With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm Thinking a bit more about it Muguruza is the only one who might decide to skip. Pliskova has always played and and done well when qualified and hard to see why it would be different this time. For everyone else it's the first time and no way they'd miss all the glory, money and ranking points. Of course baring a serious injury. Jabeur already disclosed that she's going as an alternate.
Very unlikely for Garbine to skip unless she's injured. She's been vocal about being excited Latin America is getting a chance to stage a big event and hopes it will happen more often in the future and that it will help with tennis development.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is...sobering

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Yikes!

Does unverified mean that it didn't come from an account known to be hers in this context?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I would guess it means it's unverified the screenshot is not real since she took it down.

I saw a Google translate on Twitter but it's very hard to follow, so would have to wait for a real translation. I hope she is somewhere safe.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:44 pm I would guess it means it's unverified the screenshot is not real since she took it down.

I saw a Google translate on Twitter but it's very hard to follow, so would have to wait for a real translation. I hope she is somewhere safe.
So do I.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

‘I’ll Tell the Truth About You’: China Silences Tennis Star Who Accused Ex Party Official of Sexual Assault
Beijing has removed a post by tennis star Peng Shuai accusing former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexually assaulting her before coercing her to continue a relationship with him.

Barbie Latza Nadeau
Correspondent-At-Large
Published Nov. 03, 2021 7:56AM ET

Allegations of sexual assault lobbed by tennis star Peng Shuai against a high-ranking official in the Chinese Communist Party have been removed from her social media by the Beijing government, Chinese feminist supporters say.

Peng alleged on China’s Weibo social media micro blog that former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli sexually assaulted her before she reluctantly agreed to continue an affair with him.

The post was taken down within minutes.

In what is being described as China’s first #MeToo public accusation against a high-ranking official in the Communist Party, state censors are now scrubbing any reference to the allegation on China’s social media platforms, but not before a screenshot started making the rounds, The Washington Post reports.

Now even searches for Peng’s name and the word for “tennis” are blocked on the social-media platform, and her account appears to have been frozen, meaning no one can post messages of support. Peng, who is 35, is said to have agreed to an affair with Zhang, who is in his mid-seventies, according to the since-removed post in which she described how she had been invited to Zhang’s house to play tennis with him and his wife three years ago.

After the match, Peng wrote that Zhang pressured her to have sex. “I never consented that afternoon, crying all the time,” she wrote. She then said she reluctantly agreed to have an affair with him, but that he insisted on keeping it a secret. When he canceled an appointment to discuss the matter on Tuesday, she posted her grievance online. “I know I can’t say it all clearly, and that there’s no use in saying it,” she wrote. “But I still want to say it.”

Peng was the No. 1 ranked doubles tennis player in China in 2014 and won Wimbledon in 2013 and the French Open in 2014 with her tennis partner Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan. Zhang served as vice premier from 2013 to 2018.

Supporters of China’s stifled feminist movement lauded the tennis star for coming forward with the accusation. Allegations of sexual misconduct are rare in China with many of the accusers punished for coming forward or have faced charges of slander by the accused.

“I know that for someone of your eminence, Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, you’ve said that you’re not afraid,” Peng wrote in the deleted post, according to The New York Times. “But even if it’s just me, like an egg hitting a rock, or a moth to the flame, courting self-destruction, I’ll tell the truth about you.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/peng-shua ... es&via=rss
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

She is extremely brave. It's infuriating, to say the least. Poor thing. She hasn't played since the pandemic shutdown - has she officially retired?
ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:51 pm ‘I’ll Tell the Truth About You’: China Silences Tennis Star Who Accused Ex Party Official of Sexual Assault
Beijing has removed a post by tennis star Peng Shuai accusing former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexually assaulting her before coercing her to continue a relationship with him.

Barbie Latza Nadeau
Correspondent-At-Large
Published Nov. 03, 2021 7:56AM ET

Allegations of sexual assault lobbed by tennis star Peng Shuai against a high-ranking official in the Chinese Communist Party have been removed from her social media by the Beijing government, Chinese feminist supporters say.

