With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JTContinental United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by JTContinental »

I doubt anyone would skip the chance at today's prize money at the AO no matter when they held it. The tennis establishment hates change, though, so I doubt a move would ever happen.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Notice that the sole significant change in the calendar, in the last ... two decades?... has been the extension of the grass court season, adding one single week of two more tournaments.
Other than that, maybe the women cutting down a bit on their season. So, sure. No way the Aussie is moving much.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:35 pm
Nice company
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Too bad we will have to wait until the fall to see if she can pass Jana, Justin and Lindsay. It looks doable.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

atlpam wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:35 pm
Nice company
It's interesting that Henin's streak was over a 3-year period. And assuming that she played 4 or 5 rounds at that tournament, it means she didn't play a ton of other indoor tournaments. Maybe 1 more each year?

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:40 am
It's interesting that Henin's streak was over a 3-year period. And assuming that she played 4 or 5 rounds at that tournament, it means she didn't play a ton of other indoor tournaments. Maybe 1 more each year?

Kevin
That's encompassing that period when she announced that sudden retirement and then made a comeback, remember? So that first year of the streak will be her last full season on tour before the first retirement, likely one or two of the fall tournaments plus the WTA Finals and then the end of the streak is going to be part of when she was doing her comeback.

Arguably, her streak could've been longer than the 22 if it wasn't broken up by her first retirement.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Daria Kasatkina hits an ace on match point (because I did not want to use another sport's metaphor):
"We all see how Djokovic wants people to like him but it doesn't work. Because in the end, it always feels like something is wrong."
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Now Djoko has said in a bbc interview that will sit out the majors if vaccination is required...atleast he is being consistent!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

It actually means less than it seems..France and UK will be open anyway by then, only the US remains, and even they might . Djokovic can afford to wait and maintain his image of steadfastness
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I wrote this before. Countries will be open but most likely for vaccinated people. And maybe both tours will start some DBase of who is vaccinated with what vaccine.
I will use Colombia as an example. Yes, it is open, but you have to be vaccinated to come in. The Colombian Tennis Federation told players that the rule is simple: even at Futures level, all players have to be vaccinated, WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.
Sure, we don't have any sort of anti-vaxx movement, which helps us, but I still wonder how Europe will handle non-vaccinated foreigners.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

And this plus likable things like that ^^ are why I'm convinced no one is cheering on the likes of Felix, Andrey, and Sinner to contend consistently at majors more than those in charge at the ATP because doesn't this look much more appealing to the public than Malcontent Medvedev, Bathroom Break Tsitsipas, and Allegedly Abusive Alexander.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well. You have to admit that Felix, Rublev and Sinner make way less news that the top three new guys, which is how, at least I, like it. The sole news they make are tennis related. So, less to talk about, but more to root for.
My position, only that.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's quite sad that a gesture like that from Felix surprises the hell out of everyone and is regarded today as "a great gesture of sportsmanship". It shows how low the standard for decency is.

Don't get me wrong - Felix did a good thing, and it's good to show it. But the fact that the announcers (among others) were talking about it as if he just ran into a burning building to save an 85 year old woman in a wheelchair is a sad reflection of society's standards today. In a healthy society (general society, or sporting society, etc.), things like this are normal and expected - and it is when these things DON'T occur that it is surprising.

All that said, Felix has always been a genuinely respectful, class act - even when he was a kid.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower