With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:08 pm
Having seen it now, I agree it should have been a default. It didn't take an unusual or unexpected bounce in the direction of the ballperson - Brooksby threw it right toward him. Momentary lapse of 'spacial awareness'? Perhaps - he didn't seem to be deliberately targeting the ballperson. But it was reckless negligence.
Just as Kyrgios should not have been permitted to play in Miami after his post-match racquet throw in Indian Wells came close to hitting a ballkid, Brooksby should have been defaulted here for this.

I have no problem with players throwing - or smashing - their racquets. Anyone who plays the game knows that anger and frustration can build up, and needs to be released. But when racquets are thrown, or balls are hit, in the direction of human beings, that crosses the line.

(The ballperson in the Brooksby incident is a man who looks to be in his 40s. I would have loved to see him throw the racquet right back at Brooksby.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

From a current article about the Miami Open on the WTA website:
"Earlier this month, Leylah Fernandez won her first WTA title, in Monterrey, Mexico. She’s only 19 herself, but the Canadian has already achieved a Grand Slam singles final (the 2021 US Open) and is ranked No.22."

Monterrey a few weeks ago was Leylah's SECOND WTA title, of course - with the first one being... MONTERREY, one year ago.
How could the author not know this? It's not like her first title was a little known tournament in the middle of nowhere - it was the same tournament he references, one year earlier.

Megan - I TOLD YOU TO TAKE THE JOB, DAMNIT!!!

The Leylah error is buried in the middle of this article...
https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2548927/ ... uff-s-rise

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Regarding Brooksby, players should stop throwing rackets. You lose control of it when it leaves your hand. Smash it, maybe. Throw, toss, fling, chuck, launch, hurl - no. Brooksby didn't even seem to check on or apologize to the ballperson. Walked over and got the racket and that was it.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Default, plain and simple. It should not be up to the chair umpire to see what kind of contact the racket made. That's not the point. If they made this a hard and fast rule, the umpire could just say it's the rule and they wouldn't have to worry about interpretation.

Does anyone know what the actual rule is?

And the dude didn't even apologize, as Megan said. And, the ball person even picked up his racket and handed it to him. F*%&^ that.

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Brooksby should've been defaulted. Tumaini is a credentialed reporter and covers the tennis beat. Tennis reporters always tow the company line.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Tennis Random, Random

Post by meganfernandez »

Did someone post this one yet of Jordan Thompson terrorizing a ball girl today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As I said - throwing a racquet or hitting a ball in the direction of another human being - be it a ball person, an official, a fan, or an opponent - should be an immediate default - no questions asked.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If. You. Hit. ANYBODY. on. court. with. ANYTHING: YOU GET DEFAULTED.
Ben is right. When you start handing out suspended suspensions, you no longer have any control.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 am Brooksby should've been defaulted. Tumaini is a credentialed reporter and covers the tennis beat. Tennis reporters always tow the company line.
Hmmm? Tumaini is saying he should've been defaulted, so... not the company line

(I'd also disagree with the statement in principle)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was referring to the part about him being a young player etc, etc. That seemed like a caveat to me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:57 am I was referring to the part about him being a young player etc, etc. That seemed like a caveat to me.
I thought he was making the same point Ben was - if Zverev gets away with it, then younger players will emulate
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Do ball people have a union? I know they aren't paid, so I guess not, but they really should just all not show up at the Miami Open tomorrow. All of them. Just call in sick. What would happen? I guess they'd get fired. :)

Kevin
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yeah they wouldn't get a free front row seat to the matches... although the job hazards are making that seem not as great lately.
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by meganfernandez »

He has played 2 tournaments this year and been fined at both. Let's see about Miami.
ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:29 pm