With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ptmcmahon »

Not sure I like the flow of this conversation :)
:steven:
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 am Not sure I like the flow of this conversation :)
Some days are heavy, some days are light.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

The funny thing, I am very worried about a few years from now when my youngest is ... "old enough." I will be in a house with four females - not sure if it would be better if all four alternate (and then someone always on their period) or if some of them double up and I just have a bad week or two :D
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

PT women who share space often sync up and get their periods at the same time. #justsoyouknow.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

"Sorry honey, looks like I have to go into the office every day this week! See you in seven days" :D
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote:
ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 am Not sure I like the flow of this conversation :)
Some days are heavy, some days are light.
Now we’re just padding the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:14 pm Huh? What's going to happen to the male reporter? Will a period monster appear if he says "menstruation" 3 times? :D Being afraid to ask something inappropriate because "I'm a man, I don't understand periods. EWWW" is a poor excuse for not doing 10 minutes of Google research or speaking to a female friend or relative.
^ While some males are surely 'grossed out' by the thought of female menstruation, I don't think that's the case with the majority of males. I think it's more common for males to be afraid of offending females if they mention anything regarding their menstruation.
ti-amie wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:07 pm I think that women, especially athletes, downplay the role their menstrual cycles play in their training and performance because it opens the door to the dismissive "female problems" catch all phrase men use when women are a bit off professionally.

I have to agree that it would be very difficult for a man to raise the question. It shouldn't be but there's no avoiding the problems that reporter would face.

Maybe Iga is young enough to not be aware of the code of silence re menstrual cycles and women athletes I don't know.
^ Yes, sometimes the youngsters are refreshing because they haven't yet learned (been socially brainwashed) into believing that certain normal occurrences are 'inappropriate' to talk about.
If only we could all remain young - at least in this context...
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 pm I think these things are less taboo with younger generations. Just one factor. I'm curious about cultural difference, too. Just as some cultures don't sexualize nudity like the US does, maybe some don't consider periods taboo.
^ I've been thinking about, reading about, and discussing, the sexualization of nudity lately. One analogy I read was that 'Nudity is to sexuality what the grape is to alcohol' - meaning that grapes are an essential ingredient of alcohol, just as nudity is an essential ingredient of sexuality (for the sake of argument, this is true almost all of the time :D)... but grapes also exist on their own, completely independent of alcohol, as a delicious, nutritious, and healthy food, just as nudity exists completely on its own, as a natural human state, completely independent of any sexuality.
After all, we don't automatically think of alcohol when we see grapes the same way that we seem to automatically think of sexuality when we encounter nudity.

It's really about recognizing and understanding context.
Some European countries can rather easily make the clear distinction between nudity and sexuality, realizing that nudity is certainly not inherently sexual. I feel that these countries have a much healthier view of both nudity and sexuality than we here in North America have.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm I don't even ask my wife about hers :D
Hence the four kids. :D
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Post of the week, so far, barely edging several by Megan. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

She really looks like aryna in that picture.

(For what it's worth, aryna is a dead ringer for one of our friends. Younger kid walked in last night and thought it was sakkari)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

The Shuai Peng is missing story is starting to pick up traction in the media--I'd seen articles on less credible news sites over the last week, but it's all over on mainstream media today
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Naomi also posted about it.
One wonders what can be done. China has done atrocities galore, and the world simply always turns its head. They are used to this and within the country, basically there are no news about this.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:31 pm Naomi also posted about it.
One wonders what can be done. China has done atrocities galore, and the world simply always turns its head. They are used to this and within the country, basically there are no news about this.
Does no one think it's possible that she is hiding and isn't even in China and is staying silent right now for a good reason? And might have her phone off so she can't be tracked? Wouldn't she know better than anyone the risk she was taking when she spoke out, and not have hung around like a sitting duck? Why do people expect to be able to reach her right now?

I'm really struggling with the scant news that has been reported. Steve Simon said he received assurances that she was alright. That means you believe it, not just that you technically received a dubious statement of assurance from someone you can't trust. (Like the email that the Chinese government is saying Peng sent to Simon, which might not even be true itself, and even if he did receive it, it's less than convincing.) And Clarey would have known to clarify that with Simon and wouldn't have been sloppy with those details. I assumed he had more and/or different information that Clarey chose not to publish, perhaps for her safety.

I know Simon said none of the WTA folks or players who know Peng have been able to reach her, but we can't draw conclusions from that.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would agree with that position, but this is the Chinese government. They are very good at tracking people. If she is in China, hiding is a good idea, but that can't go forever. If she is outside of China, then why the silence from her?
You are right; right now, all we have are hypothesis. But the alternatives are:
1. She is in China, and in the hands of the government. Bad outcome.
2. She is in China, and hiding from the government. The chances for a good outcome are slim.
3. She is not in China, and is hiding from the Chinese government. But hiding and not asking for assistance from the government of wherever she is not the best policy, because you can count on the Chinese government looking for her.

The options are not pleasant.