT and that the "lesser" matches will not be available on cable and will instead be on their app.
Isn't that how it has been with ESPN and TC?
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

To a degree, but I get TC :-D

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

This episode opens with a conversation of Max Eisenbud about how young players, and their parents get the money to fund the sport in the early years before the success. Eisenbud claims that 70% of the players in the French Open draw had agreements with a private wealthy individual to provide funds to get the early career going.