With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, we said it here first.
TAT. Where people REALLY know their tennis.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is cold.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I can't help feeling that Simon would feel differently if he hadn't lost so badly.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:15 pm I was watching Poots vs Sloane and I really am not a fan of no lines people. Every sport needs a bit of uncertainty, of human error affecting the outcome of the contest. With the NFL it's measuring to see if a team got a first down or not. That sport, along with baseball and basketball, have kept the human factor in and the checking of a call only adds to the suspense. A machine calling lines, even with, for viewers at home, the line shot, just doesn't have the same feeling.

I guess I'm an old fogie.

There is truly some drama missing without the challenge system in place. I was okay with it in Cincy as almost a test case, but was very happy it was back at the US Open, and am very disappointed to see it now. For me, the Aussie Open is the place where of course we should have linespeople there. In this unmasked, mostly unconcerned covid crowd, we can't get linespeople? Makes me worry we're going in this direction and I think it's a lesser TV product without it. Also, pretty sure it'll be a lesser in-person experience. At the USO, everyone turns to the screens with anticipation to see the results and I'd assume it's the same at most events, it adds something to the experience.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

But the challenge system is just a few years old itself, hardly a tradition. Yes, sometimes it's exciting but it can also be a distraction from the match. I've always found it to be more entertaining for casual fans. Sometimes I find the crowd ooohs and ahhhs annoying. I do think the challenges added an interesting psychological element to watch (how players use them), but it's not a core part of a match to me.

As long as tennis players and chair umpires are still humans, the players will throw tantrums at chair umpires, so there's your human element.

(I haven't made my mind up about no line umpires, I guess I just found the challenges presentation is a bit gimmicky.)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 am This is cold.

No kidding. That old man isn't as old as Hsieh! ;)
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just to say. The umpires vs line calling systems should also go into the Techno Babble topic. Very much in par about how our interaction and integration with technology affects us. A long topic.
(Being discussed in a technological platform. Food for thought).

(Edited because I forgot one word)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm But the challenge system is just a few years old itself, hardly a tradition. Yes, sometimes it's exciting but it can also be a distraction from the match. I've always found it to be more entertaining for casual fans. Sometimes I find the crowd ooohs and ahhhs annoying. I do think the challenges added an interesting psychological element to watch (how players use them), but it's not a core part of a match to me.

As long as tennis players and chair umpires are still humans, the players will throw tantrums at chair umpires, so there's your human element.

(I haven't made my mind up about no line umpires, I guess I just found the challenges presentation is a bit gimmicky.)
Hawkeye has been around for 20 years now! :) Hard to believe. It's not a tradition like handshakes (errr...) or the coin flip, but it's definitely a staple of the modern professional game. I really like it - mostly for the increased fairness, but it also lets the players move on and not dwell on what they think are bad calls. As far as the entertainment value, I like knowing whether it was in or out and finding out if I was right (based on what I saw). The big complaint originally was that it would take too much time and slow down the game. I don't think it has.

As far as a fun part of the collective spectator experience in a stadium, I don't think it adds much. But it doesn't hurt.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Totally confused.
He reminds me of a good friend that is like that. The power of, let's say, mirrors. Pyramids. Food is divided in two groups: super powerful, all healing, perfect aliments or poison. Science is crap; the REAL science is not the one we see. THEY are hiding it from us.
We play tennis. He beats me always. He is a good person, but I find it so hard to understand.

Novak Djokovic. I believe he will end with the Slam record. And man, this is one guy I will not miss one bit, once he retires. And sure, future president of Serbia. Bet on it.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 am This is cold.

No kidding. That old man isn't as old as Hsieh! ;)
That made me chortle out loud. Thank you and YES YES YES!!!

Kevin
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

I support whatever measures it takes to stop that 4 corner arms thing Novak does. So dumb.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:52 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm But the challenge system is just a few years old itself, hardly a tradition. Yes, sometimes it's exciting but it can also be a distraction from the match. I've always found it to be more entertaining for casual fans. Sometimes I find the crowd ooohs and ahhhs annoying. I do think the challenges added an interesting psychological element to watch (how players use them), but it's not a core part of a match to me.

Hawkeye has been around for 20 years now! :) Hard to believe. It's not a tradition like handshakes (errr...) or the coin flip, but it's definitely a staple of the modern professional game. I really like it - mostly for the increased fairness, but it also lets the players move on and not dwell on what they think are bad calls. As far as the entertainment value, I like knowing whether it was in or out and finding out if I was right (based on what I saw). The big complaint originally was that it would take too much time and slow down the game. I don't think it has.

As far as a fun part of the collective spectator experience in a stadium, I don't think it adds much. But it doesn't hurt.
Hawkeye, yes. The Challenge System was first tried out on tour in 2006
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:42 pm Just to say. The umpires vs line calling systems should go into the Techno Babble topic. Very much in par about how our interaction and integration with technology affects us. A long topic.
(Being discussed in a technological platform. Food for thought).
No. It's a tennis topic.
It's in its proper place.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower