'24 Wimbledon Day 4 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '24 Wimbledon Day 4 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:45 pm Hurkacz injured his knee and was forced to retire just when it looked he's about to level at two sets a piece... What a rotten luck on his favorite surface. Great result for young Adrthur Fils of course.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

After about an hour pause, Fernandez and Wozniacki are resuming their match on Centre Court. The court was called at 3-3 in the third set due to darkness (Wozniacki had been asking for it to be suspended for a while already before that). Then, before the players left the court, the tournament referee (I think) was on the phone, checking to see whether they could finish the match on an indoor court. The farewell ceremony for Andy Murray was just starting at the time, and there was still a match going on Court 1. The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good, so I guess they really wanted to get this one finished, to avoid potentially having to finish this match on Saturday, when everyone else on this side of the draw was already playing their third round match.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

martini4me wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:52 pm After about an hour pause, Fernandez and Wozniacki are resuming their match on Centre Court. The court was called at 3-3 in the third set due to darkness (Wozniacki had been asking for it to be suspended for a while already before that). Then, before the players left the court, the tournament referee (I think) was on the phone, checking to see whether they could finish the match on an indoor court. The farewell ceremony for Andy Murray was just starting at the time, and there was still a match going on Court 1. The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good, so I guess they really wanted to get this one finished, to avoid potentially having to finish this match on Saturday, when everyone else on this side of the draw was already playing their third round match.
I was wondering what happened. Thanks.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:00 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:45 pm Hurkacz injured his knee and was forced to retire just when it looked he's about to level at two sets a piece... What a rotten luck on his favorite surface. Great result for young Arthur Fils of course.
The sequence that followed this point was even crazier. As the commentator noted, there was nothing in the dive to indicate a knee injury. But when he tried to stand up, the right leg couldn't support him and he fell back to the grass. He was on the ground for quite a while. Fils came around to check on him, then a physio. He didn't get up for about three minutes, finally took a few hobbling steps and then eventually hopped to his chair on his left foot. He then received a lengthy MTO where they put a lot of wrap on his leg, above, below and on the knee.

Hurkacz had won the point (on his own sever) where he injured his knee setting up set point in a tie-break. Even though he was still limping badly, he hobbled back out to return serve. And on the first point, he came up to net, and dove (unsuccessfully) for a ball again! Fils won the next point on his serve to set up match point. And THEN Hurkacz retired!! He couldn't just hit an underarm serve to let Fils win the point and the match?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This grass season has been so dangerous.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:06 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:59 pm And the WTF are one step BELOW a slam, precisely because of those reasons.
Played all over the place, BO3 matches. It has no historic venue to call home, and there is a lot of tradition that was lost.

The AELTC will never move from their location because, well, it is a club. And the moment they were to move, a lot of the prestige would go.
The WTF was always below Slams. Not because it was B5, but because it wasn't 7 rounds at the most prestigious events. The [point is to compare the tournament under B3/B5 to the tournament under all B5. And the reputation of the WTF and Masters didn't change when they dumped B5. We don't value them less than we did when they played B5 (in finals, at least). Slam reputation would be just fine with B3/B5.
Not sure. Look at what happened to the Davis Cup when it changed their format. It was already downtrodden, but now it is truly a 2nd class tournament.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I would not say that nobody pays attention to the MS 1000 and YEC getting rid of 5-set finals. Some do notice those things )) for instance, Federer won more of those than Nadal and Djokovic. The same with YEC, yes Novak won 7 against 6 for Fed. But none of his 7 were BO5, while Fed won 3 BO5 out of his 6.