Peng alleged on China’s Weibo social media micro blog that former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli sexually assaulted her before she reluctantly agreed to continue an affair with him.

The post was taken down within minutes.

In what is being described as China’s first #MeToo public accusation against a high-ranking official in the Communist Party, state censors are now scrubbing any reference to the allegation on China’s social media platforms, but not before a screenshot started making the rounds, The Washington Post reports.

Now even searches for Peng’s name and the word for “tennis” are blocked on the social-media platform, and her account appears to have been frozen, meaning no one can post messages of support. Peng, who is 35, is said to have agreed to an affair with Zhang, who is in his mid-seventies, according to the since-removed post in which she described how she had been invited to Zhang’s house to play tennis with him and his wife three years ago.

After the match, Peng wrote that Zhang pressured her to have sex. “I never consented that afternoon, crying all the time,” she wrote. She then said she reluctantly agreed to have an affair with him, but that he insisted on keeping it a secret. When he canceled an appointment to discuss the matter on Tuesday, she posted her grievance online. “I know I can’t say it all clearly, and that there’s no use in saying it,” she wrote. “But I still want to say it.”

Peng was the No. 1 ranked doubles tennis player in China in 2014 and won Wimbledon in 2013 and the French Open in 2014 with her tennis partner Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan. Zhang served as vice premier from 2013 to 2018.

Supporters of China’s stifled feminist movement lauded the tennis star for coming forward with the accusation. Allegations of sexual misconduct are rare in China with many of the accusers punished for coming forward or have faced charges of slander by the accused.

“I know that for someone of your eminence, Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, you’ve said that you’re not afraid,” Peng wrote in the deleted post, according to The New York Times. “But even if it’s just me, like an egg hitting a rock, or a moth to the flame, courting self-destruction, I’ll tell the truth about you.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/peng-shua ... es&via=rss

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tennis is looking at its own Rodgers situation. I think Ms Ruhle is correct here re Rodgers.
Stephanie Ruhle
@SRuhle
It is a personal decision.
And if you decide not to be vaxxed, it is incumbent on you to remove yourself from risking harm to others.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

[
Reads peng shuai article...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:51 pm ‘I’ll Tell the Truth About You’: China Silences Tennis Star Who Accused Ex Party Official of Sexual Assault

Where is she now?
I hope she had the good sense to not be within China when she posted that.
If she is in China, she could be in serious danger.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Taylor Fritz could be at home driving an expensive car like Sam Querrey said a few years ago. Instead he's been spending a lot of tennis time in Europe and maybe it's starting to pay off for him. Not a fan -yet - but it's possible.

Post by JazzNU »

Coverage of him has been real interesting as I've said before. I'm not a fan, but I also don't mind him as much as many of the American players, and I can watch him play without issue.

I don't give him any credit for being a rich kid that is playing often. His path to professional tennis is still appreciably easier than most others and it's an incredibly expensive sport to pursue.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I do give him credit in the category "love for the game". The few times I have seen him play, I do believe he cares when he is on court. Most do, too, but as we are talking about him, just to point that out.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Fritz looks like the kind of guy who'd be really upset if his hair went out of place during a point, or one of his shoes got a smudge on it - and may call a medical time-out to fix the 'problem'.
He's probably not like that - but he looks like that type.. Kind of like if JFK Jr. was a pro tennis player.

A player who had a similar 'aura' was Vince Van Patten.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 am Fritz looks like the kind of guy who'd be really upset if his hair went out of place during a point, or one of his shoes got a smudge on it - and may call a medical time-out to fix the 'problem'.
He's probably not like that - but he looks like that type.. Kind of like if JFK Jr. was a pro tennis player.

A player who had a similar 'aura' was Vince Van Patten.

aristocratic, spoiled, blue-blooded

You're right, he's probably not.