With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by meganfernandez »

So...if I understand correctly, he's not really suspended after all if he can keep his temper under wraps.
Deuce wrote:"As a result, Zverev has been issued an additional fine of US$25,000 and a suspension for a period of eight weeks from any ATP-sanctioned event."
The remainder of their text shows the above to be blatantly untrue. He has not been suspended at all. He has been merely threatened with a possible suspension.
Yes, he is on probation for a year. It's a joke. Everyone should let the ATP know how they feel about it. What are the odds that he keeps his cool for a whole year? I think there's a great chance he could end up suspended. Especially if the umpires have it out for him. The next time he forgets to say "good morning" - unsportsmanlike conduct.

Post by meganfernandez »

https://www.itftennis.com/en/news-and-m ... islavskyi/

Article on the world's oldest tennis player, 97-year-old Leonid Stanislavskyi, who lives in Ukraine (Kharkiv) and won't evacuate. He lived through WW2. Sorry if it was posted elsewhere.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I saw a video from his recent DC match in Brazil. Apparently people were chanting the name of his former girlfriend who made the accusations of domestic abuse against him as a way to get under his skin. In the press conference, he said that it hurt him because it wasn't right for them to bring people HE LOVES into it. That comment just turned my stomach.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/4835330/z ... davis-cup/

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

Guessing this was announced earlier and they gave her the trophy this week for WTA Coach of the Year.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dmforever wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:35 pm I saw a video from his recent DC match in Brazil. Apparently people were chanting the name of his former girlfriend who made the accusations of domestic abuse against him as a way to get under his skin. In the press conference, he said that it hurt him because it wasn't right for them to bring people HE LOVES into it. That comment just turned my stomach.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/4835330/z ... davis-cup/

Kevin
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am ...

Yes, he is on probation for a year. It's a joke. Everyone should let the ATP know how they feel about it. What are the odds that he keeps his cool for a whole year? I think there's a great chance he could end up suspended. Especially if the umpires have it out for him. The next time he forgets to say "good morning" - unsportsmanlike conduct.
The precedent was set with the Kyrgios issue years ago. You do something terrible on court and you get the suspended suspension.
And we thought that Kyrgios would not be able to remain quiet for 6 months, but he did. I don't think Zverev is THAT dumb to violate this probation
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:30 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am ...

The precedent was set with the Kyrgios issue years ago. You do something terrible on court and you get the suspended suspension.
And we thought that Kyrgios would not be able to remain quiet for 6 months, but he did. I don't think Zverev is THAT dumb to violate this probation
He'll have to keep his temper under control in the heat of the moment... we'll see.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He should have been suspended when the incident happened.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:

He should have been suspended when the incident happened.
There are rules for what can be done on site. Then there’s probably a discipline committee that reviews incidents afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He does not get to set his own penalty. They gave him this, and at least, he is not pretending that it was somebody else's fault (Nalbandian at Queens).
Ok, sure he should have been suspended for at least IW/MIA. But he is saying the right things.
(And yes, even if it is his PR firm saying it. When they say the wrong thing, we "know" it came from them. When they say the "right" thing, it was their agents. That way, players can't win).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

On a good note (for me). Both the ATP and WTA have added ribbons to their website logos with the Ukrainian flag's colors.
NBA, NFL, NHL or MLB don't have anything (not that they should).
:clap: :clap: :clap: tennis
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:43 am On a good note (for me). Both the ATP and WTA have added ribbons to their website logos with the Ukrainian flag's colors.
NBA, NFL, NHL or MLB don't have anything (not that they should).
:clap: :clap: :clap: tennis
I mean, I doubt the 5-10 NFL and MLB fans in Ukraine have these leagues' response as top of mind at the moment

The NBA and NHL would be more meaningful since they have Ukrainian players.

But at some point, putting a Ukrainian flag next to your logo is just virtue signaling. I'd like to know what they are doing to raise funds or volunteers for the war in Ukraine but also other ongoing humanitarian crises.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Had anyone here noticed he's been boycotting France?

Post by meganfernandez »

No, and I had forgotten about the bad call against Shapo in 2020. Maybe a French fan or Canadian would have noticed.
ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:06 pm Had anyone here noticed he's been boycotting France?

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:08 am No, and I had forgotten about the bad call against Shapo in 2020. Maybe a French fan or Canadian would have noticed.
Not this Canadian.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower