With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Some of the Tweets from earlier today regarding the incident.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Woody

Post by Woody »

It is difficult to put into words... so I had my publicist do it. I'll believe this is his own sentiment when I see video of him saying it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He will not be suspended. Let's remember the ATP's record on that.
1. Mac was defaulted from a match at the Aussie open IN 1990 (if I remember well), and a decade of terrorizing umpires. He was not suspended.
2. Kyrgios infamous words to Wawrinka led to a "suspended suspension". That was it. Certainly not as violent in the physical sense of the actions by Zverev, but that was a very low point, especially the comments about Donna.
3. Shapovalov's unfortunate hit of the umpire mean disqualification of the match, nothing more (agree, he truly looked like he did not mean to do that).
4. Novax at the USO '20. No need to dig that corpse up.

They never get suspended. It is not in the ATP's "manual" and they don't have, as the Mexican writer in one tweet above says, "los huevos" for that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:15 pm He will not be suspended. Let's remember the ATP's record on that.
1. Mac was defaulted from a match at the Aussie open IN 1990 (if I remember well), and a decade of terrorizing umpires. He was not suspended.
2. Kyrgios infamous words to Wawrinka led to a "suspended suspension". That was it. Certainly not as violent in the physical sense of the actions by Zverev, but that was a very low point, especially the comments about Donna.
3. Shapovalov's unfortunate hit of the umpire mean disqualification of the match, nothing more (agree, he truly looked like he did not mean to do that).

They never get suspended. It is not in the ATP's "manual" and they don't have, as the Mexican writer in one tweet above says, "los huevos" for that.
Both Shapo and Novak were unintentional. They were accidents. They both deserved their punishments, but Zverev showed much more disregard for the umpire's safety by intentionally swinging close to him more than once. He knew what he was doing. As for Kyrgios, that wasn't physical, so I think it's apples to oranges.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree, Kyrgios incident was not physical. But my point is that that was the occasion which was the closest to a suspension, and then they suspended the suspension.
I remember we made some fun out of that at TAT1.0. (the suspended suspension, not Kyrgios behavior)
Shapo's and Novax' were clear, indeed.
Another thing that was odd. He (Zverev) went berserk over a doubles match? What was the point?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Anyone remember if Pliskova was punished for attacking the umpires chair?
Last edited by Liamvalid on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:58 pm Agree, Kyrgios incident was not physical. But my point is that that was the occasion which was the closest to a suspension, and then they suspended the suspension.
I remember we made some fun out of that at TAT1.0. (the suspended suspension, not Kyrgios behavior)
Shapo's and Novax' were clear, indeed.
Another thing that was odd. He (Zverev) went berserk over a doubles match? What was the point?
Yeah, I actually don't know why he was so upset in the first place. I haven't read about his complaints or issue with the umpire, if he thought the ump missed calls on big points or what. Hard to understand what led to this. But ultimately irrelevant.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:15 pm He will not be suspended. Let's remember the ATP's record on that.

If they don't suspend him and he does actually physically harm someone, I wonder if the linespeople and/or chair umpire would have a case against the ATP on grounds of unsafe working conditions. Maybe they already have that case now, though I guess it would depend on Mexican law, in this case.

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Paulo Sousa
@pstriathlon
Replying to
@josemorgado
When he targeted the umpire's legs and not just the chair is when I realized that he 100% hit his girlfriend
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Just FYI, the pilling down of video is not because of what happened, but who is posting it and how. I posted video of it in the other thread even though someone already posted a YT video of it for this very reason. The ATP is FANATICAL about who is allowed to post videos of their content. They have gotten to a place where they do allow people to post gifs of a lot of stuff after going scorched earth on some prolific Twitter users a few years ago that used to do it regularly, but they do not do that with video content.

It's just not how they operate. And why I posted the video from an account that is one of their partners, not a random user. If that video comes down, then you know ATP is trying to cover it up completely.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Kyrgios was also not suspended following the incident in Rome with the default and angrily throwing a chair onto the court. Just fines, thought heavier fines than normal for this incident. It wasn't until the back to back incidents in Washington and Cincy of that year (not defaulted from either match though he should've been for both) that the ATP finally gave a very light suspension.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Any suspension of Zverev would have to include either Indian Wells, or Miami, so it's absolutely not going to happen.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You mean they won't make a decision until the tour moves to Europe for their spring clay season?