With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
dmforever

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by dmforever »

Has Chris Eubanks retired or is he just doing commentary part time? He has a great screen presence and I really enjoyed his commentary. I hope for his sake his playing days aren't over, but if so, I'd be super happy if he gets into commentary.

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

Sharapova’s pregnant. We know what the childbirth will sound like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:34 am Sharapova’s pregnant. We know what the childbirth will sound like.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Can't top that but: she won't have to announce it, right?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Congratulations to her and her partner. I guess it's the same guy she was with at the Met Gala?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Not sure where to put this, and not sure if it's actually true. The article says that W is going to ban Russian players.

https://tennisuptodate.com/atp/breaking ... YYBQhQ2zjo

This is super unfair. People are not necessarily in agreement with their governments. I hope this turns out not to be true, or they rethink it.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I've seen that ^ from several sources today, so it seems to be legitimate.
However, I don't think any conclusive decision has been made.

Of course this 'guilt by association' approach is ridiculous, and it would be very wrong to thus punish people simply due to their nationality. Doing so is no different a stereotype than is any other sort of nationality or racially based bias or prejudice, which the majority condemn.

But Wimbledon is played in the same nation which just announced its plans to send refugees to Rwanda... so, from that perspective, it's not really surprising...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

If I were managing a Russian player, I'd counsel them to apply for citizenship in the country they really live in. Many are long time residents of Florida. Nationalism gets you nowhere. I'm not entirely opposed to banning Russian/Belarusian/unvaccinated players 18 years and older. Most in the top 100 have the means to move. If they feel solidarity with a dictator-like leader more than they want to play tennis, that's on them.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

You can feel patriotic and proud of your country without feeling solidarity with your leader. I don't think any American players were counselled to apply for citizienship elsewhere when Trump was president :) (Or for the Isner types now with Biden president.)
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:59 am If I were managing a Russian player, I'd counsel them to apply for citizenship in the country they really live in. Many are long time residents of Florida. Nationalism gets you nowhere. I'm not entirely opposed to banning Russian/Belarusian/unvaccinated players 18 years and older. Most in the top 100 have the means to move. If they feel solidarity with a dictator-like leader more than they want to play tennis, that's on them.
Might be a conversation worth having. But there's still a risk factor. They (and their families) would still be "reachable" even if they aren't citizens or living in Russia. And it's a big deal to renounce your country and give up a passport. I feel for any Russian or Belarussian payer in that situation. I'm sure there are many things they love about their country. As much as I hate what's happening in the US these days and where it might be going, I would have to think long and hard about giving up my citizenship. These players are also relatively young. It would be a hard decision for me as a mature middle-aged person.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 pm You can feel patriotic and proud of your country without feeling solidarity with your leader. I don't think any American players were counselled to apply for citizienship elsewhere when Trump was president :) (Or for the Isner types now with Biden president.)
Had Trump invaded Canada claiming a Nazi problem there, I’d get behind American athletes to be banned as well.

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

The NY Times reported that Wimbledon plans to bar both Russian and Belarusian players.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Here is the statement from the LTA.
On behalf of the All England Club and the Committee of Management of The Championships, we wish to express our ongoing support for all those impacted by the conflict in Ukraine during these shocking and distressing times.

We share in the universal condemnation of Russia’s illegal actions and have carefully considered the situation in the context of our duties to the players, to our community and to the broader UK public as a British sporting institution. We have also taken into account guidance set out by the UK Government specifically in relation to sporting bodies and events.

Given the profile of The Championships in the United Kingdom and around the world, it is our responsibility to play our part in the widespread efforts of Government, industry, sporting and creative institutions to limit Russia’s global influence through the strongest means possible.

In the circumstances of such unjustified and unprecedented military aggression, it would be unacceptable for the Russian regime to derive any benefits from the involvement of Russian or Belarusian players with The Championships.

It is therefore our intention, with deep regret, to decline entries from Russian and Belarusian players to The Championships 2022.

Ian Hewitt, Chairman of the All England Club, commented: “We recognise that this is hard on the individuals affected, and it is with sadness that they will suffer for the actions of the leaders of the Russian regime.

"We have very carefully considered the alternative measures that might be taken within the UK Government guidance but, given the high profile environment of The Championships, the importance of not allowing sport to be used to promote the Russian regime and our broader concerns for public and player (including family) safety, we do not believe it is viable to proceed on any other basis at The Championships.”

If circumstances change materially between now and June, we will consider and respond accordingly.

We also welcome the LTA’s decision in declining entries from Russian and Belarusian players to UK events to ensure that British tennis is delivering a consistent approach across the summer.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I would certainly think it highly unfair to be judged by what my government does..I am sure many Americans would not have supported the invasion of Iraq..should US players have been banned then? Surely not ..!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

UK has become the most anti Russia large country in Europe. Not sure I'm surprised about that or not...