Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:44 pm Mostly I can handle all insults. But that one I hate the most. So, maybe it is just you, but also, maybe it is just me. ;)
I have actually gone to blows over it.
You are a native Spanish speaker, so I will defer to you, but from what I've seen, the word "stupid" is much stronger in Spanish than it is in English. It's common for native English speakers to say, "Oh, that was stupid" when they do something wrong. From what I've learned, that doesn't happen in Spanish. So that might be part of it. What do you think?

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is pretty strong in Spanish. Therefore my dislike for the word. That is true.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'd be ok with Coco's explanation if I hadn't watched the video. Her opponent was hitting shots right to her, it takes no effort to block the ball back into play, she made a decision to hit balls out, net them, or slice lobs to frustrate her opponent. But if it's true that the opponent declined to warm up with her coach, then that sounds like gamesmanship too, so whatever.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't speak Spanish, and I found Medvedev's behaviour to be immature, insulting, ridiculing, boorish, and incredibly disrespectful. One can easily dispute a call - even in anger - without ridiculing the official and painting him/her out to be a moron, which is what he did. I lost considerable respect for him because of that episode.
I'd have expected that those who call out abusive and disrespectful behaviour would object to what Medvedev did, rather than find it funny.

As I mentioned above, where I linked to the episode in question, I think players do this because they are essentially immune from punishment. They are so financially rich that a fine has no financial effect on them.
The second reason they do this is because the players have a sense of absolute entitlement. They are treated as 'gods' basically everywhere they go - including, and perhaps especially, at tournaments - and I think that some players truly feel that they are 'better' people than 'lowly' officials - and that allows them to treat officials in this disrespectful manner.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Medvedev certainly lack the ability to shut up, when necessary. In his defense - the call, albeit formally correct, was quite illogical.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 pm Medvedev certainly lack the ability to shut up, when necessary. In his defense - the call, albeit formally correct, was quite illogical.
Serious here. Should we then give the umpires unlimited discretion on all rules? If we do that, then we would need no rules.
It reminds me of the call during the USO final between Stosur and Serena. Stosur had no chance to get to that smash, but Serena did yell way before the ball had landed. So if the umps do not enforce this rule, how fast do you think players will start abusing it? Look how they are well on their way to make the MTO's rules a total joke.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The people vs Novak Djokovic
Not even his back story endears the tennis great to audiences
JANAN GANESH

FT articles don't allow cut and paste. They'll go after you. Interesting article especially given Mick's comments in the "Post Big 3" thread.
I had to remove the link. Wertheim's tweet is below.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The link only takes you to a subscription page. Sorry, can't afford it :(

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:41 pm The link only takes you to a subscription page. Sorry, can't afford it :(
I'll try to see if I can find this elusive "share" button they say is next to the article. Or back into it somehow. Sorry. I thought it would take you to the article.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This might be the best way to view the article.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. Thanks. That must be the article that MJ was penning a response to.
If the writer was trying to make him more endearing, then, once again, it is Novak's own people that sometimes fail him. Knowing that he keeps a "gratitude journal" or that he keeps a "connection with my own soul" will endear him to the metaphysical crowd, but the rest of the article boils down to: Novak went through a really hard childhood, growing up in Belgrade during the Balkan wars, while Roger and Rafa grew up in posh Basel and Mallorca, so give Novak a break.
MJ penned a much better response than anything I could come up with.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN L. America was talking about Naomi's 1st press conference, which she ended up in tears.
I really do not know anything about TMZ, if it is reliable and/or fair, but it is the sole article I can find. The article claims that, as reported by Ben Rotherberg, a reporter phrased an aggressive question and that triggered Naomi's response. Unfortunately, the clip here included does not show that part of the interview.
NAOMI OSAKA TENNIS STAR BREAKS DOWN IN TEARS ... At 1st Press Conference Since French Open Drama

If she can't deal with interviews, the WTA/ITF, and the ATP (in case some of their players also can't) really have to check on this. It serves no purpose to have her leave press conferences in tears.