With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Osaka's issues are not trivial. Without them, she would win a few more slams; she is too young and too talented not to. But she has to get her peace of mind back. A player that says that when she wins she feels "relief" is mentally nowhere near the place where she can win slams.
Mugu and Kvitova. Maybe, at best, one more. They simply are being overtaken by the younger ones.
Halep, Kerber and Azarenka: Don't see them winning again. Could be wrong, and very wrong, but they have made very little noise lately (Kerber a bit).
Swiatek, Raducanu. Way too young not to win again. Raducanu specially. We talked about it after the USO. No teenager winner has been blanked for the rest of her career. Bianca: if she can stay healthy, sure. But that is a big if.
Sabalenka is too young and has too much power not to win one. If she doesn't, I will be surprised.
Your B group. Hard to disagree.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

From the group of older players I think Muguruza has the best shot to win again simply because she's the youngest of them. One could of course cite Serena or Roger, but it's still true that vast majority of players fade at age 30-32. Garbine is the only one not there yet.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm From the group of older players I think Muguruza has the best shot to win again simply because she's the youngest of them. One could of course cite Serena or Roger, but it's still true that vast majority of players fade at age 30-32. Garbine is the only one not there yet.
I thought Kerber had a good chance at Wimbledon this year. You just never know when someone's trajectory will take a turn, based on their coaching situation, motivation level, injuries, some luck... so many factors. But if I had to bet, I'd say Kvitova, Muguruza, and Kerber will not win another Slam.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

3mlm wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm How did Cornet get on that list? Never made it past 4th Round at a major or won a WTA1000. Would put Stephens and maybe Pavlyuchenkova in that last category over Cornet and Brady.

(You're also missing ostapenko)
Stephens and Ostapenko should both be in the B+ list and agree that Pavlyuchenkova, and perhaps Fernandez or Tauson, in the last category over Cornet and Brady.
yes, I have missed several people, Pavlyuchenkova, Sloane, Madison, Fernandez .. thanks for the comments, agree with them

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Her mobility was never in doubt, after that USO run ;) . Still, I need to find some steps like that. Looks like a pretty good exercise.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 pm Her mobility was never in doubt, after that USO run ;) . Still, I need to find some steps like that. Looks like a pretty good exercise.
The work on the balance thingies is harder though.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

3mlm wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm How did Cornet get on that list? Never made it past 4th Round at a major or won a WTA1000. Would put Stephens and maybe Pavlyuchenkova in that last category over Cornet and Brady.

(You're also missing ostapenko)
Stephens and Ostapenko should both be in the B+ list and agree that Pavlyuchenkova, and perhaps Fernandez or Tauson, in the last category over Cornet and Brady.
good point about Cornet.. but she has beaten Serena three times! I dont know anyone else who has, other than Venus...I agree with the rest of your observations, of course, so easy to forget someone..!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Your post got me thinking. Indeed, how many people have beaten Serena three times that are NOT slam winners?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Some other examples - all former top ten players (Elena being almost .500 was surprising to me):

Jankovic 4-10
Petrova 3-7
Dementieva 5-7
Schynder 4-8
Testud 3-5

So I *think* Cornet may be the person with the lowest career high who's beaten Serena three times... maybe...
Last edited by ptmcmahon on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Translated from German by Google
"I was absolutely loyal to Dominic for six years - and then he doesn't even have the courage to tell me that we're no longer working together."

prnstnr
@prnstnr
Replying to
@ZahrerLukas
Ich bin ja immer sehr vorsichtig, Aussagen einer Einzelperson 1:1 für bare Münze zu nehmen.

Aber irgendwie gefallen mir diese ganzen Vorgänge nicht, die im Team Thiem in den letzten Monaten passieren.

Bin schon sehr gespannt, wie es bei DT laufen wird, sobald er fit ist.
I am always very cautious about taking statements from an individual 1: 1 at face value.

But somehow I don't like all of the processes that have happened in Team Thiem over the past few months.

I'm really excited to see how things will go at DT as soon as he's fit.

Retikulum
@Retikulum18
Replying to
@ZahrerLukas
Stell dir vor du bist Thiems Freundin und hast auf einmal einen Anruf von Blanco am Smartphone.Grimacing face
Imagine you are Thiem's girlfriend and suddenly you have a call from Blanco on your smartphone.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She should've been fined for this at the very least. Nobody told her to dump a real coach for a pretty boy.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This person proposed lineups for a WTA version of the Laver Cup.

Only hardcore tennis fans will know the proposed players on Team Europe.

As for the players proposed for Team World Brady? Kenin? Andeeescu who is probably placing frantic calls to Darren Cahill (who hopefully won't bite).
Kenin seems more interested in her new boyfriend than tennis right now. We all know Osaka's got issues.

Add Leylah-Annie and drop Brady?

The event would have to be held in Europe the way things are in the WTA right now.