With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

I haven't listen to this. But given the example provided, just want to say, I'm sure tennis fans will listen to this and think it's startling and there must be change, and it makes a difference and has an effect on a player's development to go through this, etc., etc....And then come January those same fans will be talking about how Jessica Pegula pulled herself up the rankings with nothing but hard work and determination.

Last edited by JazzNU on Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I didn’t check YouTube. Thanks Jazz!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In terms of player income, I don't see where tennis is much different than any other sport - especially proportionally. It's just that in other sports - such as team sports -, there are clearer distinctions between the minor leagues and the highest level.
Even though player salaries are more or less guaranteed in team sports, players in the minor leagues of baseball, hockey, football, soccer, basketball, etc. are struggling, as well, are they not?
Sure, they don't have to pay for accommodations, etc. - but proportionally compared to the 'minor leagues' of tennis, I don't think there's much difference.

In tennis, you play better and get good results, you make more money. Therefore, your income is directly proportional to your success, or talent.
Seems fair enough to me.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is hardly the first time that America has made a celebrity out of someone's reprehensible behaviour.
In a country where 'celebrity' is valued more than anything else (with the possible exception of money and guns), this is par for the course.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Will we still be getting the head-in-the-sand John Isner fans who haven't seen enough evidence yet that he's hardcore MAGA, or will this finally be enough for them? Cause this ish has been crystal clear for years.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I wanted to give this one a bit more thought.
This kid (Rittenhouse), properly groomed, can become a very important figure in the USA. He can become the poster child for the 2nd amendment crowd: the kid that used his WMD in self defense, "proving" all their ideas correct. Given some time, he can become a representative and talk about that one day in which he "had to" exercise his American right to bear arms to protect himself.
Of course Martina is right, but she is the wrong vessel for that information. A gay, naturalized American is precisely what most of the crowd that likes Rittenhouse hates, so she is fueling him. Also, the kid has been totally defiant, showing no remorse whatsoever, which will earn him even more points for a long time. It must be stressed: he was acquitted. Right, wrong, a reflection of the American legal system, he was acquitted, which basically gives him a carte blanche to do all these shows and make any claim about guns.
Get ready, in 2040, for Senator Kyle Rittenhouse. A "Real" American.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:31 pm It must be stressed: he was acquitted. Right, wrong, a reflection of the American legal system, he was acquitted, which basically gives him a carte blanche to do all these shows and make any claim about guns.
No, it doesn't need to be stressed. How often is it stressed that OJ was acquitted?
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:27 am
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Will we still be getting the head-in-the-sand John Isner fans who haven't seen enough evidence yet that he's hardcore MAGA, or will this finally be enough for them? Cause this ish has been crystal clear for years.
Thanks for posting this. He can't retire fast enough for me. :( :( :(

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:29 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:31 pm It must be stressed: he was acquitted. Right, wrong, a reflection of the American legal system, he was acquitted, which basically gives him a carte blanche to do all these shows and make any claim about guns.
No, it doesn't need to be stressed. How often is it stressed that OJ was acquitted?
I do, JazzNu. On the few occasions that the case comes up, I make that point. OJ was acquitted. And this kid too.
It would bring us back to our conversation (you and I) about the legal American system.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

A slightly new twist...

Peng Shuai Denies Sexual Assault Allegations...
(Best to ignore the first video - of the reporter, and jump to reading the article.)

R.I.P. Amal...

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Here's an example of Peng Shuai's bad English:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Straight out of 1984. If you revise it and there are no documents or "memories" of the event, it never happened.
I do not want to say I am an expert in Chinese cultural phenomenon, but I have worked with them in both land and marine environments. Very difficult, as they are always kept aside from us, the clients. There is always one Chinese person that hold apparently no job, until you realize he is the party's man (party as in Government). He is the person to keep them all straight, and holds incredible power over everybody else. One word from him, and you are back in China, never to be allowed out again.
This reversal simply seems, to me, as more proof that everything she originally said was real.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:44 pm One word from him, and you are back in China, never to be allowed out again.
Important to remember what happens to one's family if you should fail to comply. Minimum they would restrict the movements of your closest friends & family, and maybe send them along to a reeducation centre, or prison, or just have them disappear all together.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Anyone watching Academy Life on Tennis Channel Plus, hosted by Alize Lim? Loving it. She goes to different top academies, does a training session (with Moya, for one), chats with the owner (Toni Nadal, Patrick M, Magnus Norman), talks to a player and tours the facility. There are fun cameos by former and current players - even Mary Pierce, hitting her famous front-facing tweener.

Lim's recent episode of Craig Shapiro's tennis podcast was great, too.