TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 am Sorry, but I didn't understand Jazz or Ponchi's comments. Isn't this an appropriate place to talk about a tennis player? And is there a difference between Tennis Random Random and Tennis Players Random Random? TRR is supposed to be about tennis in general, I gather, and TPRR is supposed to be specifically about players?

Kevin
My comment about this two topics being doppelgangers is that they are very identical. Feel free to post as you wish. Sure, we appreciate that NFL comments (and example) go in the NFL forum, but other than very rough guidelines, as you wish.
I mean, when have the Collective Cartesian Mind of us TAT'ers ever detoured from one topic to another? ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Never forget that Tennis Channel is owned by Sinclair and discussing the mental health issues of athletes I think would be pretty low on their list of priorities, not the mention the folks who run tennis don't want their players admitting to anxiety related issues re their play.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am
dmforever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 am Sorry, but I didn't understand Jazz or Ponchi's comments. Isn't this an appropriate place to talk about a tennis player? And is there a difference between Tennis Random Random and Tennis Players Random Random? TRR is supposed to be about tennis in general, I gather, and TPRR is supposed to be specifically about players?

Kevin

This thread (TPRR) was intended to be more lighthearted about tennis players photos on/ off the court, social media, etc. But does it really matter?

Well on the old site, the deal was that many don't check this thread at all who are just interested in tennis. So real tennis discussions, not what someone wore to the Met Gala or that they are at the Ryder's Cup, was meant to go in Tennis Random. Maybe it's changed, but there were several who weren't a fan of this thread so the separation was a good one so they could keep up with regular tennis news.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:52 pm
It is part of Netflix's "Untold" series, five documentaries on mental health in sports, all produced by the same people for Netflix. Regardless, Shapiro is saying that if Fish and Roddick were open to a project like this, the Tennis Channel should be at least trying to get it, which he seems to believe they aren't. He would know. The larger point is that he thinks TC isn't serious about producing great content and looks pretty bad when hardcore tennis stuff winds up on other platforms. The Guillermo Vilas documentary is another example.

More on Untold: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/untol ... 234662631/

Really don't understand this criticism at all. This is what Netflix does. This is not what Tennis Channel does, they air live tennis and replay old matches. Their off-court stuff is filler at best in large part. The main reason these documentaries are well done is because they are on Netflix, who has the resources to produce good content.

I don't think Tennis Channel looks bad here at all, looks like they are staying in their lane. TC is not ESPN and acting like it is seems to be part of the problem. That anyone thinks the TC budget would mirror that of ESPN let alone Netflix must be fairly unaware of what they spend to produce content of the caliber that they do.

Also, the thinking that a tennis documentary should land on a tennis channel is very myopic thinking to me.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm

Kevin
My comment about this two topics being doppelgangers is that they are very identical. Feel free to post as you wish. Sure, we appreciate that NFL comments (and example) go in the NFL forum, but other than very rough guidelines, as you wish.
I mean, when have the Collective Cartesian Mind of us TAT'ers ever detoured from one topic to another? ;)
I think you can blame me. When you or someone asked for input on the board, I asked for a place primarily for tennis player photos and gossip. so I didn't have to weed through other tennis stuff for the good stuff. That's when Tennis Players Random, Random cropped up.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And that is fine. Nobody is blaming anybody, or at least, I am not. This is not a corporate board. In theory, I run the place and at times I post stuff in a forum not designated for that. Just take a look at my hijacking the RANDOM RANDOM topic ;)
For this group, a bit of anarchy is almost mandatory :D
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't see how a topic named 'Random, Random' can possibly be 'hijacked'. :)
The title itself indicates that anything goes...

If people wish to more obviously differentiate this topic (Tennis Players Random, Random) from the topic 'Tennis Random, Random', perhaps this topic can be re-named?
And/or perhaps another topic to include ONLY PHOTOS of tennis players (on/off court) - and comments about same could be created (titled 'Tennis Player Photos', for example).

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to add a 'Tennis Player Photos' topic. That way, we'd have 'Tennis Random, Random' for general discussions about tennis, 'Tennis Players Random, Random' for discussions about specific players (any players), and 'Tennis Player Photos' for photos of players and comments about the photos.
Off Topic
I've never understood the inclusion of the word 'Random' in the topic titles, let alone including it twice! :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Ribbons United States of America

Post by Ribbons »

Misa Krajicek showed up in my Twitter feed tonight (she was thinking of throwing away old trophies), so I surfed around a bit to what else she's up to now. She seems to be very happy with Jelle Sels (a Dutch player in the 300s) -- the pics on her Instagram include her breastfeeding their child -- and raising money for charity through her paintings.

Post by JazzNU »

Zarina Diyas playing in her home country's tournament this week. Went to a hockey game, was interviewed, was given a custom jersey. There's video if you scroll through. Just good to see and remember, someone who the tennis world doesn't focus on that often is probably pretty well known in their home country if they've remained in the top 100 rankings for a longer period of time.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

When I was in Uzbekistan I was surprised at how popular tennis is. Ended up that the dictator at the time was a tennis fan and he made tennis Uzbekistan's OFFICIAL sport (soccer and boxing are more popular). I suspect that Khazakstan is about the same.
In Uzbekia, Istomin was huge. And I forget the unpronounceable name of the player in the WTA, but she was also very well known as she was also ethnic Uzbek, to the bone.
So, as JazzNu says. These players can live very well back home and are usually adored. Big fish in a little pond works well.

Post by JazzNU »

Yes, I'm sure that is also part of Zarina being more well known in Kazakhstan, she's one of the few, possibly the only, tennis player in recent years who is actually Kazakh, not Russian. The Russian players that represent the country more often than not, they can make you forget the ethnic differences between Russians and Kazakhs.

Post by JazzNU »

Andrey Rublev was named the GQ Russia Man of the Year. Nastia in attendance as well.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If you zoom on the pictures, that Tiffany contract has kicked in in full gear. She must be wearing $100K in diamonds, easily.
She looks pretty.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Belinda in Chicago

Naomi with a friend