With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

MIKE DICKSON: Boris Becker is charming, quirky, friendly but flawed... the same sense of infallibility which carried him to an amazing Wimbledon triumph has come back to bite him as tennis legend is jailed for 30 months
By MIKE DICKSON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 16:15 EDT, 29 April 2022 | UPDATED: 18:02 EDT, 29 April 2022

Boris Becker arrives with partner Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro for his sentencing at Southwark Crown Court in London on Friday

Boris Becker first soared to fame with his athletic dives around the lawns of Wimbledon. Thirty seven years on, and less than ten miles away, he came crashing down to earth.

Friday’s sentencing at Southwark was the culmination of a fall a long time in the making, one that has its roots in the events that took place on the Centre Court in 1985.

The same sense of infallibility that carried him to an extraordinary triumph at seventeen served him less well – to put it mildly – when it came to managing his business affairs in later life.

Not unlike Becker himself, the term Schadenfreude comes from Germany and has been adopted by the British. There was little evidence of it to be found within the confines of the tennis world as word of his demise began to circulate.

At the Madrid Open, there was an initial sense of shock. The jaw of Bulgarian star Grigor Dimitrov – in whose career Becker has taken a paternal interest – nearly dropped to the floor when I told him.

Back at Wimbledon there will be discussions about whether he can retain membership of the All England Club, whose tie he wore in learning his fate. That was conferred after winning the first of what were to be six Grand Slam titles (three at the AELTC) in a glittering career that saw him become the world’s number one player.

A court artist's sketch of Becker heading down to the cells after being sentenced, watched by his girlfriend Lilian and his son Noah

A better player than Roscoe Tanner, who reached the final in 1979, they now share the unwanted distinction of going to prison after gaining major prominence at SW19.

The inescapable fact is that Becker has done wrong, and it should be remembered that manipulating his finances in such a way is not a victimless crime.

Yet his decline is also accompanied by a sense of pathos, with almost Shakespearean feel to the plunging fortunes of a man who once strutted around tennis’s most famous arenas like he owned them.

My own association with him goes back, intermittently, over more than three decades. Our first real acquaintance came at a grass court event held on Merseyside where, unprompted, he announced he would be donating his prize money to the Hillsborough appeal.

Becker first soared to fame with his athletic dives around the lawns of Wimbledon

He is an easy person to like, in the experience of myself and many others in the game. Charming, somewhat quirky and with a magnetic presence when walking into a room. Friendly and, of course, flawed.

Becker is the product of extraordinary formative experiences which saw him propelled to superstardom at an age when his contemporaries were still at school.

He was a manchild when he first won Wimbledon at 17. When we looked back on the whole episode a couple of years ago at his Thames-side apartment he described as being ‘like the first man on Mars.’

It is hard to overstate the level of fame that that brought him in his homeland, where fans would camp outside hotels to catch a glimpse of their hero if he was playing in Germany. The level of scrutiny became such that at one point he took to walking around in a wig and glasses.

A confirmed anglophile, in Britain he reached the status of being recognisable by his first name, at least until the arrival of a certain Prime Minister. 'Occasionally I see a headline with Boris in it and wonder what have I been up to now?’ he joked.

The notoriety was only added to by a private life which is hardly done justice by the usual description of ‘colourful’.

It can be overlooked that everything sprung purely from his ability as a tennis player. Delivered following an odd rocking motion, he possessed a technically outstanding serve that combined power with accuracy, backed up by penetrating groundstrokes and an ability to smother the net.

His virtues were never more accentuated than on the quicker surfaces such as grass, and he was a catalyst in changing the way the game was played.

Latterly he has shown his technical knowledge in a spell coaching Novak Djokovic. At times that has been disguised by his occasionally eccentric commentary style with the BBC, but it is undoubtedly there.

It is hard not to think that the undiluted adulation experienced as young man has a link to what has transpired. Probably, too, the absence of self-doubt which is such an asset when competing at the most rarefied levels of sport.

There are those in tennis who have attempted to offer support and wise counsel in recent years. Among them was Ion Tiriac, the Romanian tycoon and entrepreneur who once managed him and has been contrastingly successful in a business context.

