With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Good to see that both Ons and Annet can joke about it. They are certainly doing it the right way.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As I've said before... if I were to construct a female tennis player from scratch, it would pretty much be Ons Jabeur.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:52 am Good to see that both Ons and Annet can joke about it. They are certainly doing it the right way.
Yeah, love that. Adults...

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:09 pm Except Barty nobody yet.
Pretty good chance Ons will get in as an alternate. Is it for sure Kontaveit will even go? She said she is exhausted. If I had to guess who would withdraw, based on no actual information, I'd go with Pliskova and Muguruza.

The field is:
Sabalenka
Krejickova
Pliskova
Sakkari
Swiatek
Muguruza
Badosa
Kontaveit
Alternatives: Jabeur, Osaka, Pavs... but if they don't all go, Mertens and Gauff will be there for doubles, presumably, so they could be alternates, right? Mertens is #15 and Gauff is #17.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Of course Kontaveit will go. In fact she's extra eager to do so.

There are no injury rumors as far as I know. I think it's likely everyone goes.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 pm Of course Kontaveit will go. In fact she's extra eager to do so.

I think at least one of the top 8 will stay home and start the off-season now. And another one will mistakenly go to Akron instead of Guadalajara.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 pm Of course Kontaveit will go. In fact she's extra eager to do so.

She did mention the fatigue issue, but then she gets a week off, and this is too prestigious. And, with that field, I like her chances as well as anybody else's.
In order of players I would like to win it, she stands at #2 (Mugu is 1). But it is like the rest of the WTA. Not one player that is not likeable.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm

She did mention the fatigue issue, but then she gets a week off, and this is too prestigious. And, with that field, I like her chances as well as anybody else's.
In order of players I would like to win it, she stands at #2 (Mugu is 1). But it is like the rest of the WTA. Not one player that is not likeable.
You're really a masochist, believing Mugu will win this. :) I'm a big Mugu fan, too - she's been my favorite player since 2015. But I hardly ever pick her to win. She's so inconsistent. I'm taking Sabalenka.

A week off isn't a lot when you're halfway around the world, and they have to be there a few days early for promotional stuff and adjust to the time zone and altitude. She'll probably go, but it also wouldn't surprise me if she can't get out of bed for a couple days.

Also, the site has some problems and I think some players will be discouraged by those. It has never hosted a tournament of this size, it's at high altitude, the event is hastily arranged... Marc Lucero is pretty pessimistic about it, which makes me think some players will be hesitant to go. It might be a factor in some players' decisions.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I said I would LIKE HER TO WIN IT. Never did I say she is a favorite to do so. I love Garbie, but I have learned my lesson: she is in the same category as Kvitova, who always can win the tournament, but seldom does. In the YEC topic I said that I would take Aryna at 13% chance. Nothing more.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:43 pm I said I would LIKE HER TO WIN IT. Never did I say she is a favorite to do so. I love Garbie, but I have learned my lesson: she is in the same category as Kvitova, who always can win the tournament, but seldom does. In the YEC topic I said that I would take Aryna at 13% chance. Nothing more.
Ah... I misread. Yes, I'd like Mugu to win, then Ons (I think she will play), and woud love to see Kontaveit continue her hot streak, too. But I think she'll struggle with energy.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Thinking a bit more about it Muguruza is the only one who might decide to skip. Pliskova has always played and and done well when qualified and hard to see why it would be different this time. For everyone else it's the first time and no way they'd miss all the glory, money and ranking points. Of course baring a serious injury. Jabeur already disclosed that she's going as an alternate.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm

You're really a masochist, believing Mugu will win this. :) I'm a big Mugu fan, too - she's been my favorite player since 2015. But I hardly ever pick her to win. She's so inconsistent. I'm taking Sabalenka.

If you are seeking consistency, I'm not sure Aryna is your girl

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:37 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm

If you are seeking consistency, I'm not sure Aryna is your girl
Touche! But I think Sabalenka is far more consistent week in and week out, and even within a match - hence her ranking. She can self-destruct and lose because of the low margins she plays with, but I don't think she has the regular performance swings that Mugu does. She also doesn't get hurt as much. She might be rusty in Mexico, might come in refreshed... who knows.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I pick Aryna as the woman most likely to beat herself. Other than that I don't see anyone as a runaway favorite. I would LOVE to see Kontaveit win it but since she's literally stumbling in the door I worry about fatigue with her.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 pm I pick Aryna as the woman most likely to beat herself. Other than that I don't see anyone as a runaway favorite. I would LOVE to see Kontaveit win it but since she's literally stumbling in the door I worry about fatigue with her.
She always is. But still manages to win a lot. I'm curious if she is 100%. Could have lingering Covid issues, could have lost some conditioning, and any respiratory weakness could be a factor at high altitude.