With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

The US commentators are talking about how players are "putting more shape on the ball".
What does that mean?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:28 am The US commentators are talking about how players are "putting more shape on the ball".
What does that mean?
THANK YOU for asking that question. They're the only ones doing that too. I noticed it during one of Keys matches and they never said what they meant.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:28 am The US commentators are talking about how players are "putting more shape on the ball".
What does that mean?
That means that they are hitting the ball a little higher over the net and usually a little more topspin, instead of just hard and flat.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

What does that mean?
"Shape on the ball" was the "easy power" of 2021, maybe a little earlier. Very fashionable phrase. Along with "so-and-so is asking questions" meaning posing challenges, which I can't stand.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, what I say. They have to sound "profound". "Knowledgeable".
I gather "hitting with more arc" is a bit too 90's for them.
Yes, I think the asking questions is also pretty dumb.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Speaking of commentating...
Here in Canada, we're getting what I believe to be the 'home' Australian broadcast of many of the matches - John Fitzgerald, Wally Masur, Brad Stine...
Brad Stine is very difficult for me to tolerate. Firstly, he never shuts up. He is the complete contrast to the old BBC broadcasts with John Barrett, who spoke only a few words, and only when necessary. Stine can't stop talking, throwing out one currently popular cliché after another, seemingly desperate to show everyone how much he 'knows'. It's ostentatious overanalytical overkill.
And his voice is extremely irritating - it's the typical Californian know-it-all voice. It sticks out like a sore thumb among the other Australian (and British, I believe) accents on the broadcasts.

I'm not a fan of Robbie Koenig, either - even though he gave me a ball (unsolicited) at a tournament several years ago when he was playing. I usually love the South African accent - but Robbie is another who has never been taught that silence is golden.
Stine is worse than Koenig, though.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:43 am
What does that mean?
"Shape on the ball" was the "easy power" of 2021, maybe a little earlier. Very fashionable phrase. Along with "so-and-so is asking questions" meaning posing challenges, which I can't stand.
Every job has its buzzwords. In the same way that "shape on the ball" makes y'all crazy, "cohort" makes me nuts. Can we not say "with topspin" and "students"?

;)

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

If you are sitting around thinking, "I finally kind of understand NFTs and like tennis, how should I waste my millions?..." Stan Wawrinka has a proposition for you:

https://ballmanproject.io/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How long before somebody coins "Scam Wawrinka"?
(Like two seconds ago, I just did).
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm If you are sitting around thinking, "I finally kind of understand NFTs and like tennis, how should I waste my millions?..." Stan Wawrinka has a proposition for you:

https://ballmanproject.io/
Stan wants to be called "Ballman" now? Sounds like a ball chaser.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Still catching up with who switched sponsors and who has gotten dropped. Not that it's all that surprising, but just now noticing that Danielle Collins was dropped by New Balance. It'll be interesting to see if she gets another clothing sponsor quickly after this run or if they'll need to see some changes before they make a commitment. If she wins, I'm sure it'll be a done deal, but if not, it could be interesting.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Iga Swiatek has reached the 4th round or better in five straight Slams. I think that counts as consistency in todays WTA.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 am Iga Swiatek has reached the 4th round or better in five straight Slams. I think that counts as consistency in todays WTA.
Very much. And I think she is making a very strong case that she will be a multi-slam winner. She is, at a minimum, getting better in all surfaces. I say three slams by the end of the career is not unthinkable.