With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes, sure. But tell me: how on Earth can you NOT compare him with Rafa? Spanish, plays a very physical game, rather polite and low key, even plays with the same racquet.
And no offense to either player to be compared with each other. They are as admirable as can be.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Roddick remembers all the "Baby Fed" hoopla around Dimitrov and maybe thinks that hurt him psychologically.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:58 pm I think Roddick remembers all the "Baby Fed" hoopla around Dimitrov and maybe thinks that hurt him psychologically.
I think Roddick wants to get his name in the media.
He's been quite present in the media over the past couple of weeks.
I, myself, prefer it when he's unheard and unseen.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I saw this thread on another forum and thought we could talk about it here. I'm not good when it comes to a lot of technical issues but even I got this. I wonder if this is behind Naomi's talking about studying the ATP game, specifically Rafa's comes from.

ATP Style players : Barty, Swiatek, Kasatkina, Jabeur, Badosa, Sakkari, Muchova, Suarez Navarro
ATP Style : short backswing (racket stays on the right side of the body) , more top spin, easier to replicate

WTA Style players : Collins, Bencic, Osaka, Pegula, Stephens, Kvitova, Venus, Azarenka, Kerber
WTA Style : Long backswing (racket goes beyond the body) , flatter ball trajectory, requires excellent timing

Hybrid : Halep, Andreescu, Serena, Sabalenka, Krecjikova

Is the women's game going to transition to an ATP/Hybrid style of play? Are upcoming WTA players learning the wrong techniques? Will all WTA players be able to handle an ATP/Hybrid style of play?

Shout out to @aaron for putting this out there!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 am
ATP Style players : Barty, Swiatek, Kasatkina, Jabeur, Badosa, Sakkari, Muchova, Suarez Navarro
ATP Style : short backswing (racket stays on the right side of the body) , more top spin, easier to replicate

WTA Style players : Collins, Bencic, Osaka, Pegula, Stephens, Kvitova, Venus, Azarenka, Kerber
WTA Style : Long backswing (racket goes beyond the body) , flatter ball trajectory, requires excellent timing

Hybrid : Halep, Andreescu, Serena, Sabalenka, Krecjikova

Is the women's game going to transition to an ATP/Hybrid style of play? Are upcoming WTA players learning the wrong techniques? Will all WTA players be able to handle an ATP/Hybrid style of play?
Style, or technique, is entirely player dependent. It's an individual thing. There is no universal 'right' or universal 'wrong'.
The right technique is the one that feels natural and works for the individual person.
The wrong technique is the one that doesn't work for the individual person.

I'm happy to see that Leylah is not on any of the lists above. This is because she developed her own personal technique - and didn't allow anyone to screw it up by telling her how she's 'supposed' to hit the ball.
She was told several times that her technique is all wrong, etc. Apparently she ignored that.
Again - whatever feels natural and works is right. It doesn't matter what it looks like, or if it fits into a nice, pre-defined box, etc.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Almost all ATP players bring their racquet head ABOVE their head before contact. So I think that the Stosur sequence is incorrectly labeled.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Apropos of nothing, the slapper is ranked 630 in the world in juniors even though he's the #1 seed at this event, the lowest-level junior tournament. He's probably not someone we're going to see on the tour in a few years.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

WTF? Not even low, but totally cowardly. Shake hands and then slap your opponent, who can't do anything because you are in a handshake.
Whichever organization is in charge of that tournament/level has to suspend this kid for the rest of the year, at a minimum.
And Patrick is right. The younger players see that nothing is ever done and then it spills all over.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Wow. And he just put his hands up after as if to say "I didn't do anything". He should definitely be suspended and PMac's point is very well taken.

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:45 pm WTF? Not even low, but totally cowardly. Shake hands and then slap your opponent, who can't do anything because you are in a handshake.
Whichever organization is in charge of that tournament/level has to suspend this kid for the rest of the year, at a minimum.
It used to be the sport of gentlemen. Used to be.
Don't you think maybe stuff like this happened before but there just weren't cell phones around to capture it? I don't think human behavior has changed all that much. But yes, they need to suspend him ASAP.

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:49 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:45 pm WTF? Not even low, but totally cowardly. Shake hands and then slap your opponent, who can't do anything because you are in a handshake.
It used to be the sport of gentlemen. Used to be.
Don't you think maybe stuff like this happened before but there just weren't cell phones around to capture it? I don't think human behavior has changed all that much. But yes, they need to suspend him ASAP.

Kevin
Yes, for sure. And Ponchi, it's an ITF juniors tournament. Surely there will be a suspension.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:42 am Almost all ATP players bring their racquet head ABOVE their head before contact. So I think that the Stosur sequence is incorrectly labeled.
Would you consider Stosur hybrid then?

I think for women it may come down to what they want to do physically. I was surprised to see CSN on the ATP list but thinking about it she is on the right list.

No matter what your approach though you need a brain to go along with it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

A longer video (abt 27 minutes) with side by side and overlapping comparisons from 2015.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would say that a FH is a FH. Men have plenty of different ways of hitting one. Rafa's FH is nowhere near Medvedev's, which is nowhere near Novax, and on and on. So I don't expect there to be anything like a "WTA FH" or an "ATP FH".
The beauty of the sport. Nowadays you can play anyway you want, as long as it lands in.
And deep.