With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 pm ...

I think he doesn't see the point in comparisons. His energy would be better spent ignoring this stuff if he doesn't like it. It's a normal part of spectator sports.

I didn't want to like him or this story, but I do, both. I like his candor, which doesn't come with a giant side of cluelessness. Although the harsh words about criticism, and his distaste for it, are quite ironic. One thing that's unsaid is that journalists don't get much time with these athletes. Very little access. So it's not all their fault that they aren't finding other stories and angles.

Wish they should have unpacked his friendship with Venus a lot more.

Why is it so surprising to discover an athlete is aware of and appreciates culture? That kind of gawking is lame to me.
Lendl was into collecting art. Wojtek Fibak too.
I like Reilly. I believe he is a bit off key about the media, but hey, minor detail.
Same, for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Just a random question. What do y'all think will be the last year that one of the Big Three will win a slam? Was it this year? Will it be 2022? 2023? I'm just curious what people think. :)

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 pm Just a random question. What do y'all think will be the last year that one of the Big Three will win a slam? Was it this year? Will it be 2022? 2023? I'm just curious what people think. :)

Kevin
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:26 pm 2021

:) We assume Novak will win more, but it's not a given. They have made it look easy, but it won't get easier. If he doesn't go to Australia because of the vaccine, you just don't know how that will disrupt things. He was in deep trouble against Tsitsipas in the French final this year, and that's when he was on a mission. It will be really interesting to see where his mind is next year.

Odds are 2023, I think. Djokovic will have a good chance of winning as along as he's playing. I think he'll retire before his game falls off that much. I think he'll lose motivation after he wins one or two more. He'll keep trying until then.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm
dmforever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 pm Just a random question. What do y'all think will be the last year that one of the Big Three will win a slam? Was it this year? Will it be 2022? 2023? I'm just curious what people think. :)

Kevin

:) We assume Novak will win more, but it's not a given. They have made it look easy, but it won't get easier. If he doesn't go to Australia because of the vaccine, you just don't know how that will disrupt things. He was in deep trouble against Tsitsipas in the French final this year, and that's when he was on a mission. It will be really interesting to see where his mind is next year.

Odds are 2023, I think. Djokovic will have a good chance of winning as along as he's playing. I think he'll retire before his game falls off that much. I think he'll lose motivation after he wins one or two more. He'll keep trying until then.
I'm confused. Do you think it's 2021 or 2023? I totally hear you about Novak. When he falls off, he falls off. I actually don't think he'll win Australia even if he goes. I think that his best chance now is at Wimbledon. What about Rafa at RG next year?

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Kevin

I'm confused. Do you think it's 2021 or 2023? I totally hear you about Novak. When he falls off, he falls off. I actually don't think he'll win Australia even if he goes. I think that his best chance now is at Wimbledon. What about Rafa at RG next year?

Kevin
My real answer is 2023. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was 2021! If Rafa is healthy enough to enter RG next year, he'll be my pick to win. I think he is just as motivated to get 21 as Novak is. Who knows what the Golden Slam quest took out of Novak. We have yet to learn! It will be an interesting story line for the first half of 2022. Bold of you to pick against Novak for Aussie 2022, if he plays. Why do you think he won't win? He was won convincingly the last few years. Well maybe not so convincingly against Thiem.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:51 pm
dmforever wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Kevin
My real answer is 2023. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was 2021! If Rafa is healthy enough to enter RG next year, he'll be my pick to win. I think he is just as motivated to get 21 as Novak is. Who knows what the Golden Slam quest took out of Novak. We have yet to learn! It will be an interesting story line for the first half of 2022. Bold of you to pick against Novak for Aussie 2022, if he plays. Why do you think he won't win? He was won convincingly the last few years. Well maybe not so convincingly against Thiem.
Both times that he had amazing streaks, he fell off, and he fell off big time. And as you said, he's not getting younger, and the "young" guys are getting better. And also as you hinted at, I think that 2021 took a lot out of him. I don't think he'll play again this year, and that includes the year end championships. I don't see him beating Medvedev on hard courts again, and I'm not sure he could beat 3 good players in a row on hard courts anymore. He could win Australia if Medvedev, Tsitsipas and (blech) Zverev (and maybe Thiem) all lost early, but I think it's more likely that that won't happen.

