With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
patrick United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by patrick »

Deuce wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:30 am I don't like how she says to direct further questions to Stuart.
If you're going to take a stand like this, you need to answer the questions yourself; you need to be prepared for the feedback, whether it's positive or negative.

I'm afraid that Naomi is becoming a little too much of a 'diva' now. With all the praise she's received - much of it deserved -, maybe it's gone to her head and she's beginning to think that she's bigger than the game.
Before her media announcement, I have seen her be the face of a lot of products consistently. Wonder what those sponsors are thinking after her media announcement?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Not that much support from her peers.

Barty: In my opinion, press is kind of part of the job. We know what we sign up for as a professional tennis player

Nadal:

Swiatek:

Q; Do you find the press conference experience difficult and do you think at times it affects your mental health?

A: I don't. I personally feel that this is part of the job.
MJ2004

Tennis Random, Random

Post by MJ2004 »

No sympathy for Naomi here. Mental health is a serious issue. I feel she’s making light of it by drawing it into this conversation - sorry, needing to answer a few questions after a job-related event is not an attack on one’s mental health. She’s in danger of turning into the epitome of the Gen Z whining stereotype.

She hates doing press and can afford to skip it? Fine. But just be honest, say you hate it, and don’t needlessly draw mental health into the conversation.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:24 am Why is she assuming that players are having mental health issues?
Her point is that IF YOU HAVE mental health issues, you should not be required to answer such questions. But what percentage of the players' population has such issues?
Does she have any such problems, for example?
I think she is saying (it's not well-phrased) that having to be in a press conference when you are in a vulnerable mental state is dangerous for one's mental health and could lead to mental illness, not that players are dealing with mental illnesses.

(I know mental "illness" is a heavy word, but that's what depression, anxiety, etc. are classified as)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Navarro is in the final of the women's NCAA championship against the defending champ, a grad student from Miami. Good match so far, Navarro won the first set 6-3. It's free on Tennis.One

Edit - she won 3 and 1. Really dominant and wasn't even doing anything super special, just solid baselining. Guess it's no surprise but the opponent was made to look like the amateur she is. Abigail Forbes at UCLA was also in the tournament, losing to the defending champ after leading a set and a point for 5-0. I've seen her name in some tour draws. Probably wild cards or doubles.

Anyway, wonder if Navarro will stay at Virginia or go pro. Thinking pro. Not sure she's going to improve much playing NCAA for the next few years, but maybe she likes the lifestyle and wants a degree.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Interesting thread

P1
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P 3/L

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

There were some posts regarding Players and press conferences that were in the Roland Garros topic; I have moved them here to have the entire conversation in one topic as opposed to spread on two.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 pm There were some posts regarding Players and press conferences that were in the Roland Garros topic; I have moved them here to have the entire conversation in one topic as opposed to spread on two.
Thanks.
You missed a few in the other thread, including one of yours - one Wednesday night by Kevin (the first one on the subject in that thread), and a few consecutive ones on Thursday morning (Eastern U.S. time), starting with Liam's.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is the discussion that needs to be had.

P1

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2

Bennett Hipp @BennettHipp Replying to
@SorayaMcDonald
The question Coco got yesterday about Serena was a perfect example of this.
(I don't know what the question was)

Tom Jackman @TomJackmanWP
That was the next thing I was gonna say.

Sonia Jimenez
@Sonia6349 Replying to @SorayaMcDonald
Serena Williams and her hair, Simone Biles and her hair. Also, there must be something wrong with them. They are TOO good at what they do.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Osaka didn't mention anything about race or gender in taking her position of not doing any media at Roland Garros. Her focus, made rather clear, is the mental health of seemingly all nationalities and genders. Whether one agrees with her or not, that is her purpose and position.

It was just a matter of time before someone appropriated Naomi's stance and used it to try to further their own agenda.

Tennis is one of the most diverse of all sports, with players and coaches coming from all corners of the planet.
I, personally, have seen an equal number of bad, disrespectful treatments of athletes of of all races, nationalities, and genders by some members of the media, and good, respectful treatment of athletes of all races, nationalities, and genders by some members of the media.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I think it's an interesting topic and that maybe other players have similar issues but haven't spoken up about it. If nothing else, it might make reporters who are open to the idea that there might be some unwanted bias in their questions open to a little self reflection.

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Haven't read everyone's posts on this, but Brad Gilbert made the point that the Japanese media is pretty aggressive. He learned this when he coached Nishikori. "The tennis media" is too big, diverse, and professional to indict as a whole. Need more specifics. Someone should ask her if she meant-- oh, wait, never mind. We'll have to wait until she gives us more info on social media if she feels like it. Sounds like a good system.