The German celebrates beating Kevin Curren enroute to winning the men's singles final at Wimbledon in 1985

Somewhere it all got lost. It is not to excuse what he has done in saying that the sorry outcome still carries with it a profound sense of melancholy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... onths.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wasn't sure where to put the Becker article. It ended up here because the first one was posted here before the name change. Ponch, if it should be moved please do so.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No need to move it, Ti.
---0---
Although I like the article, there are some things that are not factual.
His contemporaries and peers were also on tennis courts. Stefan Edberg, his most celebrated foe and of his same age, won the Aussie a few months after Becker won W. Sure, the Aussie carries a lot less prestige than Wimbledon, but he was not the sole child prodigy of that generation. A couple of years later, Steffi started making her impression on the game, certainly surpassing Becker in achievements. Graf never mismanaged her fortune; her father did.
Other child prodigies had also been around. Borg won his first RG at 17, Wilander too. While Borg was gone by the time Becker came around, Mats was still playing.
And Becker's crimes are of a different type than those of the truly unworthy of, perhaps not compassion, but a shrug. When the writer claims that they are not victimless, the victim is usually the Government, unable to collect taxes (until they do). It is a victim that is much harder to relate to than, for example, the people that Bernie Maddof scalped.
Still. To prison he must go. The penalty for being an European (were he a South American, you can bet he would never go anywhere but back to his mansion).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

In case anyone is interested...a player who I've never heard of was convicted of match fixing and has been banned for 16 years.

https://akipress.com/news:670641:Kyrgyz ... -year_ban/

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ Here's another article with more detail...
She's won some ITF level tournaments, and reached a ranking of 163.

The rules covering 'match fixing' are extremely broad, as you can see in this article.
Perhaps too broad?

Ksenia Palkina Banned From Tennis For Match Fixing...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

Townsend won a $100k ITF title coming off maternity leave. It’s her first title in three years.

Post by meganfernandez »

The rare instance when playing Djokovic was just what a player needed...

This is a look at Davidovich Fokina's last month or so through his eyes. He was burnt out, questioning what he wanted to do with his life (he says so, but I wonder if it was really that severe), and facing a rusty Djokovic helped turn around his confidence. It's also a good reminder that there's much more texture to a player's form, micro and macro, than we're ever aware of.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/davidov ... e-may-2022
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Some of you will recognize this guy...
It's Enric Molina, former Gold Badge chair umpire.

While I was watching the Bouzkova - Alexandrova match yesterday, his face appeared on my screen.
In Bouzkova's 'player's box'.
Seeing his face out of the usual context, I said to myself 'I know him... but from where?'
I found him on Bouzkova's website (listed as 'Manager' - she has some humorous titles for people in her 'team' - her dad is 'Boss').

It's odd to see a former fairly well known chair umpire now sitting in a player's box...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Interesting. Quick Google shows that he joined Tennium a few years ago as a partner. Sebastian Grosjean is a co-founder. So Bouzkova must be a Tennium player. It's like IMG, represents players and owns tournaments. Based in Barcelona.
Deuce wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 am Some of you will recognize this guy...
It's Enric Molina, former Gold Badge chair umpire.

While I was watching the Bouzkova - Alexandrova match yesterday, his face appeared on my screen.
In Bouzkova's 'player's box'.
Seeing his face out of the usual context, I said to myself 'I know him... but from where?'
I found him on Bouzkova's website (listed as 'Manager' - she has some humorous titles for people in her 'team' - her dad is 'Boss').

It's odd to see a former fairly well known chair umpire now sitting in a player's box...

Post by meganfernandez »

Kando is retiring... Is this the right thread? Feel free to move it.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Overall, an overachiever in my opinion. Two slam finals and many years close to the top. As he says, a very good tennis career.
I think he could be a good coach, specially teaching a serve. His was very fluid (with that height, a very good combo).
Hope he does well in whatever he starts now.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:16 pm Overall, an overachiever in my opinion. Two slam finals and many years close to the top. As he says, a very good tennis career.
I think he could be a good coach, specially teaching a serve. His was very fluid (with that height, a very good combo).
Hope he does well in whatever he starts now.

The most successful NCAA player on the ATP since McEnroe. I can't tell if he graduated- he was there for 3 seasons. Mal Washington, who spent two seasons at Michigan, made one Slam final but didn't achieve as high a ranking as Kando - he got to #11, Kando got to 5.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Him and Isner, although Isner has never made a Slam. But he has a MS1000. So indeed, two successful products of American Colleges.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I'm curious who y'all think will be the next first grand slam WTA and ATP winner and where it will happen.
I'm predicting Anisimova and Alcaraz at this year's French because, why not? ;)

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote:I'm curious who y'all think will be the next first grand slam WTA and ATP winner and where it will happen.
I'm predicting Anisimova and Alcaraz at this year's French because, why not? ;)

Kevin
Alcaraz is definitely the popular pick. I’m tempted to go with Tsitsipas but he hasn’t had a great year … and Alcaraz is in his head.

WTA, who knows??!! For fun I will say Jabeur at Wimbledon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk