With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
dryrunguy

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by dryrunguy »

Once I got past the title of that piece, which took several minutes because I couldn't quite understand why we weren't setting our sights a little higher than Andy Roddick, especially the on-court persona that was an embarrassment late in his career, there's a lot of good stuff there. And several of the theories have been raised here before.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Andy Roddick is a 4-5 Slam player in a normal era. Like the one we're starting now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:43 pm Andy Roddick is a 4-5 Slam player in a normal era. Like the one we're starting now.
Totally. In fact, he should be a two slam player, if only for one incredible high backhand volley that he missed.

I also think that tennis is no longer a sport for a majority of kids. There is no appreciation score nor any way you can hide when you get beat. The score is too clear. You cannot lose a match and have your friends tell you "the judges robbed you".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Neither can you in swimming or golf.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

My god, has any non-tennis publication given so many words to tennis as this GQ piece in like the last 15 years? Insanely long.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm Neither can you in swimming or golf.
Oh, there are plenty. But, for example, in golf you did not get beat by a fellow player; you play against the course.
In swimming, in sprinting, in plenty of sports, the clock tells you where you stood, but you seldom, if ever, race against ONE other person. You get 1 winner, 7 losers, who can have each other to talk with.
In our sport, you lose and you lose alone. It is a particularly lonesome activity, unless you play doubles all the time.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:18 pm My god, has any non-tennis publication given so many words to tennis as this GQ piece in like the last 15 years? Insanely long.
And no way to really tl;dr the article either. It's about time someone did an article like this on US men's tennis. He looked at everything that's been said about men's tennis failings. Let's see if someone picks up on some of his points and digs deeper.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Pottygate rages on.

Stef has his defenders.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, of course, Mr Ramamurthy keeping it classy. Murray specifically said that was not the reason he lost. And the moment you insult the other player, sort of like, you lost.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From the horses's mouth:

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

In the end, I agree with Tsitsipas. I dont like the fact that he does it and it's not going to win him fans, but can't fault him for doing it f he's within the rules. The rules need to change.

(Obviously, texting during that break is against the rules).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. The point now is: will the organizations review the ENTIRE rules book? It is not just the bathroom breaks. The MTO's are out of control too. And, as I said already, it is not the public or an outside entity complaining. It is players complaining about other players. That should count for something.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:43 pm Indeed. The point now is: will the organizations review the ENTIRE rules book? It is not just the bathroom breaks. The MTO's are out of control too. And, as I said already, it is not the public or an outside entity complaining. It is players complaining about other players. That should count for something.

This is what the player's council is for.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:05 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:43 pm Indeed. The point now is: will the organizations review the ENTIRE rules book? It is not just the bathroom breaks. The MTO's are out of control too. And, as I said already, it is not the public or an outside entity complaining. It is players complaining about other players. That should count for something.

This is what the player's council is for.
I don't quite understand what the Player's Council can do in this situation short of getting Stef in a locked room and jacking him up? As long as there is no set in stone rule that limits bathroom breaks why would he stop? He's escalated from problems with shoes to taking his phone with him on a potty break.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »