With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Evert made 52 semifinals of the 56 grand slams she entered, which is the highest percentage of any player all time. So, I used it as the ultimate example of consistency.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:40 am Evert made 52 semifinals of the 56 grand slams she entered, which is the highest percentage of any player all time. So, I used it as the ultimate example of consistency.
Okay gotcha, that level of specificity is not something I would know. I know she's a great champion, know she was at the top for a very long time, but the majority of her dominance was before I was born and then obviously I was very young for the rest of her career. It would have to be something referenced regularly for me to know it, which it isn't. Which is a bit odd actually, why use Federer as an example when that's her record?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Because her record is 52/56 in semis, but Roger has the record for most consecutive finals. I was mixing data, indeed. Remember, Suliso was only saying that, in this day and age, Swiatek's streak is quite better than most of her contemporaries. For example, she is far more regular than Mugu, who can win the tournament and then lose in the first round the next.
It was only comparative. If the new crop if compared to the elders (Chrissie, Martina, Steffi, Serena), they are nowhere near that level of consistency.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 pm Because her record is 52/56 in semis, but Roger has the record for most consecutive finals. I was mixing data, indeed. Remember, Suliso was only saying that, in this day and age, Swiatek's streak is quite better than most of her contemporaries. For example, she is far more regular than Mugu, who can win the tournament and then lose in the first round the next.
It was only comparative. If the new crop if compared to the elders (Chrissie, Martina, Steffi, Serena), they are nowhere near that level of consistency.
Here at least, TV commentators mention Federer's semifinals streak much more often than his finals streak. So, so many times.

I'm not changing my mind on Swiatek, consistent is just not a word I'm willing to use to describe her in any way right now, and this morning's match obviously didn't help. No, she doesn't tend to lose in the first round, but like I said, cupcake draw in early rounds regularly at slams. She's been very lucky on that front so far.

And I'm just guessing that those that are willing to call her consistent, haven't watched her as often as I have. I have a really hard time believing you all wouldn't be where I am, unimpressed with getting to the 4th round of Wimbledon with a cupcake draw after struggling mightily to get by Heather Watson the week before and then falling like 2-6 0-6 in the final 2 sets of a 3 set match to Kasatakina in the following round.

And not for nothing, I don't recall almost anyone using the word consistent to describe Sloane Stephens at any point during her career, and she had a better run than this at making the 4th round at slams back to back to back. The talk about her on here was about her inconsistency outside of the Slams.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think we're making maybe too big a deal of my initial statement. :)

It's a low level consistency obviously and should not be in the same sentence as multi Slam winners past or present, but still better than a fair few fellow top 10 players. She indeed still has a lot of development to do to seriously challenge for GS titles off clay. I also predicted that she would lose to Collins.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:40 am Evert made 52 semifinals of the 56 grand slams she entered, which is the highest percentage of any player all time. So, I used it as the ultimate example of consistency.
That’s absolutely bonkers! I never knew that about her. Looks like I need to get on Google as she is clearly much greater than I ever give her credit for
Mary, queen of shots
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:45 pm
That’s absolutely bonkers! I never knew that about her. Looks like I need to get on Google as she is clearly much greater than I ever give her credit for
I'm trying to remember the non-semi losses without looking them up.
1. 3rd round to Kathy Jordan at W ?
2. Quarters against Zina Garrison at her last Slam, the USO
3. I think her loss to Arantxa at the FO was in the quarters, but I may be wrong.

I'm going to have to think about the last one. Yes, I was kind of a fan. :)

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote:
3. I think her loss to Arantxa at the FO was in the quarters, but I may be wrong.

Kevin
Impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:02 am
dmforever wrote:

Kevin
Impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but ask me what I had for breakfast and I'll be scratching my head for an hour. :) I have zero idea why I remember that stuff other than I was really into her career and Borg's, and she lasted longer. :)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:14 am ...

Yeah, but ask me what I had for breakfast and I'll be scratching my head for an hour. :) I have zero idea why I remember that stuff other than I was really into her career and Borg's, and she lasted longer. :)

Kevin
Welcome to the club! I can name every GS winner, male or female, from 1974 on, but then I can't find my glasses... idly sitting on top of my head.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

And now that I think about it, I don't think the FO Arantxa match was the quarters. I think it was earlier than that. I'd say 3rd round as a first guess, 4th round as a second guess.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:37 am
Well at least the glass is half full...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Barty has separated herself from the competition somewhat. Joins Osaka as the only other active player with more than two Slam titles (I choose not to count Serena and Venys anymore).

Also currently 8th longest time at #1 (covid frozen rankings excluded) and will be 7th in a few weeks.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:48 pm Barty has separated herself from the competition somewhat. Joins Osaka as the only other active player with more than two Slam titles (I choose not to count Serena and Venys anymore).

Also currently 8th longest time at #1 (covid frozen rankings excluded) and will be 7th in a few weeks.
Angelique Kerber would like a word.