With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:47 pm ...

I'm going to Spain next week. I'll keep an eye out for some - or something similar - and bring back a few to share if I can. I don't think anyone on this board lives in Spain, right?
I think Drop shot moved to Barcelona, but he has very much been absent from the board.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dave g wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm I'm surprised that this has not yet appeared on this site. https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/ ... 24220.html

The highest ranking umpire got suspended to 12 moths. The article isn't very specific about the actual cause, but there seems to be some room to read between the lines.
It had not appeared in this site because the news came out this morning ;)
Interesting read, but seems kind of obscure. I read it and it is not clear what the offenses were.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:39 pm
dave g wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm I'm surprised that this has not yet appeared on this site. https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/ ... 24220.html

The highest ranking umpire got suspended to 12 moths. The article isn't very specific about the actual cause, but there seems to be some room to read between the lines.
It had not appeared in this site because the news came out this morning ;)
Interesting read, but seems kind of obscure. I read it and it is not clear what the offenses were.
I just skimmed and it sounded like sexual harassment/inappropriate behavior. I expected to recognize the umpire's name. Not at all...
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

“The complaint was that Soeren made inappropriate comments and invitations to an individual,”
It seems like sexual harassment to me.

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

How many do you recognize? I only got 9 for sure.
YYYNY
YNYYN
YNNYN
NNNNN
Recognize.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I got 14, but I'm a lot older than you. :) I should have gotten more.

Kevin
Last edited by dmforever on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

I only recognise 9, and of those 9 I only remember 7 names
Mary, queen of shots
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:33 pm I only recognise 9, and of those 9 I only remember 7 names
Do you want some hints? :)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:05 am
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:53 pm The shirt he's wearing sold out in less than an hour. I got the La Decima one but now I hope Nike will make another realease.

I haven't tried buying this way, but it is available now if willing to order from something other than the US Nike site.

The Nike site is likely to autocorrect to the US if your browser allows it to recognize the location. Have to look in Incognito and when asked, say it's in GB and shows as being in stock. Nowhere to be found if you look on the regular US site, will get a product no longer available sign still if you go to the site.

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/rafa-winner-t ... DQ9153-010

Also available thru his academy's store, the easiest way it would seem to me to order, doesn't require jumping thru hoops. Only $2 more expensive and if you order 2 (or get something else and checkout with over 50 Euros), shipping is free to the US.

https://shop.rafanadalacademy.com/en/me ... rand-slams
I ordered from his academy site and got one for my daughter as well.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:39 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:33 pm I only recognise 9, and of those 9 I only remember 7 names
Do you want some hints? :)
I would take some. Of the ones I don't know for sure, I think I'm close on first row, fourth spot. French?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I can confidently name 3. Fairly certain I can name a 4th and 5th if allowed 3 chances to guess each. Although for one, I think I can get it on the 1st try, but he looks so young (and honestly, better), it's hard for me to have any faith in getting it on the first try.

I couldn't get to 14 if I was given 100 tries, so older or not, well done Kevin.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Row 1 = the top
Y'all know the top 5 for sure. They have all won at least 1 slam. In row two, there is a very very famous American player. He has won multiple slams. He's just very young in that pic. In row 3 there is an equally famous American player, and he and another row 3 occupant do commentary for ESPN. Yes, there are two French players, on in row 1 and one in row 2. Row 5 has a GS finalist not from the Americas or Europe. Row 2 may have a Grand Slam champ from South America, but I'm not sure. Maybe not. Row 2 also has a European player with an Italian nickname that still gets thrown out every once in a while on ESPN when they reference big guys who move deceptively well.

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm I can confidently name 3. Fairly certain I can name a 4th and 5th if allowed 3 chances to guess each. Although for one, I think I can get it on the 1st try, but he looks so young (and honestly, better), it's hard for me to have any faith in getting it on the first try.

I couldn't get to 14 if I was given 100 tries, so older or not, well done Kevin.
You definitely know all 5 guys in the top row. They are just a lot younger than what you are used to seeing. :) And the second and third row each have a very famous American GS-winning player. Again, they are just very young.

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 pm
JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm I can confidently name 3. Fairly certain I can name a 4th and 5th if allowed 3 chances to guess each. Although for one, I think I can get it on the 1st try, but he looks so young (and honestly, better), it's hard for me to have any faith in getting it on the first try.

You definitely know all 5 guys in the top row. They are just a lot younger than what you are used to seeing. :) And the second and third row each have a very famous American GS-winning player. Again, they are just very young.

Kevin
Good hints. There are some names I feel like are here - like Nystrom, Kriek, Pernfors, Mayotte - but I can't figure out who they are. Is Nystrom in the third row, middle, with the blonde mullet? And Mayotte at the end of that row?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:11 pm How many do you recognize? I only got 9 for sure.
YYYNY
YNYYN
YNNYN
NNNNN

Recognize.jpeg
Without any hints, I got 14 for sure, I believe - probably 15, and possibly 16 if I got the bushy blonde right...
Here's what I got, if anyone wants to peek into the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower