With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Will be a good gauge of where he stands, in terms of popularity. I hope somebody here will write down a 500 words summary.
Nah, 200.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:04 pm Will be a good gauge of where he stands, in terms of popularity. I hope somebody here will write down a 500 words summary.
Nah, 200.
Will also be a good gauge to see where he stands in terms of sanity/evidence-based views vs some of the things that have come out of his and his wife's mouth and keyboard.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:54 pm ...

Will also be a good gauge to see where he stands in terms of sanity/evidence-based views vs some of the things that have come out of his and his wife's mouth and keyboard.
It will depend on the director/producer combo:
Oliver Stone/Roland Emerich/Michael Bay: looney movie
Ridley Scott/Dennis Villeneuve: fun, but fictional
Michael Moore: he gets sandblasted

As you say, we will see :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is not hype. The girl is in the QF's of the USO, and she is only 18.
But: SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Emma is going to be huge.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Indeed, but money and fame damages some people and not others. We'll see very soon how it is with Raducanu.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. Right now, we are having a big example of somebody that is not handling it too well.
But if this girl can, and if she can deliver a Slam in the next few years, the U.K. will go nuts. I hope it will be the second case.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:04 pm Will be a good gauge of where he stands, in terms of popularity. I hope somebody here will write down a 500 words summary.
Nah, 200.
Here's my early review:

It's crap. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

All photos by SCOTT TRINDLE for British Vogue
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:41 am
Nah, 200.
Here's my early review:

It's crap. :gorgeous:
As one of the few Nole fans here (and only of his tennis, FYI) I' volunteer to watch. If it's just a fluff promotion piece, I'll let y'all know. I don't see a lot of movies because in general I think most of them aren't good, so I promise to be even handed. And I will let you know at what times in the video I rolled my eyes. There will probably be a lot of eye rolls. :)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, since every time I open my mouth about Novak I sort of stir a little storm (and it seems I never learn), I will add that I will not see it because I NEVER WATCH MOVIES ABOUT TENNIS. I rather watch a tennis match than watch anything fictional, even if based on reality. I did learn my lesson after watching PLAYERS (you really don't want to watch that) and I even stayed away from WIMBLEDON (a hard proposition for me as Kirsten Dunst was in it). I did not see the one about BJK/Bobby Riggs and I will certainly will always find something better to do than watch "King Richard".
So, just to let the Novak fans know: I hope it is good, and I hope you will enjoy it.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm Ok, since every time I open my mouth about Novak I sort of stir a little storm (and it seems I never learn), I will add that I will not see it because I NEVER WATCH MOVIES ABOUT TENNIS. I rather watch a tennis match than watch anything fictional, even if based on reality. I did learn my lesson after watching PLAYERS (you really don't want to watch that) and I even stayed away from WIMBLEDON (a hard proposition for me as Kirsten Dunst was in it). I did not see the one about BJK/Bobby Riggs and I will certainly will always find something better to do than watch "King Richard".
So, just to let the Novak fans know: I hope it is good, and I hope you will enjoy it.
You are totally right. Movies that feature tennis players never ever get it right. Remember in Players, the scene where Vilas (who wins Wimbledon in the moive!!!) is practicing on grass courts in a heavy rain? Wow, he was really dedicated. :) (It might have been the Van Patten character who was doing that. It was a looooong time ago.) There was also one by Woddy Allen that featured a tennis pro who you could see did NOT hit a tennis ball like a pro. Hey, we could have watch parties and make snarky comments about how bad they are. Interestingly, some friends who aren't into tennis saw the Woody Allen movie and hadn't noticed anything about the guy's tennis, so I think that non-tennis people don't see all the tennis-related flaws in these movies.

Ponchi, did you see the Fed-Nadal Wimbledon movie? I don't remember the name now and am too lazy to look it up? Anyway, I'm actually expecting the Novak movie to be a thinly disguised self-promotion piece. Yuck. :( But I'll take one for the team and watch it.

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It was Van Patten in the rain, in PLAYERS. Training in a downpour, ON GRASS, with white balls. And, because the movie is so old, with wooden racquets strung with gut. Yep, sounds about right.
The Woddy Allen film was MATCH POINT. I saw a few scenes (I forget why I was putting up with that) and as you say, they can never find a double that can play the slightest bit. It freaks me out totally.

About how bad they are? PLAYERS. Vilas wins Wimbledon, in a titanic 5th setter, surrounded by a cheesy love story (remember, it is Ali McGraw :o ) that had a soundtrack by Frank Purcell (or something like that). Basically, Alex strapped to the chair, his eyes open by tiny claps, forced to watch Nazi films while being given some mind altering drug. That is how bad that film is.