With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
the Moz Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by the Moz »

:bananas:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't see how they can list a specific amount of time for a bathroom break - simply because not all bathrooms, toilets, etc. are located the same distance from the court. This is likely the reason that no set time limit currently exists, and that the time frame is listed only as "reasonable" - meaning a reasonable amount of time relative to the proximity of the toilet to the court.

One of my linesmen friends told me that when a player takes a bathroom break, he/she MUST use the toilet. If the player doesn't use the toilet to do '#1' or '#2', it is a code violation. This is one reason that an official (usually a linesperson when they are being used) goes to the toilet with the player (but doesn't go into the stall with them!). Therefore, a bathroom break is to use the toilet. You can also change clothes or whatever, but peeing or crapping must be done.
I don't know if different tournaments have different rules about this - but I would doubt it.
I remember one time a few years ago at a tournament, I walked into a common men's bathroom, and 10 seconds later, Nicolas Kiefer came running in from one of the courts he was playing on.

Maybe simply having the players wear diapers is the solution...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Good point on the proximity comment Deuce :thumbsup:

Does that mean changeovers have a set time, but the 'reasonable' time span between sets is really determined by when both players decide to come back to court from a toilet break?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The problem with the word 'reasonable' is that it is entirely relative to and dependent upon what each individual views as reasonable.
Tsitsipas and his father might think that 10 minutes is reasonable. Murray might think that 4 minutes is reasonable. The chair umpire might think that 8 minutes is reasonable. The tournament referee might think that 6 minutes is reasonable... etc....

The only way I can see them placing any sort of set time on it would be to measure the distance between the court and the nearest toilet, and place a time value on every 20 feet or so - as in 'you're permitted 10 seconds for every 20 feet of distance'. Then add a designated amount of time for the period the player is physically in the bathroom...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Woody

Post by Woody »

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have planned breaks instead. Like, a 10 minute break after the second and fourth sets. If both players agree to resume faster, then they can. That way, no gamesmanship, everyone knows what to expect, you can hit with a partner if you want.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Woody wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:08 pm I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have planned breaks instead. Like, a 10 minute break after the second and fourth sets. If both players agree to resume faster, then they can. That way, no gamesmanship, everyone knows what to expect, you can hit with a partner if you want.
The ATP and WTA should hire you. :) That's a brilliant idea.

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:27 pm
Woody wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:08 pm I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have planned breaks instead. Like, a 10 minute break after the second and fourth sets. If both players agree to resume faster, then they can. That way, no gamesmanship, everyone knows what to expect, you can hit with a partner if you want.
The ATP and WTA should hire you. :) That's a brilliant idea.

Kevin
I've thought about the planned break, not only for the players but for fans, too. Gives them more time to leave and return without missing most of a set. They'll still miss some action, but not as much.

Most sports have regular breaks, so it makes sense in that regard. But I can't quite let go of the attrition part of tennis. I know you said the players could agree to resume faster, but the player with momentum will be screwed in many cases, and regardless, it's a moot point because of TV. They need to know how long breaks are. They would not like this as a strong possibility in every match.

This is really up to the players and tournaments to sort this out based on what they need and makes sense. It's a fun topic for fans and media to debate, I guess. Whenever it's Andy mouthing off, at least. If it had been Dan Evans or Pablo Cuevas, no one would have cared. Such a week-one story.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just to remind: Davis Cup matches had a 10 minute break built in after the third set. Everybody was happy about that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Woody's idea deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for tennis :thumbsup:

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 pm Just to remind: Davis Cup matches had a 10 minute break built in after the third set. Everybody was happy about that.
Did or still do? It wasn't optional, though, right?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

DC now is best of three. I don't know if they have the break after the second set, as I really no longer follow that competition.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I think Davis Cup had a built-in break just to clean the debris off the court that the fans would throw onto it. :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:54 pm I think Davis Cup had a built-in break just to clean the debris off the court that the fans would throw onto it. :lol:
And so fans could tune up their vuvuzelas.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

A 500 event this time. Nice. All of these have been at Kamau's tennis center. But no player list for a tournament that starts in 2.5 weeks? Is that normal?
ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:28 pm