Kevin
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm wondering if there is a specific thread for discussing availability of tennis results on the Internet. Or this is the place for generic stuff?

ATP site usually posts the results more or less reliable, but with Istanbul-II they dropped the ball (( The link on their site points again to the results of Istabul-I, which was in January...
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 pm I'm wondering if there is a specific thread for discussing availability of tennis results on the Internet. Or this is the place for generic stuff?

ATP site usually posts the results more or less reliable, but with Istanbul-II they dropped the ball (( The link on their site points again to the results of Istabul-I, which was in January...
I have often wondered the same thing. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I always use this site for scores. It has up to the second scores for women's and men's, singles and doubles, regular tour and challenger events too. It's awesome.

www.flashscore.com/tennis

I think it might be a betting website, but I don't use it for that. ;)

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 pm I'm wondering if there is a specific thread for discussing availability of tennis results on the Internet. Or this is the place for generic stuff?

For some reason both tours don't seem to be that invested in making it easy to find current results.There was a time, and not that long ago, that both tours sent out regular emails with results and orders of play. I forget which tour stopped first. The situation now is as you describe it Mick. Unless you follow a bunch of tennis related accounts on Twitter (I don't know about IG) you would have no idea what is going on, and most of those accounts don't regularly post results, not even the tournament related accounts. The websites are run by a bunch of preschoolers and neither tour seems to care. Gambling sites seem to be the best place and not everyone wants to use those.

Our sport is the worst when it comes to basic information. Even if someone here wanted to regularly post results it would be very hard to do.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:33 pm

For some reason both tours don't seem to be that invested in making it easy to find current results.There was a time, and not that long ago, that both tours sent out regular emails with results and orders of play. I forget which tour stopped first. The situation now is as you describe it Mick. Unless you follow a bunch of tennis related accounts on Twitter (I don't know about IG) you would have no idea what is going on, and most of those accounts don't regularly post results, not even the tournament related accounts. The websites are run by a bunch of preschoolers and neither tour seems to care. Gambling sites seem to be the best place and not everyone wants to use those.

Our sport is the worst when it comes to basic information. Even if someone here wanted to regularly post results it would be very hard to do.
I have additional problem in that I'm not just looking them up, but importing to my database (for weighted ranking purpose).
Therefore I need it in some format, where I can create a parser. I'm no genius and can only do so much, therefore if it is a picture or some complex hypertext - it is too complicated for me. The best period was when ITF posted the results. They still do, but only for futures and below - and the presentation in the form of a draw is very convoluted. Until recently I was using SteveGTennis site. But something happened - they are not updating the results on the mens side for several weeks already. Hence I have to use ATP site.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This topic is fine, Mick. :)
---0---
I say the last Slam winner of the big 3 will be Novak, in 2023. He fell short of the USO this year but that one has been his second most difficult slam (if you say RG is #1, a strange call as that has simply been monopolized by Rafa) but the rest of the year was solid.
BTW. He of course had a great year. But he has won 4 tournaments, 3 of then Slams. It is not the same as the years in which Roger won 3 slam, but there was no pressure to win the Grand Slam because he was denied RG.
I say Novak has still two more in him. Rafa, one more RG.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Djokovic will never win another Major because he'll never get vaccinated, and from 2022 going forward, all officially sanctioned ATP and WTA events, as well as the 4 Majors, will require that all players are up to date on their vaccinations against COVID-19.

Nice thought, isn't it? :D

Oh... and Nadal will win another 2 Roland Garros.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 pm

I have additional problem in that I'm not just looking them up, but importing to my database (for weighted ranking purpose).
Therefore I need it in some format, where I can create a parser. I'm no genius and can only do so much, therefore if it is a picture or some complex hypertext - it is too complicated for me. The best period was when ITF posted the results. They still do, but only for futures and below - and the presentation in the form of a draw is very convoluted. Until recently I was using SteveGTennis site. But something happened - they are not updating the results on the mens side for several weeks already. Hence I have to use ATP site.
I like the following site for weekly tournament draws & results.
https://www.coretennis.net/
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

TAT.com (version 1.0) used to have a link to this website https://www.livescore.in/tennis/ , which contains scores of ongoing matches. It is what I use.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Do we know for sure they stopped and not that we're off the mailing list? I stopped getting them when our TAT1.0 email addresses went dead.

I always use www.livescore.com, have been for probably 15 years!