Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Oh boy.

Eric Adams Is Indicted on Federal Charges
Mayor Eric L. Adams has been indicted on federal criminal charges, according to people with knowledge of the matter, and will be the first mayor in New York City history to be charged while in office.

The indictment is sealed, and it is unclear what charge or charges Mr. Adams will face.

A retired police captain, Mr. Adams was elected as the city’s 110th mayor nearly three years ago on a campaign pledge of reducing crime and bringing professionalism and “swagger” to the largest municipal government in the country.

But the mayor staffed top positions with friends and loyalists, and his inner circle has been engulfed by numerous federal investigations that have increasingly targeted the highest ranks of city government. Earlier this month, federal agents seized phones from numerous top city officials, including a top aide to Mr. Adams, the schools chancellor and the police commissioner. The commissioner, Edward A. Caban, and the schools chancellor, David C. Banks, later resigned.

Federal authorities seized Mr. Adams’s electronic devices last November, just days after they searched the Brooklyn home of his chief fund-raiser. His aides have claimed he has been cooperating with the authorities, while Mr. Adams has maintained that he did nothing wrong.

The indictment raised immediate questions about Mr. Adams’s ability to serve as mayor, adding to the growing pressure for him to step down. Gov. Kathy Hochul has the power to remove him from office.

Several federal corruption investigations have reached top people around Mr. Adams, with some of the highest-ranking officials in his administration coming under scrutiny. Read more about the investigations here.

The swarm of federal inquiries in the lead-up to the indictment of Mr. Adams plunged his administration into a free fall, further diminishing his political stature. It raised doubts about his re-election chances next year and his ability to engage with other political leaders. Read more about the challenges in City Hall here.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/09/25 ... corruption#

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:19 am Oh boy.

Eric Adams Is Indicted on Federal Charges
Mayor Eric L. Adams has been indicted on federal criminal charges, according to people with knowledge of the matter, and will be the first mayor in New York City history to be charged while in office.

The indictment is sealed, and it is unclear what charge or charges Mr. Adams will face.

A retired police captain, Mr. Adams was elected as the city’s 110th mayor nearly three years ago on a campaign pledge of reducing crime and bringing professionalism and “swagger” to the largest municipal government in the country.

But the mayor staffed top positions with friends and loyalists, and his inner circle has been engulfed by numerous federal investigations that have increasingly targeted the highest ranks of city government. Earlier this month, federal agents seized phones from numerous top city officials, including a top aide to Mr. Adams, the schools chancellor and the police commissioner. The commissioner, Edward A. Caban, and the schools chancellor, David C. Banks, later resigned.

Federal authorities seized Mr. Adams’s electronic devices last November, just days after they searched the Brooklyn home of his chief fund-raiser. His aides have claimed he has been cooperating with the authorities, while Mr. Adams has maintained that he did nothing wrong.

The indictment raised immediate questions about Mr. Adams’s ability to serve as mayor, adding to the growing pressure for him to step down. Gov. Kathy Hochul has the power to remove him from office.

Several federal corruption investigations have reached top people around Mr. Adams, with some of the highest-ranking officials in his administration coming under scrutiny. Read more about the investigations here.

The swarm of federal inquiries in the lead-up to the indictment of Mr. Adams plunged his administration into a free fall, further diminishing his political stature. It raised doubts about his re-election chances next year and his ability to engage with other political leaders. Read more about the challenges in City Hall here.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/09/25 ... corruption#

TBH I always felt he was incompetent. I didn't think he was so corrupt.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by Owendonovan »

"TBH I always felt he was incompetent. I didn't think he was so corrupt."

I expected nothing from his administration and got less. Such a wasted opportunity, pisses me off.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:35 am "TBH I always felt he was incompetent. I didn't think he was so corrupt."

I expected nothing from his administration and got less. Such a wasted opportunity, pisses me off.
There was a competent woman, Maya Wiley, who ran for Mayor. For the first time ever they used a scheme called proportional representation that made it so if you voted for Ms Wiley votes for her would've been distributed so someone like Curtis Sliwa who no one wanted. That's how we got stuck with him.

Owen I agree with your statement. He did nothing for the city and apparently thought he was smart enough not to get caught by the Feds. SMH

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Andrew Weissmann (weissmann11 on Threads/Insta)🌻
@AWeissmann_

BREAKING: Eric Adams, the sitting NYC mayor, has been indicted on federal charges, per
@nytimes
. The charges are still under seal.
Note: a sitting mayor can be charged, as can a sitting Senator, but DOJ policy is that a sitting president cannot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:30 am
No he won't.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Owendonovan »

I'd certainly like him to lose in a landslide. I'd like some receipts on those donations he's making to rally goers. I certainly wouldn't doubt some PAC associated with him paid people.
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:07 am I'd certainly like him to lose in a landslide. I'd like some receipts on those donations he's making to rally goers. I certainly wouldn't doubt some PAC associated with him paid people.
I would too. But it is way closer because of the electoral college. Def. Won't win the popular vote.
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:

Post by Owendonovan »

NYC Mayor Adams threw his life away for a measly $100k. That's just a wildly low number to put it all on the line for.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes. But that is what greedy people do. They do not calculate the cost/benefit ratio. The benefit was well known but the costs were ignored.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Owendonovan »

Compromising my principles and values would cost many more millions.