Legal Random, Random

News and commentary on trials, the law, and expert opinions about legal systems
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Legal Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

More from Avenatti jury:

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

More details about what happened in the courtroom via @InnerCityPress

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:52 pm Re Avenatti jury deliberations:

It is not very early in the deliberations process for that kind of note, it means they've polled and there's a wide divide and no movement. And I can't begin to tell you how bad of a comparison Maxwell's trial is to use for anything that isn't damn near a capital offense.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Everyone's nightmare. This might be why the note was sent yesterday.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They have alternate jurors I would think? Get rid of her.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Hastily getting rid of a juror during deliberations is great grounds for mistrial or appeal. That's not how alternates are supposed to be used. Several more steps needed by the judge before that juror should be dismissed. AUSA knows that, they just think they are about to win if they get rid of that juror.

There's bias present here in the coverage obviously and maybe by the judge a bit too, there doesn't seem to be a note about why the AUSA is so swift to want to get rid of the juror in the way that there is towards Avenatti wanting to keep them, for instance. And inserting the term "wryly".

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:16 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Hastily getting rid of a juror during deliberations is great grounds for mistrial or appeal. That's not how alternates are supposed to be used. Several more steps needed by the judge before that juror should be dismissed. AUSA knows that, they just think they are about to win if they get rid of that juror.

There's bias present here in the coverage obviously and maybe by the judge a bit too, there doesn't seem to be a note about why the AUSA is so swift to want to get rid of the juror in the way that there is towards Avenatti wanting to keep them, for instance. And inserting the term "wryly".
Thank you for the explanation as to why this obstructive juror hasn't been immediately removed. I've served on cases where alternates were dismissed at the beginning of deliberations so maybe that 's why I was a bit confused about the situation. Those may have been civil cases though. It's been a while.

I don't quite understand your point re bias. Bias against Avenatti or bias against prosecutors?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:59 pm
This just goes to show jury rooms are not for the faint of heart.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:44 pm
Thank you for the explanation as to why this obstructive juror hasn't been immediately removed. I've served on cases where alternates were dismissed at the beginning of deliberations so maybe that 's why I was a bit confused about the situation. Those may have been civil cases though. It's been a while.

I don't quite understand your point re bias. Bias against Avenatti or bias against prosecutors?
This doesn't sound like an obstructive juror, not yet at least. Calling a woman emotional is about the worst way I can think of to bring up the issue of her not deliberating. Her not agreeing with them so they can go home now and not keep this going isn't a reason to replace a juror. There needs to be a reason for the move, essentially, good cause for the change, something that will stand up to appeal. You dismiss a juror based on that note and the appeal paperwork would be filed by end of day today. It's a very rash decision to just boot a juror because they don't agree with you, that's the point of the jury, if there's one holdout, that might speak to the veracity of the evidence not clearing the hurdle of beyond a reasonable doubt.

Yes, it may have been civil cases, but also, just may not have been federal. There are clear rules and decent case law on how you are supposed to dismiss a federal juror to hold up on appeal. Hastily is not the way.

Honestly, I'd advocate for a closed court on matters like this. The public does not need to know that it was a woman. The reporters will pounce. There are some very sexist comments already about her.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TBH I was surprised the sex of the juror was revealed. I've never served on a Federal jury and I would guess that the rules are different.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »