Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Why he threaded the two posts is beyond me but here we are.
The threading going on has been ridiculous. I've skipped posting now over a dozen things I've seen in the last week because of them having little relation to one another either than somehow related to this war in a broader sense.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Still not buying their gas, but good for them, quite a shock.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And now I think a nuclear reactor has been hit?

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:49 am And now I think a nuclear reactor has been hit?

Post by JazzNU »

Beware or hyperbole where the nuclear reactor is concerned. There's a lot of it. Here is a helpful mini-thread.

Mark Nelson's Twitter bio (which I've verified as accurate, this is the field he works in) - All energy all the time. Saving nuclear plants: Radiant Energy Fund. Energy & strategy: Radiant Energy Group. Prev: @envprogress @cambridge_eng
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Is there anything more typically American than this?
I don't know whether to laugh, to applaud, or to cry...

NASCAR's Childress to Donate Ammunition to Ukraine...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It seems, to this political paranoid, that Vlad is almost daring the west to get involved in the conflict.
"I will murder these people. Come stop me".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There will be so many consequences from this war. On the less important, but more personal side the company I work for will be impacted seriously because we used to work a lot with partners from both countries and for some things alternatives are difficult to find. Maybe in China, but it will take some time to organize.

A bit more importantly there will be a serious crunch in availability of space flights for satellite launches. With Russia and Ukraine out pretty much the only company with any meaningful extra capacity is Elon Musk's Spacex. ULA is very expensive plus all launches are booked till 2025. Ariane has no big rockets right now and all other providers have very small rockets or can launch 2-3 per year max. Not counting Chinese which Western companies can't use anyway.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:23 am There will be so many consequences from this war. On the less important, but more personal side the company I work for will be impacted seriously because we used to work a lot with partners from both countries and for some things alternatives are difficult to find. Maybe in China, but it will take some time to organize.
I think China is going to be the one winner in all of this. Besides the impact of sanctions turning global companies towards them, the Russian market is going to be a lot more attractive to them since they offer cheap things and there is no better alternative.

For example, Russian car manufacturing is pretty much halted because of all the global companies that have production in Russia pulling out + Russian manufacturers won't have access to parts (lots of them use parts from European companies) + no demand for pricier vehicles due to the economic crisis. Great opening for China to overtake that market.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:44 pm For example, Russian car manufacturing is pretty much halted because of all the global companies that have production in Russia pulling out + Russian manufacturers won't have access to parts (lots of them use parts from European companies) + no demand for pricier vehicles due to the economic crisis. Great opening for China to overtake that market.
Or for everyone to go back to driving Ladas...

But generally you're right, most often it will be Chinese companies benefiting. Maybe a bit also elsewhere in Eastern Europe, but the scale is not the same.

We'd happily collaborate with Middle Eastern or South American chemical companies, but they simply don't exist beyond some basic generic manufacturing.