With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

atlpam wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:16 pm When I played league tennis in Atlanta, mixed doubles in the summer was the toughest season for me. My husband and I typically played the bottom of the line-up so for a match that started at 9AM, we usually hit the court around mid day. I've played plenty of 3 setters and used to bring a cooler with a wet towel in it to put across the back of my neck on changeovers. Came close to heat exhaustion on a couple of occasions. Sweating was good - it's when you stop sweating that it becomes a problem.
Haha good point about sweating! Atlanta in the summer would be brutal. I couldn't do it. Same with DC and points south of you guys. I almost moved to Miami once, and I was like, great, all the tennis! Then I was like, hell no, I cannot play in that summer swamp.

I've had heat exhaustion once or twice. Once, the heat index was 110 or so. I retired. Didn't have a hat and my head was actually sizzling. Indy can get pretty humid in the summer, too. The towel in this photo is chilled (actually partially frozen) and scented with eucalyptus oil. Soooo nice!

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:47 pm The crazy part of his statement is that, if there is one sport in which "normal" people participate A LOT, it has got to be tennis (and golf). This is not Formula 1 or Nascar, where truly 99% of reporters have never been in one of those cars. It is not even NFL football, in which plenty of people reporting on the sport have never worn pads. There are plenty of people playing tennis in the summer in Atlanta or Florida, at noon. Drenched in sweat and not taking 60 seconds breaks in between games because their $60/hour court fee does not allow them.
Disgusting story, feel free to skip the next paragraph:
I went to college in Florida. During one summer, I once took off my shirt and, because I WAS NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN A PRO, had to squeeze my t-shirt off all the sweat. I almost filled the can of balls with what came out, and then overflowed it with what was in my bandana.
So don't assume so quickly, Reilly, that NOBODY knows what poor darling Stefanos is going through. The one part I really don't know about is having 6 extra T-shirts in my bag, three shorts, 5 pairs of socks and a pair of extra shoes. That part I really don't know.
At least you can take off your shirt on the court. :) I read it. Isn't too gross for me! I don't know how anyone plays in Florida between April and October. Didn't know you went to school here! What part of Florida?

And 100% on fans playing the sport. Not only playing, but competing. People might play basketball for fun, but I'm guessing most adults aren't actively trying to become better basketball players. It's one thing I love about tennis and writing about it. It's one of the sport's best virtues. Almost everyone in the media room has played at some level. Obviously not anywhere near elite (although some played high-level college tennis), but it's all relative.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I went to Florida Institute of Technology, which at the time had a campus at Jensen Beach. That is about 1 hour drive north of Palm Beach. The school is now known as Florida Tech because FIT, The Fashion Institute of Technology, won the battle over the name.
I remember during the 80's how USTA promoted the sport as "The Sport for a lifetime", which is true.
Again, Reilly's opinion is kind of weird and he is again missing the point. The PRESS is not saying that Stefanos takes too much time when he goes to the toilet; a fellow, much more accomplished player is saying he takes too long, a peer is saying he takes too long, and everybody can see the on-court clocks and say "he is taking too long". With a so far rather bland USO, what is the press supposed to report about? The 45 aces he hit in his first match?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm I went to Florida Institute of Technology, which at the time had a campus at Jensen Beach. That is about 1 hour drive north of Palm Beach. The school is now known as Florida Tech because FIT, The Fashion Institute of Technology, won the battle over the name.
I remember during the 80's how USTA promoted the sport as "The Sport for a lifetime", which is true.
Again, Reilly's opinion is kind of weird and he is again missing the point. The PRESS is not saying that Stefanos takes too much time when he goes to the toilet; a fellow, much more accomplished player is saying he takes too long, a peer is saying he takes too long, and everybody can see the on-court clocks and say "he is taking too long". With a so far rather bland USO, what is the press supposed to report about? The 45 aces he hit in his first match?
I see what you mean by the press vs player. I also think he's saying the press obsessed over it and weighed in with opinions he thinks are uninformed. There's something both of those things. He still went overboard with this criticism. It's not cool for players to perpetuate the myth that the tennis media sucks. That was so low. It also got play in the non-tennis press. It wasn't all the tennis press.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not. Quite. That is the number of weeks at number 1 that broke the previous record. Held by... you know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:53 pm
Ostentatious.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:59 pm
I'm glad she's letting people know that this is happening - because most people have no clue.

These nasty messages from idiots is going to keep happening - and keep getting worse. It's amazingly pathetic.
At best, the increased acceptance of and amount of betting will ruin some careers.
At worst, it will ruin sports.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

How to pronounce the Dutchman's name

https://forvo.com/word/botic_van_de_zandschulp/
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:08 pm How to pronounce the Dutchman's name

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know they have proper nouns too. For anyone leaning a foreign language, Forvo is an awesome resource. :)

Kevin
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

To hear Botic's own pronunciation of his name, go to his profile on the ATP site and click on the speaker icon.

His name translates to English as "of the sand shell."
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

To hear Botic's own pronunciation of his name, go to his profile on the ATP site and click on the speaker icon.

His name translates to English as "of the sand shell."
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Giorgi

Kristina Pliskova