With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by ponchi101 »

Was Anett already #2? By now it is hard to remember, as that seat is the rotating one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:53 pm Was Anett already #2? By now it is hard to remember, as that seat is the rotating one.
No, #5 is her career high. She won't become #2 before USO if ever. Her clay game is rather weak (no outdoor clay finals).
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Only ONE slam title between the worlds top 8. That’s just nuts
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Liamvalid wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:33 pm Only ONE slam title between the worlds top 8. That’s just nuts
I wouldn't say that. Krejcikova is still there and with her removed it's a high chance the new RG winner will replace her.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm not seeing how we're getting to one. It's two. It's also not all that nuts when the statement becomes 5 slam titles among the top 8.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:26 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:33 pm Only ONE slam title between the worlds top 8. That’s just nuts
I wouldn't say that. Krejcikova is still there and with her removed it's a high chance the new RG winner will replace her.
Proof of how hard it is to even remember Krajcikova. I started counting and indeed skipped her.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Speaking of difficult to remember...
How about a couple of Roland Garros semi-finalists from the past two years - Zidansek and Podoroska...

In 2 years from now, if you ask who was in the women's semis in 2021 and 2020, most tennis fans wouldn't be able to name those two.
I wonder how many would be able to name them even now.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:22 pm
Proof of how hard it is to even remember Krajcikova. I started counting and indeed skipped her.
I didn’t forget Krejcikova, I was going off the list that Suliso posted of the rankings after RG points came off, which is a little misleading I guess as there could still be potentially 3 or 4 slam titles within the official top ten after RG finishes. But to me that is still staggeringly low. I have been googling random top tens in the open era and can’t find anything close to being that low. Even if you add in Barty’s 3, it would still be well under average, but she isn’t even in the rankings now.

I’m not saying this is a bad reflection on the WTA, I love how open things are, but I stand by my initial statement
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:Speaking of difficult to remember...
How about a couple of Roland Garros semi-finalists from the past two years - Zidansek and Podoroska...

In 2 years from now, if you ask who was in the women's semis in 2021 and 2020, most tennis fans wouldn't be able to name those two.
I wonder how many would be able to name them even now.
Can you remember the other losing semifinalist from 2020? No googling.

I Will remember Podoroska (and Trevisan from the quarters that year) because I believe she beat Svitolina, and it was a golden opportunity for Svitolina to get to a Slam final. Will remember Zidansek because I loved that run. I forget who she beat on the way, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:55 pm ...
Can you remember the other losing semifinalist from 2020? No googling.

I Will remember Podoroska (and Trevisan from the quarters that year) because I believe she beat Svitolina, and it was a golden opportunity for Svitolina to get to a Slam final. Will remember Zidansek because I loved that run. I forget who she beat on the way, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had to google it because you are right, I could not remember.
ESPN L. America had a huge promotion, day in and day out, of watching WTA tennis, featuring Podoroska. "Watch Nadia Podoroska and the other stars from the WTA..." Slowly it must have dawned on them that the sole way to watch Podoroska was to show her first round match, usually a losing one. She has really dropped off. Currently at 143.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Liamvalid wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:05 am

I didn’t forget Krejcikova, I was going off the list that Suliso posted of the rankings after RG points came off, which is a little misleading I guess as there could still be potentially 3 or 4 slam titles within the official top ten after RG finishes. But to me that is still staggeringly low. I have been googling random top tens in the open era and can’t find anything close to being that low. Even if you add in Barty’s 3, it would still be well under average, but she isn’t even in the rankings now.

I’m not saying this is a bad reflection on the WTA, I love how open things are, but I stand by my initial statement

You changed your criteria from top 8 to top 10, which is not necessarily an insignificant difference at any given time given who might be #9 or #10, especially Serena or Venus. I'm not sure why you were using Top 8 originally, but I thought potentially you were going for WTA Finals participants. By that measure, I'd say, stop looking at random years and start looking at recent ones. The current title total is not staggeringly low when going by that measurement. There were a total of 4 GS titles amongst the WTA Finals participants just last season, or 6 if you count Barty, who didn't compete there. And that's not the only year recently where the titles are in the single digits amongst the WTA Finalists.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

JazzNU wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:05 am

You changed your criteria from top 8 to top 10, which is not necessarily an insignificant difference at any given time given who might be #9 or #10, especially Serena or Venus. I'm not sure why you were using Top 8 originally, but I thought potentially you were going for WTA Finals participants. By that measure, I'd say, stop looking at random years and start looking at recent ones. The current title total is not staggeringly low when going by that measurement. There were a total of 4 GS titles amongst the WTA Finals participants just last season, or 6 if you count Barty, who didn't compete there. And that's not the only year recently where the titles are in the single digits amongst the WTA Finalists.
It was a simple observation in a quiet week before a slam. The first 8 players in Suliso’s list jumped out at me for only having one slam title amongst them. I changed my criteria to top ten because I was curious as to how this situation measures up to the top ten of previous eras. Maybe you’re right that this is more common in the last couple of years, but it’s not something that I have noticed much-until I saw Suliso’s list and investigated.
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Suliso wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 pm Ons is #2 in the race. Whether she can stay there past Wimbledon is very uncertain. I'd certainly not bet any money on it.
Good thing I didn't. Although she has 600 point advantage over #3-#5. If Iga wins RG and those three don't reach SF's she might still be there.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It took Swiatek ca 16 months from her first WTA level title (2020 RG) to #1 ranking. I wonder if anyone has done it even faster than that on either tour. Not easy to find out...

I don't recall a lot of hype before 2020 RG about her being a future dominant player.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Neither do I. But we did say she would not be a "one slam" wonder. That I recall was discussed and dismissed.
Looking solely at Graf. She won her 1st tournament at Hilton Island on April 13, 1986. She reached #1 after beating Evert at Los Angeles on August 17, 1987. So, it took her... 16 months too. Bit of a coincidence, I guess :)